Intel Ethernet Server Adapters - Retail vs OEM (Driver Support?)

mda

2[H]4U
Hello All,

Just would like to know the difference between OEM and Retail Intel Server Ethernet Adapters available on Amazon and Ebay.

I'm currently trying to setup a NIC team with my Windows 10 64bit Build 1803 to test LACP and stuff (and to further networking knowledge in general)

My I340-T4 is apparently no longer supported with Intel drivers (even if the NIC itself actually works fine).

I'm looking to get a replacement. I can get 50$ OEM I350-T4V2s on Ebay, or the retail product for about 350$.

Are there any differences as far as drivers or anything are concerned?

Apart from the I350-T4V2, is there any other NIC I should be considering? Looking for more than 2 ports, 1GBPS only.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Be careful buying Intel NICs on ebay. There are quite a few Chinese knockoffs that may or may not work. OEM (Dell, etc.) NICs use the same drivers and should offer the same performance as retail.

Thanks. I'm guessing it means all the $50 ones are out ;)

How about the gray ones in between? Amazon is listing some StarTech ones for about 200$. Retail is going between 350-400$

Edit: The StarTech one claims to be based on the I350-AM4.

I'm guessing my 75$ I340-T4s are fake too... :| bummer

Are there any places I can be assured that I'm getting a genuine card?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm guessing it means all the $50 ones are out ;)

How about the gray ones in between? Amazon is listing some StarTech ones for about 200$. Retail is going between 350-400$

Edit: The StarTech one claims to be based on the I350-AM4.

I'm guessing my 75$ I340-T4s are fake too... :| bummer

Are there any places I can be assured that I'm getting a genuine card?

I wouldn't automatically assume the cheaper ones are fake. If they are OEMs pulled from Dell servers, you should be ok. It's really down to how much risk you're willing to take.

This is slightly off topic, but do you think these could be original?

These are my I340-T4s.

Has a Lenovo PN and the DELTA label is etched into the chips. Soldering looks neat. Saw this thread but its more for the I350 T4...

For the I350, I'm thinking these should be ok?

Attachments

• 20180709_211020.jpg
    20180709_211020.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180709_211006.jpg
    20180709_211006.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would buy Dell OEMs, have had good luck with these over the years.
It appears those cards are fakes based off that thread, which would explain why they do not work. I do not see how a good card would not work.
Here is some intel documentation: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html
Here you'll note that w10 ships with an inbox driver, this means you put the card in, windows has a driver for it.
Yours do not work and appear to be fakes.

Back