Intel EMT64 - Will it work with 875p chipset?

Santos L. Halper

Limp Gawd
I've been looking at this Shuttle Box that uses the 875p chipset and the 775 socket.

Now that the new 6xx P4's have the EMT 64, do you need one of the 9xx chipsets to enable the EMT 64?

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up lately with the new Intel chipsets. The Shuttle looks like a good deal for me because I don't have to get new memory or replace my AGP 6800GT.

I want to stick with Intel for the HT becasue I do a lot of multimedia content creation.

EM64T works with even 865 motherboards. The same question was asked just a couple of weeks ago here. EM64T is available in Socket 478 P4 EE processors (Xeon Gallatin core w/2MB L3), the 3.2/3.4/3.6 "F" LGA775 processors (1MB Prescott cores) and of course now in the 600 series processors.

Intel's page shows 915 and 925 chipsets are compatible with the 600 series processors. Certain Asus and DFI 875p/LGA775 motherboards works with 600 series CPUs, but support will be spotty in general. 600 series processors require BIOS support.

Thanks for the quick reply pxc.

After reading your post and seeing that the 600 series require BIOS support, I went to Shuttles site.

Under their BIOS section, the SB77G5 was given a BIOS update on 02/01/2005. One of the updates was, "New Intel Processor Support." It doesn't specifically say 600 series.

I've emailed Shuttle and will post my findings.

xonik said:
Since when? Intel seems to disagree with you on both the chipset and the processor you mentioned.
Because I saw someone at xtremesystems with a Shuttle XPC (865 chipset) and a socket 478 P4 EE w/EM64T harvested from a Dell system.

The S478 P4 EE uses the Xeon core, but it is not a Xeon. I didn't bother clicking the links because I think you misunderstood what a Gallatin core P4 EE is. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031103145650.html press release-speak: "The new Pentium 4 Extreme Edition is fully compatible with existing Socket 478 infrastructure based on i865PE/i865G and i875P core-logic and supporting the 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus." Read some old reviews for the S478 P4 EE if you still don't believe me.

No, I provided the Xeon link to demonstrate to you that neither the P4 EE nor the Xeon from which it was derived supports EM64T. As far as Intel says on its own product site, no Socket 478 CPUs support EM64T.

As far as the Xtremesystems guy is concerned, I bet he's mistaken. I've heard nothing to support the idea that the Socket 478 platform or the i875P chipset supports EM64T or will ever support it.

Oops, not the Northwood-based Gallatin, it was a Nocona 2MB L3 core. :eek:

And yes, there was at least one Socket 478 EM64T processor model. It wasn't a "desktop" model just like my P4 3.4F wasn't a desktop model. I harvested that CPU from a Dell server, which is what that guy on xtremesystems did.

Hmm, if Intel made a Socket 478 processor with EM64T, it's not listed in any conspicuous location. You got me stumped.

I talked to Shuttle and read some threads on another forum.

In order to get the EM64T to work on the Shuttle SB77G5 you need to do a BIOS upgrade.

What I can't figure out is if the one's shipping from the egg or anywhere else right now
have the newest BIOS.

I've read some real horror stories of people getting the 6xx processor and it not working in
the SB77G5 until they upgraded the BIOS. Some of them had to ship the unit to Shuttle
because they didn't have an extra CPU layin' around.

No real way of knowing if the box you order has the latest BIOS.

Santos L. Halper said:
I've read some real horror stories of people getting the 6xx processor and it not working in
the SB77G5 until they upgraded the BIOS. Some of them had to ship the unit to Shuttle
because they didn't have an extra CPU layin' around.

No real way of knowing if the box you order has the latest BIOS.

I want to get the new Pentium 4 630 and put it in a Foxconn 915P motherboard. My fear is that after I get it I will have to send it back to get the bois updated.

Will the motherboard see the 630 properly enough to atleast update the bios so that I can use the x64 or should I call newegg and make sure that the bios has been updated before they send it to me?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Shane

Yes...please tell me there is a EM64 478 option at all - I'll deal with the BIOS later!

Back