Intel E8400 Overclocking Suggestion

Deltek

n00b
Whats your other components? The e8400 has a 9x multi, almost all e8400s are able to reach 9x 400 (fsb), that is provided your motherboard can do 400 (or frequently called 1600fsb). Close to or beyond 4ghz should be possible and quite safe on air. I for example have a e8400 C0 chip that I am running at 3870mhz (9x430) @ 1.32v. If you have the newer E0 stepping you should be able to do better. I am using a Tuniq Tower and it keeps the chip pretty cool. Idle 32-34c and full load lower 50s (since the artic silver 5 set in upper 40s)

That motherboard's max supported FSB is 1333, same as the fsb on the e8400. Which means that any oc you get is going to dependant on what your board will allow. You may want to start your oc'ing process off with decreasing the multiplier and slowly upping the fsb. This will allow to see how limited you are by your motherboard, while keeping your cpu stable (it will be running at a much lower speed). Once you have found your max fsb you can start increased the multiplier and vcore. Since you are new to oc'ing you should look at guides, know what the options mean in your bios and be very patient.

If you get the Xigmatek linked above, check out the retention bracket as well since it makes installation much easier and you don't have to worry if the push pins will let go one day resulting in a half-pound block of aluminum crashing into your GPU.

Back