intel E6600, E6700 or X6800?

lukx

Limp Gawd
I want to get new Intel but I'm not sure which one to get. I don't know if speed I could gain is worth 600$ more for X6800 instead of E6700. I'm not even sure if 200$ is well spent if you can get E6600? . What do you think?

i don't mean to be condescending but chances are that if you have to ask you are not a "hardcore" gamer so like me you should look into the e6300 and 6400 as they will be just fine for 'casual' gamers like us, also if you are coming from a pentium 4 or mid range AMD CPU's you will notice a noticable :))) difference.

i don't know a lot about overclocking but i heard that the 6800 has something unlocked that allows you to overclock and underclock it a lot, so if you are into the 'entheusiast' scene you might wanna look into it.

Ok I will add more details then :) I'm not into OC and never will be :). Right now I got AMD x2 4400. I like to play games from time to time but mostly I need my machine for 3d and 2d work (3dsmax, photoshop, premiere). I don't wnat to throw away money for nothing just to have 200mhz more and don't noticed any speed difference.

Id say, if your just doing 2d/3d editing and stuff, just keep what you got. No sense in spending a whole lot of money just to make something process or finishing like 3 seconds earlier. That 4400 x2 is plenty good for what youll be doing. If you want some extra performance, look into overclocking. Most of these X2's are great overclockers. You should be able to atleast get like 2.6ghz or so. I have my opteron 170 dual core at 2.7ghz and Im very happy with it. I probably wont do a cpu upgrade for a while. I do alot of gaming so the video card is much more important when you already have a decently fast cpu.

Im not trying to talk to you out of getting a conroe, but you just have to look at what you do. Im sure youd see a performance increase but if it were me and I just was doing 2d/3d editing, any dual core will be plenty, but its your choice. Those conroes do look sweet but going from amd would mean cpu, mobo, and mem. Not worth it for me right now.

lukx said:
Ok I will add more details then :) I'm not into OC and never will be :).

Then buy the fastest chip you can afford.

lukx said:
I don't wnat to throw away money for nothing just to have 200mhz more and don't noticed any speed difference.

E6600 2.4 GHz
E6700 2.67 GHz
E6800 2.97 GHz

The difference is more than 200 Mhz between chips. You can read benchmarks on your own to decide if the difference is worth it.

Nirad9er said:
Id say, if your just doing 2d/3d editing and stuff, just keep what you got. No sense in spending a whole lot of money just to make something process or finishing like 3 seconds earlier.

I don' think you've looked at the 3D editing benchmarks very closely. The difference is more than 3 seconds :)

Okay but I'm not sure if this would be money wisely spent.

I'm done holding your hand. There are tons of reviews out there with pretty graphs that can help you decide.

My P4b still games like a champ with an x800 (just starting to hit that plateu), that 4400 of yours is fine...spend the money on the video card or bring yourself up to 2 gigs of ram. Until mainstream games make more use of dual core it doesn't seem all that important to dump what you have (by then there will be quad core). The reason I myself in looking to the Conroe is because my desktop is still AGP and i've peaked with video card upgrades. So it makes sense for me to get a new setup because I need the new architecture.

About graphic card and ram I got 4GB Ram and Evga 7900 GTX graphic card. Hmm... So maybe you're right it's not too good idea to get this Conroe.

None of them. The E6600 and E6700 are shaping up to be poor overclockers, most people are hitting a wall at 3.3GHz, and the X6800 is just plain too expensive. Get the E6400 and take it to an easy 3GHz.

Wait, nevermind that. If you only have a single 7900GTX and are only gaming, then don't upgrade. Unless you are encoding media, a new CPU will gain you nothing. Instead of getting a Conroe board and processor, spend your money on a 16x SLI board and a second 7900GTX.

InorganicMatter said:
None of them. The E6600 and E6700 are shaping up to be poor overclockers, most people are hitting a wall at 3.3GHz, and the X6800 is just plain too expensive. Get the E6400 and take it to an easy 3GHz.

Wait, nevermind that. If you only have a single 7900GTX and are only gaming, then don't upgrade. Unless you are encoding media, a new CPU will gain you nothing. Instead of getting a Conroe board and processor, spend your money on a 16x SLI board and a second 7900GTX.

Poor overclockers? Are you on crack? How is 1ghz overclock on a E6600 on air, a 'poor overclock'?

He said he wasn't even into overclocking so the fact that guy thinks a 1GHz oc is poor isn't even an issue.

Just stick with what you have.

if you can afford it go balls the wall & get a X6800!!

unlocked multiplier and highest speed bin, should overclock the best / easiest

and your whole "I don't overclock" attitude NEEDS TO GO!!

OVERCLOCK EVERYTHING OR GET OUT THE DAMN FORUM!! :eek:

I'd get the E6600. It will outperform an AMD FX-62 stock for stock, especially in the media type apps you are running.

I would recommend at least doing some basic OCing though. You have nothing to risk by bumping the FSB a bit (you can't kill a Processor or Mobo from just an FSB bump, only if you get into voltage mods. If you just bump the FSB, the absolute worst you might have to do is pull the CMOS battery to reset the mobo to stock settings).

But yeah, the 6700 and 6800EE aren't worth it at the moment, the extra cache of the 6600 will help you in the apps you are using, that is the one I would pick. (and I wouldn't be surprised if it could hit at least 3.0 Ghz on stock air with no thermal paste/heatsink/voltage changes.)

lukx said:
I want to get new Intel but I'm not sure which one to get. I don't know if speed I could gain is worth 600$ more for X6800 instead of E6700. I'm not even sure if 200$ is well spent if you can get E6600? . What do you think?

I second what's posted on post #15!

NulloModo said:
I'd get the E6600. It will outperform an AMD FX-62 stock for stock, especially in the media type apps you are running.

I would recommend at least doing some basic OCing though. You have nothing to risk by bumping the FSB a bit (you can't kill a Processor or Mobo from just an FSB bump, only if you get into voltage mods. If you just bump the FSB, the absolute worst you might have to do is pull the CMOS battery to reset the mobo to stock settings).

But yeah, the 6700 and 6800EE aren't worth it at the moment, the extra cache of the 6600 will help you in the apps you are using, that is the one I would pick. (and I wouldn't be surprised if it could hit at least 3.0 Ghz on stock air with no thermal paste/heatsink/voltage changes.)

Totally agree. I have an E6600, and this is coming from a dude who bought fx51s, fx53s, fx55s, and and X2 4800+ when each wwas new and $1000 a pop. forget that. I am not buying $1k processors anymore. For the 5-105 increase you spend an extra 50%. I hte when I see people buying a sick cpu, and skimping on other parts, many of which are vital like psus.

If you can afford it, then fine, knock yourself out, but then you could always use that cash for a better psu, better ram, and nice aluminum case, etc.

IMAO, the E6600 is the sweetspot. Better than an fx-62 at $350? C'mon, this is a no brainer.

FlimFlam said:
Totally agree. I have an E6600, and this is coming from a dude who bought fx51s, fx53s, fx55s, and and X2 4800+ when each wwas new and $1000 a pop. forget that. I am not buying $1k processors anymore. For the 5-105 increase you spend an extra 50%. I hte when I see people buying a sick cpu, and skimping on other parts, many of which are vital like psus.

If you can afford it, then fine, knock yourself out, but then you could always use that cash for a better psu, better ram, and nice aluminum case, etc.

IMAO, the E6600 is the sweetspot. Better than an fx-62 at $350? C'mon, this is a no brainer.

I wanted the E6600 badly but also needed another video card. Out of money and over my Rig's budget, I went the $80 cheaper E6400 and X1800XT instead of X1900. Some times you have skimp.

FlimFlam said:

BTW, its IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) or Honest.... whats IMAO ? In My Assinine Opinion or laughing My Ass Off ? ! :p

Thats what is sitting at the FedEx location waiting for me after 3pm! (an e6600)

But I didn't even consider spending $1000. I've always bought the cheapest of the new line of processors and overclocked them to at least as fast as the top of the line / EE or faster, usually a 50% OC!

IE:
Pentium 3 600e OC'd to 900Mhz
Pentium 3 700e OC'd to 1050Mhz
Pentium 4 1.6a OC to 2.4Ghz
Pentium 4 2.4C OC'd to 3.6Ghz
Pentium D 920 OC'd to 4Ghz (broke my streak of 50% overclocks)

I did buy a used 3.4EE in there too, but it was used and "cheap", after a few months I sold it for more than I paid for it! :)

I'm kinda shooting for a 50% OC with my 6600... if I can reach 3.6Ghz at 400FSB, I'll be back on track. I almost go the 6300, but I wanted the 4Mb cache. I know it will pay off on some app somewhere. Where / when I don't know yet.

aldamon said:
I'm done holding your hand. There are tons of reviews out there with pretty graphs that can help you decide.
That was fairly condescending...remember we aren't just here to show off our e-penii...we're here to help others out too.

chrisf6969 said:
Thats what is sitting at the FedEx location waiting for me after 3pm!

(an e6600)

But I didn't even consider spending $1000. I've always bought the cheapest of the new line of processors and overclocked them to at least as fast as the top of the line / EE or faster, usually a 50% OC!

IE:

I did buy a used 3.4EE in there too, but it was used and "cheap", after a few months I sold it for more than I paid for it! :)

I'm kinda shooting for a 50% OC with my 6600... if I can reach 3.6Ghz at 400FSB, I'll be back on track. I almost go the 6300, but I wanted the 4Mb cache. I know it will pay off on some app somewhere. Where / when I don't know yet.

SUPER! :)

I agree about the E6600 as the best choice. I also use my rig primarily for multimedia apps (pro audio) and the E6600 was an easy choice. I get the added perf from the 4MB cache and I can do a light OC and get it past the speed of an E6700.

And it wipes the floor with an FX-62... all for $350... yeah... that was a pretty easy decision.

WATYF

Thank you all very much! I really aprecciate all your help. I got just one more thing. If someone already got E6600, E6700 or X6800 and got some spare time to run few test for me using demo versions of 3dsmax and vray it would really help me. Please contact me via e-mail it can be found on my website: www.lukx.com. Thank you all again!

chrisf6969 said:
BTW, its IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) or Honest.... whats IMAO ? In My Assinine Opinion or laughing My Ass Off ? ! :p

Thats what is sitting at the FedEx location waiting for me after 3pm! (an e6600)

IE:

Wow, you upgrade a lot.

I went from:
286 PS/2
100 Mhz Pentium
133 Mhz Pentium
333 (I think) Mhz K6
450 Mhz K6-2 (after I fried the previous system)
2.4 Ghz P4 (still current rig)

chrisf6969 said:
Sounds to me like you got a pretty good deal. Wait a minute....you bought that from me!?!? :mad: :p

How much did you get out of it? :)

chrisf6969 said:

In my ARROGANT opinion, jackass!
:p

oC|-TiTaN said:
Sounds to me like you got a pretty good deal. Wait a minute....you bought that from me!?!? :mad: :p

How much did you get out of it? :)

well I sold it for I think $50 more than I paid... but once I paid ebay, shipping, etc...it wasn't much profit! ;)

edit: actually, I just looked at my paypal account... trying to remember.... after paypal fee, ebay listing fee, and shipping I about broke even. (might have made $10)

lol nice, oh well, it was a good chip while I had it and hopefully was for you too!

Just thought about something...my first Intel chip was a P4 2.4c and now this next-gen blazing chip is....a 2.4 again lol. Amazing the performance they squeeze out of these at the same clocks.

Back