Intel DQ45EK or DG45FC Mini ITX for server?

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
I was wanting to build a cheap small server to replace my full tower server I've been using. I have a fractal design node 304 case so need to find an ITX board to use. I have a few socket 775 cpus that I could repurpose and these are the only two socket 775 boards that I can find that have 5 sata ports. Is there any reason that either of these would not work fine as a media server paired up with a E8500? I'll need to do some transcoding but that has been working fine with my E2180. Thanks

Have you been able find these boards for sale? Do you have DDR2 ram laying around?
Unless you get a cheap board and DDR2 it might even be better to invest in a newer cpu.

Some Intel dual core pentium/celeron go for pretty cheap.

There are no itx socket 775 boards....

I see combos all the time for i3s in itx boards with memory for under 200 bucks on craiglist

There are no itx socket 775 boards....

I see combos all the time for i3s in itx boards with memory for under 200 bucks on craiglist

They are not common but both the boards I listed are itx socket 775 and there are others as well. I think the DG45FC was geared more towards the HTPC market though and the DQ45EK for office computers. Since its from intel, I'm guessing the build quality should be pretty good.

Have you been able find these boards for sale? Do you have DDR2 ram laying around?
Unless you get a cheap board and DDR2 it might even be better to invest in a newer cpu.

Some Intel dual core pentium/celeron go for pretty cheap.

Both boards can by purchased new off of ebay for close to $50-$55. I have the DDR2 ram and everything else I'd need.
There isn't much info out on these boards and what little I can find is for HTPC or carputer uses. Just wanted to see if anyone had been using them for a server.

I used the DQ45EK for a little server years ago. It was a nice motherboard, I didn't have any problems with it. I bought a short e-sata to sata adapter and routed the sata cable inside for 6 ports. I think all 6 worked anyway, I don't actually remember using it. I probably could test it though, I still have it and my other socket 775 parts collecting dust in my closet.

I did a little write up on it here.

Edit: Oops, there are 5 total sata ports and I did use all 5. 4 hot swap drives and 1 os drive connected to the internally routed e-sata.

Last edited:
I used the DQ45EK for a little server years ago. It was a nice motherboard, I didn't have any problems with it. I bought a short e-sata to sata adapter and routed the sata cable inside for 6 ports. I think all 6 worked anyway, I don't actually remember using it. I probably could test it though, I still have it and my other socket 775 parts collecting dust in my closet.

I did a little write up on it here.

Edit: Oops, there are 5 total sata ports and I did use all 5. 4 hot swap drives and 1 os drive connected to the internally routed e-sata.

Thanks, this was the kind of info I was looking for. I already ordered a DQ45EK from ebay. I was able to get it for $32 shipped. This will let me move over from my full tower to the fractal design node 304. I'll have to drop down to 5 drives instead of 8 that I have know but this isn't really an issue with larger drives being available now.

Back