Intel Discloses 14nm Manufacturing Process Technical Details

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel today disclosed details of its newest microarchitecture that is optimized with Intel's industry-leading 14nm manufacturing process. Together these technologies will provide high-performance and low-power capabilities to serve a broad array of computing needs and products from the infrastructure of cloud computing and the Internet of Things to personal and mobile computing.

Key Points:
  • Intel disclosed details of the microarchitecture of the Intel® Core™ M processor, the first product to be manufactured using 14nm.
  • The combination of the new microarchitecture and manufacturing process will usher in a wave of innovation in new form factors, experiences and systems that are thinner and run silent and cool.
  • Intel architects and chip designers have achieved greater than two times reduction in the thermal design point when compared to a previous generation of processor while providing similar performance and improved battery life.
  • The new microarchitecture was optimized to take advantage of the new capabilities of the 14nm manufacturing process.
  • Intel has delivered the world's first 14nm technology in volume production. It uses second-generation Tri-gate (FinFET) transistors with industry-leading performance, power, density and cost per transistor.
  • Intel's 14nm technology will be used to manufacture a wide range of high-performance to low-power products including servers, personal computing devices and Internet of Things.
  • The first systems based on the Intel® Core™ M processor will be on shelves for the holiday selling season followed by broader OEM availability in the first half of 2015.
  • Additional products based on the Broadwell microarchitecture and 14nm process technology will be introduced in the coming months.

Hell, yeah! :p

QQmFJZt.jpg

A few months ago when Intel announced the 14nm delay, it mentioned some changes to the tri-gate process which were riskier than in its 22nm process. Some of the new specifications and scaling look fantastic, and Intel didn't mention exactly what was riskier about these changes yet. I wonder if it will be as tricky to accomplish as HKMG.

The new 14nm tri-gate process (multigate FET with three channels) is riskier than the 22nm because the technology: a gate surrounding the channel on all three sides of the transistor has never been done before, driving up production costs and potentially lowering profit margins.

Given the state of today's technology, chips can only get so small and the top producers of microchips must take risks in order to drive progress. Without such risks, we might as well give in to denying Moore's Law altogether and forget about ever having a global society with imprinted biotechnic (Physics of the Impossible, Michio Kaku) peoples.

I'll believe it when I see it. All those claims of 5Ghz on Air for the latest proc ended up being bullshit. We just know Intel is not above fluffing specifications for hype.

Being on the Retail Edge program that is exactly how I feel after taking 100 +learning modules.

The jump from 22nm to 14nm must not be that good for Intel to have to resort to this much hype. Release the product already and let it speak for itself.

I would like to see 14nm be better than 32nm was at >4GHz. I do not believe 22nm was much of improvement when frequencies were over 4GHz.

I'll believe it when I see it. All those claims of 5Ghz on Air for the latest proc ended up being bullshit. We just know Intel is not above fluffing specifications for hype.
The competition was open for the public to see and pictures of how MSI got 5.5GHz on "air" were reported at the time. http://pics.computerbase.de/5/7/8/3/5/2_m.jpg (click saver: liquid loop outside of case with air to fan chilled via LN2)

It seems you're angry at being mislead by tech site click-bait headlines and poor reporting by the same or others. :p

The competition was open for the public to see and pictures of how MSI got 5.5GHz on "air" were reported at the time. http://pics.computerbase.de/5/7/8/3/5/2_m.jpg (click saver: liquid loop outside of case with air to fan chilled via LN2)

It seems you're angry at being mislead by tech site click-bait headlines and poor reporting by the same or others. :p

Seems you're selectively quoting a single site and intentionally misrepresenting what I said.

The statement of being able to do 5Ghz on Air came DIRECTLY FROM INTEL THEMSELVES.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/09/intel_devils_canyon_good_bad_ugly/

TFA said:
Intel has specially spelled out that this new Devil's Canyon processor has "Robust Overclocking Capabilities." Many were expecting 5GHz overclocking on air with this processor. Why are we expecting 5GHz overclocking on air? That would be because that is what Intel is quoted as saying.

It can be overclocked to 5GHz in air-cooled systems, said Renee James, president of Intel, during a keynote speech at the Computex trade show in Taipei.

We do know that Intel communicated to hardware ODMs that it "rather enthusiastically" expected 5GHz on air cooling with Devil's Canyon.

The new 14nm tri-gate process (multigate FET with three channels) is riskier than the 22nm because the technology: a gate surrounding the channel on all three sides of the transistor has never been done before, driving up production costs and potentially lowering profit margins.
Intel 22nm was already FinFET.

The jump from 22nm to 14nm must not be that good for Intel to have to resort to this much hype. Release the product already and let it speak for itself.

Nah the main issue is that it's 6+ months delayed, so they have to keep on hyping it to keep investors, partners, and to a lesser extent consumers, satisfied

Back