Intel DG33TL and E8400 Intel Core2Duo did anyone have these weird issues like me??

I have an Intel DG33TL microATX motherboard and an Intel C2D E8400 3Ghz processor.

Problem:
1.) I think my motherboard temperature sensor is reversed.
2.) Getting on my processor heatsink felt like it was going to break my motherboard. If I look at the underside of the motherboard it looks like there is stress on it. I've NEVER seen this happen before on the 20+ computer builds I've done

I'm a firmware revision or two behind (I Think I'm Januarry), but BIOS release notes don't show a fix for temp.

When at Idle Intel Desktop Utility shows my CPU Temperature at 73 Celcius. When I'm encoding audio, video, or if I have 100% CPU usage it quickly drops to 32-35 Celcius. The longer it is at 100% the lower the temperature goes. This is CRAZY. I'm air cooling and there is no way the processor can be cooler than everything else in my case. My Chipset temperature shows it is around 40 C.

I've updated the latest software, I've reset to defaults as intel support says, but still reversed temps. I think there may have been a hardware manufacturing boo boo where they put the sensor on backwards or something. If my computer is off all day in a cool house, as soon as I boot up and go to the BIOS hardware monitoring section it says it's 73C . It says 73C all the time unless I do something processor intensive and then it shoots down so the software is correct in telling me. The BIOS is reading wrong and the software reads from the BIOS.

I've seen lots of these motherboards around and want to know if i'm the only person seeing this temp thing.

Also, I'd like to hear experiences about putting on heat sinks. Do you feel like your heat sink was that difficult to get on the motherboard?

I didn't install the stock heatsink, but it shouldn't have been any more difficult than installing my TRUE..which was fairly painless.

As for your temps, this is a known issue with E8400's. Make sure you have the latest BIOS. The G33 chipset should work fine, but they've already moved to the G35 chipset. Do you have another processor to try in this board? Any old socket 775 P4 will do. Then you can verify if the motherboard is truly to blame. I have a 780i based board and I'm not convinced I get true temps. No one really complains about this because the chips over clock so well.

That's pretty funny. Have you tried any other temp monitoring utility? Some are said to be buggy with the new 45nm cpu's. Look for RealTemp, CoreTemp, and even EVEREST. If those show the same problem then there's definitely something up with your sensors but if its not shutting down or throttling, I wouldn't worry about it if you just plan on running stock. Installing the Intel heatsink when I first built this machine with a E2180 was a pain in the ass but thats because I didn't realize that I needed to apply more force than I was giving it. New components, figured I'd try not to break it the first day. :p

Thanks for the replies.

caw2007
I'm going to update the BIOS here shortly. No other CPU's to use. I came from an AMD only kind of computer world, but I'm liking the Intel so far. I might buy a new heatsink.

skizzled
I haven't tried another monitoring utility, I assumed it was correct because the BIOS shows around the same temps after a reboot. I didn't want to break mine either, maybe that's why it was a pain. I'll try some of my old utils i have laying around. thanks!

WOAH. I said it was fixed. It's now even acting CRAZIER after the update. It's showing my processor at 46 now instead of 73, but the temperature still goes down while my motherboard temp goes way UP.

Intel has some temp things to fix...... I'm installing other software now...

OLD INCORRECT INFORMATION
"Just for an Update. I just got through updating to the March 06, 2008 firmware and my temperature is now fixed. It now shows 46 C for my processor temperature and goes up when i'm doing heavy processor usage.

Thanks for everything. I think i'll be good to go now with the Intel Desktop Utility software."

Back