Intel Devil's Canyon Core Processor Presentation @ [H]

I have had my 2700k@ 4.6ghz for over 2 yrs now and still cant justify upgrading as yet. It seems i may get something like 5% increase in games. All games currently run very smooth, so to buy new mobo, cpu, ram for 5% just doesnt cut it.

When i can see over 15%-20% increase I will consider a CPU upgrade, I'll have to wait for some benchmarks.

I already had a 2600k that stably hits 5.2Ghz on air, imagine my disappointment when my 3770k topped out at 4.8Ghz on air.You are a wise man for waiting, Sandy Bridge, was the best upgrade I ever had (from a 1090t). I'm very hopeful that with IPC improvements and at least a 5.2Ghz OC on DC will bring that feeling back.

Z68 can handle PCIe 3.0 just fine if your motherboard manufacturer keeps up with its BIOS updates. I have a Asrock Extreme3 Gen 3 and I can pop in an IB CPU which enables PCIe 3.0 so long as I have the latest BIOS which activates it.

So it does. Good to know. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I also have a 2500K that I only OC to 4.0Ghz. There is nothing in this refresh that makes me want to go out and spend $500+ to upgrade this system. The speeds will not justify the cost or work involved. Unless you have money to burn or just want to tinker, wait for either the Haswell-E line or Broadwell.

I'm not interested in HSE; I expect the pricetags on that to be a little high for my tastes (especially given that I'd have to buy DDR4). Also, I so rarely do anything that would use that many cores that I don't feel that I would see a benefit.

Similarly, I don't expect anything worth noting coming out of broadwell. Although it's being released on the desktop, everything I've heard points to it being even more mobile-focused than haswell (ie uninteresting for desktop).

As for why I want to upgrade my CPU? Honestly, I can't sustain TF2 at 120fps (useful when you own a 120Hz monitor). Yes, it's petty.

So it does. Good to know. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm not interested in HSE; I expect the pricetags on that to be a little high for my tastes (especially given that I'd have to buy DDR4). Also, I so rarely do anything that would use that many cores that I don't feel that I would see a benefit.

Similarly, I don't expect anything worth noting coming out of broadwell. Although it's being released on the desktop, everything I've heard points to it being even more mobile-focused than haswell (ie uninteresting for desktop).

As for why I want to upgrade my CPU? Honestly, I can't sustain TF2 at 120fps (useful when you own a 120Hz monitor). Yes, it's petty.

Not sure if overclocking + slightly better performance is worth 50% more than the $199.99 e3-1230v2 which you can most likely just drop into your board for cheap.

$280 for 4790k+probably at least $50 for a new board (even after $40 discount) = $330 vs $199 for a drop in upgrade.

Your call. I'd go for the cheaper option personally....

I really might want to upgrade from my POS 4770k that can't overclock AT ALL and I spent all this money on a custom loop.

Does anyone know if they are compatible with my Z87 board or do I need to get a new one?

I am certainly going to be in for one from MC. Been on this i7-860 @ 4.22 for too long!

Already ordered/received: Rosewill Challenger, HX850w, 16gb Team Xtreme 2400mhz DDR3, H80i AIO, Asus optical drive, and an extra HDD. Going to reuse my current SSD, HDD, GTX680 and ASUS sonar.

Once the GTX880 releases I will complete the build and use the current 680 for physx. Looking forward to it.

I really might want to upgrade from my POS 4770k that can't overclock AT ALL and I spent all this money on a custom loop.

Does anyone know if they are compatible with my Z87 board or do I need to get a new one?

Should work just fine as long as your mobo manufacturer provides the bios updated required.

Did you read the article? It fully addressed this.

Are you using any fps configs? Hell I have an e6600 and can stay above 120fps for decent chunks of time w/ the dx8 fps configs

Just got this from ShopBLT

BVT6377 CORE I7-4790K FC-LGA12C 4.1G 8MB TRAY 351.90
MFG #: CM8064601710501
ETA TO WAREHOUSE: 06/13/14

Am I the only on that thinks its strange how long its taken a cpu to have a stock frequency of 4ghz? With the Pentium 4's they got as far as 3.4 or so then the change to core 2 bumped us back much lower but obviously much better performance. Seemed like it took a while for a push for the clock frequencies to substantially get bumped for stock clocks.

Two of your points are off
No so fast...

-My current board is Z68, so I wouldn't get a PCIe upgrade (without buying a new motherboard)
Z68 boards support PCIe 3.0 just fine as long as an Iveybridge CPU is installed in them.

As an example, here's my current motherboard. Z68 and PCIe 3.0 ready: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68VGEN3/

-DC is still using DDR3, so I can just move my current RAM
My point was that you probably wouldn't want to use your current RAM. If you built your system for Sandybridge, you probably went with DDR3 1600, which isn't exactly ideal for a build based on DC.

This all day long.........The E3-1230 V2 is the best kept secret CPU available today.
What's so special about it, exactly? He already has a 2500k @ 4.0GHz... so he'd be swapping to a lower-clocked processor, but gaining hyperthreading, and losing all ability to overclock.

Seems like it would be a wash, for the most part.

Last edited:
No so fast...

My point was that you probably wouldn't want to use your current RAM. If you built your system for Sandybridge, you probably went with DDR3 1600, which isn't exactly ideal for a build based on DC.

What's so special about it, exactly? He already has a 2500k @ 4.0GHz... so he'd be swapping to a lower-clocked processor, but gaining hyperthreading, and losing all ability to overclock.

Seems like it would be a wash, for the most part.

I never paid much attention to memory speeds. In the "old times". The Real live difference between 1333, 1600 and 1866 were so neglible, that there was no point in paying more for nothing gained. There was even recently test at Tom's that wasn't showing much differences.

DC really changes the game so much that it will require faster ram, and the effects will be noticeable?

And if the prices of DC in my country are similar or bit higher than 4770k, I think I'll wait for Haswell-E. It will be like $150 difference in CPU price for likes of 4930k, mobos won't be much more expensive than z97... But I'll get much more PCI lanes. Guess the upgrade time will be like beginning of next year, when ddr4 prices will calm down. And by that moment, my 2500k should be enough.

The Real live difference between 1333, 1600 and 1866 were so neglible, that there was no point in paying more for nothing gained. There was even recently test at Tom's that wasn't showing much differences..

Anandtech seems to show there than can indeed be quite a difference between 1333, 1600 and 1866 depending on what you are actually doing.

Most of you seem mostly interested in the i7 and i5 part. Is anyone going to get the pentium and go balls to the wall with it? Last chip like that I remember is the Pentium D 805(I think that was it). I wish they would make an awesome 4 thread cpu though since Dual Core is finally starting to show its age with gaming.

Am I the only on that thinks its strange how long its taken a cpu to have a stock frequency of 4ghz? With the Pentium 4's they got as far as 3.4 or so then the change to core 2 bumped us back much lower but obviously much better performance. Seemed like it took a while for a push for the clock frequencies to substantially get bumped for stock clocks.

Maybe its because they haven't had enough competition. AMD has a couple 4GHz+ chips due to its inferior IPC.

Most of you seem mostly interested in the i7 and i5 part. Is anyone going to get the pentium and go balls to the wall with it? Last chip like that I remember is the Pentium D 805(I think that was it). I wish they would make an awesome 4 thread cpu though since Dual Core is finally starting to show its age with gaming.
Yeah I think its foolish to buy a Z97 board and good cooling for a freaking Pentuim dual core chip at this point if modern gaming is important. As I already showed Crysis 3 will not even be really playable on high or very high settings with dual core cpu and many other games are a starting to push 4 cores close to the edge.

On the European side of the pond, Caseking.de lists then at 299 euro with release date of 27th June. Price is same about 10 euro higher than 4770k

Meh. That's the same review I saw yesterday. It's poppycock. 4.7Ghz is not "average" for a 4770k. Most people will be happy with 4.7Ghz because most of the 4770k's were stuck around 4.2Ghz-4.5.

I think it is realistic to think you might only get 4.7Ghz out of DC, but comparing it to a 4770k that could do 4.8 is not fair. That's a golden sample.
Isn't that a review sample 4790k? Well pretty much every big tech site got 4.7 out of their 4770k review samples. And we all know hardly any retail cpus at all could do that. So if anything this makes the 4790k look even worse if that is anything to go by since its supposed to oc higher.

Let's wait and see what the [H] comes up with. I wasn't at all satisfied with the review at PCPer. Also, they failed to mention what BIOS version they were using on that ASUS board. ASUS put out a BIOS update for all its Z97 boards last week to add additional support for DC CPUs and overclocking. Were they running the latest BIOS or the original release version? I trust Kyle and crew to do a more thorough investigation and hope to see their take on it any day now.

Let's wait and see what the [H] comes up with. I wasn't at all satisfied with the review at PCPer. Also, they failed to mention what BIOS version they were using on that ASUS board. ASUS put out a BIOS update for all its Z97 boards last week to add additional support for DC CPUs and overclocking. Were they running the latest BIOS or the original release version? I trust Kyle and crew to do a more thorough investigation and hope to see their take on it any day now.

Expect something in the morning. I am trying to get my ducks in line here to give you guys a better look at to what exactly is going on here, and quite frankly it has not been all transparent on the overclocking side. I do have good information to share on a large group of CPUs and how overclocking went with those instead of just our one ES.

My i5 750 is old enough that this does indeed seem like a decent upgrade (now that I can afford one).

Yeah that post doesnt fill me with a ton of confidence. Hope that PC Per review was just a bad sample and we can expect 4.8 to 5.0 overclocks on the majority of them. I was pretty sure that DC was going to be the chip that finally yanks me over to the dark side of Intel because it would be a lot more fun to play with but if its no better than a 4770K or only marginally, I think Ill wait for Haswell-E or maybe even Broadwell before I jump ship to a whole new platform.

Yeah that post doesnt fill me with a ton of confidence. Hope that PC Per review was just a bad sample and we can expect 4.8 to 5.0 overclocks on the majority of them. I was pretty sure that DC was going to be the chip that finally yanks me over to the dark side of Intel because it would be a lot more fun to play with but if its no better than a 4770K or only marginally, I think Ill wait for Haswell-E or maybe even Broadwell before I jump ship to a whole new platform.
Probably should have jumped back when Sandybridge came out, honestly. Intel is making sure it has one heck of a long run by not releasing anything substantially faster.

chips hit the 4.6-4.7ghz wall pretty hard.
rebadged haswell.

chips hit the 4.6-4.7ghz wall pretty hard.
rebadged haswell.

Marginal improvements to voltage regulation on the chip, it does run pretty damn cool while being a modest increase in MHz over the 4770. The 'revolutionary' TIM looks like it has very little to do with the cooling factor as well.

My hypothesis is these chips just don't accept increased voltage well. Yup I'm a genius!

Hi

Just received my DC

Temperature might be an issue to get higher frequency

Ambiant : 28°C / CPU IDLE : 35°C / CPU BURN (prime95) : 75°C
Cooler : NCH14
Case : Obsidian 250D

Last edited:
Back