Intel Devil's Canyon Core Processor Presentation @ [H]

4.5 vs 4.5 would be a good middle ground. Most people can hit 4.5ghz with reasonable voltage and cooling (aftermarket heatsink is really all you need) on a 2500k or 2600k, so a clock for clock comparison at those speeds would be really useful to those of us sitting on 2500/2600k's @ 4.5 or so who are considering an upgrade.

Yep... I'd love to see that comparison too, if the jump in power is worth jumping platforms. Though, with M2 x4 and new Intel's NVM SSDs, it seems, that the 20 lanes on CPU will be a serious limit and the X99 is much more sensible solution.

4.5 vs 4.5 would be a good middle ground. Most people can hit 4.5ghz with reasonable voltage and cooling (aftermarket heatsink is really all you need) on a 2500k or 2600k, so a clock for clock comparison at those speeds would be really useful to those of us sitting on 2500/2600k's @ 4.5 or so who are considering an upgrade.

I think whats confusing kyle (and confuses me for that matter) is that we know ivy bridge was 7% over sandy, and Haswell was 7% over Ivy... so cant we conclude where about it would perform in relation?

Im much more interested in knowing about THIS chip, as quickly as possible. We can see comparisons later.

I dont see how Crysis 3 plays fine on that dual core. Crysis 3 pegged my oced 2500k at times dropping me into low 40 fps in the same spots I get 60 fps with my 4770k. I tried using just 2 cores of my cpu and was a choppy crappy mess and those 2 cores would be way faster than the G3420.

EDIT: And this backs up my findings as even the i3 2100 is taking crap only averaging 34 fps so a G3420 would really be suffering.

Well, I tried it out myself, as opposed to a canned benchmark and found the G3420 to be very good for most games. I posted this info on another thread, but here are my findings after testing the G3420.

Pentium G3420 - 8GB AMD DDR3 2400 - Gigabyte Z97 SOC-Force - Dual GTX460-SLI

All Games are running at 1080p and a 120hz monitor with vsync on

Battlefield 4:

Settings
-Everything set to High except: Post Process-Medium - Terrain Decoration-Medium - AA Post - Low. SSAO

Solid Experience overall, can get a little hitchy at points though.

Dead Space 3:
Settings: High
First Time I played this game actually, Exhilarating intro! Ran pretty well, smooth for the most part.

Bioshock Infinite:

I Ran the benchmark and chose option 3 (Ultra Settings). Here are the average FPS:

Welcome Center - 49.67
Town Center - 67.32
Raffle - 62.9
Monument Island - 102.11
Overall - 64.21

Game itself is smooth and just as beautiful as when I ran it on my 3770k

Tomb Raider:

I ran it on Ultra Settings(No TressFX though)

Min: 68.0
Max: 99.2
Avg: 83.3

Game runs really nice, if not for the missing TressFX, it looks and plays identical to my 3770k/Dual GTX670 Machine.

The only game that is a stuttering mess is Metro Last Light. I'm going to try again with a better single GPU(either one of my GTX670s or an R9-270x), as it could be SLI issues. I'm pretty excited for the Pentium-K actually. I'd love to see 5-6Ghz squeezed out of that little Haswell Dual-Core.

Not sure if you guys saw this:

https://twitter.com/intel/status/474046995804323842

"Overclockers rejoice! #Devilscanyon breaks world records achieving over 5.5Ghz with air cooling at #Computex2014 "
Is this a Cut & Paste? I cannot click that link from work. I'm surprised they wrote Ghz instead if GHz. Everyone in the business know how to properly write GHz. :D

5.5 is indeed impressive... but I usually go 200-300MHz below the max I find to be safe, I never liked living on the edge so 5.2 would be very welcome but that's to be verified.

If I can make all 4 cores always 4.4 at default voltage (which is what it turbo's to in the first place) then its already a success in my mind :)

Is this a Cut & Paste? I cannot click that link from work. I'm surprised they wrote Ghz instead if GHz. Everyone in the business know how to properly write GHz. :D

5.5 is indeed impressive... but I usually go 200-300MHz below the max I find to be safe, I never liked living on the edge so 5.2 would be very welcome but that's to be verified.

5.2 on air with a new mobo and nice new features would get me to seriously consider leaving my SB setup.

So this isn't a next gen CPU then? Just changing the TIM and hand picking good silicon for the over clocking enthusiasts?

So this isn't a next gen CPU then? Just changing the TIM and hand picking good silicon for the over clocking enthusiasts?

No, never was intended or claimed to be.

DC is a refresh of Haswell.

The next generation is Broadwell (which is delayed).

Still running a Bloomfield i7-920 at 3.6Ghz. (just over 5 years old now) on a P6T6. Still a great machine, will be a good second box.

Devil's Canyon doesn't really excite me, waiting for Broadwell and x99 mobo's. Should be native 40 pcie3 lanes. With a sata raid controller that needs 8 lanes, just about everything since P6T6 has been relatively unappealing. Almost went for an ASUS P9X79-E WS for the specs, but reviews weren't great. C'mon stable x99 mobo!

Didn't read every post here so if someone stated this; sorry.

But reading all this moaning about what if, and maybe that.. in regards to incremental IPC improvements makes me kind of laugh. I get it, don't get me wrong. I rode the bleeding edge of tech for many years and wasted many thousands of dollars to get a few better FPS so I get it, but after growing up more and having to save more of my $ vs spending on PC's; I have to say some perspective is GREAT!!! If you want all this for bragging rights etc... by all means do it, upgrade to your hearts content. All of you fooling yourself into thinking you will game better or have a better gaming experience are drinking the Kool Aid. As Kyle has stated, there is not YET a strong compelling reason to upgrade from SB if you can clear 4.5ghz. Probably under, but I digress. Which makes me wonder why so much hate is lobbed at AMD as in many games an oc'd 8320 can game with an OC'd SB cpu, and trade blows in all but low resolution gaming(who does that?) or for those of you playing benchmarks like super pi, Sandra, etc... I have Intel and AMD so I consider myself to be open to whatever I want to play with. The new AMD cpus are not the dog $hit that everyone makes them out to be. In fact when I bought mine I was expecting to hate it, but I had to scratch that curiosity itch; and I got it on the cheap at MC :).

Anywho.... Buy the tick and tock from Intel and be happy if you want, IMO it's a waste of $, but then again, I'm not living and breathing PC's anymore or gaming for that matter. If it's worth the $ to you, then that's all that matters. Me or my opinion aren't the be all end all, but there WILL come a day when you are older and look back and think, man I could really use that $500 I spent to get 5% better fps in BF4(when truth be told, it was not limited with the old setup).

Yeah, cut-and-paste from @Intel:

Overclockers rejoice! #Devilscanyon breaks world records achieving over 5.5Ghz with air cooling at #Computex2014 pic.twitter.com/XX3lexEksm

Pretty damn impressive on air... they must be using 34mm delta fans :D

Well, I tried it out myself, as opposed to a canned benchmark and found the G3420 to be very good for most games. I posted this info on another thread, but here are my findings after testing the G3420.

<snip>

The only game that is a stuttering mess is Metro Last Light. I'm going to try again with a better single GPU(either one of my GTX670s or an R9-270x), as it could be SLI issues. I'm pretty excited for the Pentium-K actually. I'd love to see 5-6Ghz squeezed out of that little Haswell Dual-Core.

My G3420 has been okay at 1440p when I play Titanfall. I have to keep all the settings on low or else the CPU will get pegged, but I am trying to get to 96 FPS. Even at 60 FPS the details couldn't be on high. This is with a 780 Ti. Works great with Quake Live though :) (and older games like the redone Tomb Raider)

It probably would be a lot better at 1080p.

Still running a Bloomfield i7-920 at 3.6Ghz. (just over 5 years old now) on a P6T6. Still a great machine, will be a good second box.

Devil's Canyon doesn't really excite me, waiting for Broadwell and x99 mobo's. Should be native 40 pcie3 lanes. With a sata raid controller that needs 8 lanes, just about everything since P6T6 has been relatively unappealing. Almost went for an ASUS P9X79-E WS for the specs, but reviews weren't great. C'mon stable x99 mobo!

Yeah, I have 2 boxes with i7-920s in them (and one X5550) and haven't found any real reason to upgrade. My gaming, video compressing and browsing haven't needed a new CPU in 5+ years.

My G3420 has been okay at 1440p when I play Titanfall. I have to keep all the settings on low or else the CPU will get pegged, but I am trying to get to 96 FPS. Even at 60 FPS the details couldn't be on high. This is with a 780 Ti. Works great with Quake Live though :) (and older games like the redone Tomb Raider)

It probably would be a lot better at 1080p.

I almost always see the little CPU pegged, on almost every game I play, but the little guy keeps powering through. Really wish I had TitFall to test out. I ran Sleeping Dogs last night, and it was literally smooth as silk, virtually indistinguishable from my 3770k, 2600k or FX-8350 machines.

This is as bad as clinging to Windows XP for some scenarios. DC is going to fit the bill perfectly for ancient SB setups that are powering current top of the line graphics cards.
Wouldn't exactly call them ancient when it's possible to outrun the fastest stock Haswell CPU's with an overclocked Sandybridge CPU (and all you need is a 10 to 15% clockspeed advantage to match Haswell-based counterpart of any Sandybridge chip. That's not really much of an overclock)

Top-of-the-line performance is, by no means, out of reach on the SB platform. If you already have a decently-clocking Sandybridge chip, then there's still not much reason to upgrade.

Pentium G3420 - 8GB AMD DDR3 2400 - Gigabyte Z97 SOC-Force - Dual GTX460-SLI

All Games are running at 1080p and a 120hz monitor with vsync on

Battlefield 4:

Settings
-Everything set to High except: Post Process-Medium - Terrain Decoration-Medium - AA Post - Low. SSAO

Solid Experience overall, can get a little hitchy at points though.

Dead Space 3:
Settings: High
First Time I played this game actually, Exhilarating intro! Ran pretty well, smooth for the most part.

Bioshock Infinite:

I Ran the benchmark and chose option 3 (Ultra Settings). Here are the average FPS:

Welcome Center - 49.67
Town Center - 67.32
Raffle - 62.9
Monument Island - 102.11
Overall - 64.21

Game itself is smooth and just as beautiful as when I ran it on my 3770k

Tomb Raider:

I ran it on Ultra Settings(No TressFX though)

Min: 68.0
Max: 99.2
Avg: 83.3

Game runs really nice, if not for the missing TressFX, it looks and plays identical to my 3770k/Dual GTX670 Machine.

What does any of that have to do with what I said about Crysis 3? And how is someone using a "canned benchmark" for that game? Again I have tested that game on 2 cores much faster than yours plus there are other links I can post to back it up that there is NO way Crysis 3 is very playable on high or very settings with a Pentium dual core.

I have had my 2700k@ 4.6ghz for over 2 yrs now and still cant justify upgrading as yet. It seems i may get something like 5% increase in games. All games currently run very smooth, so to buy new mobo, cpu, ram for 5% just doesnt cut it.

When i can see over 15%-20% increase I will consider a CPU upgrade, I'll have to wait for some benchmarks.

My experience from moving from a 4.5 GHz Sandybridge 2500k to a 4.3 GHz 4770k Haswell.

Everything seems to run faster and smoother. For example, With SB in Metro, I got awful stuttering but in Haswell it is smooth as silk. Same with the desktop experience.

Not only that, but you get PCI-E 3.0 and 6 Intel 6 Gb/s SATA. Not fond of the Intel USB 3.0 though, But I am happy I upgraded, it was worth it.

My experience from moving from a 4.5 GHz Sandybridge 2500k to a 4.3 GHz 4770k Haswell.

Everything seems to run faster and smoother. For example, With SB in Metro, I got awful stuttering but in Haswell it is smooth as silk. Same with the desktop experience.

Not only that, but you get PCI-E 3.0 and 6 Intel 6 Gb/s SATA. Not fond of the Intel USB 3.0 though, But I am happy I upgraded, it was worth it.
Only game I see any real improvement in is Crysis 3 but I knew that going in. The Metro 2033 and Last Light benchmarks are smooth now but the 4770k made no difference over the 2500k in either of those while actually playing. One thing that is nice is that my 2500k was close to pegged at times in some games but now I have plenty of headroom of course which allows Chrome or whatever else to use my cpu without impacting game performance in cpu intensive game.

One of the reason I may want to upgrade... I don't play 100+ games a year, I carefully select my games and I bought Metro Last Light last autumn and I'm not able to play it like I want so instead of playing with either low detail or low res, I skip until I can run it native resolution with high ot ultra settings.

2 weeks ago I read about hte Redux versions so I'll be looking for it when times come.

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but here's some stock speed benchmarks comparing 4770k to 4790k, both under stock coolers. No mention of hardware configuration (z87 or z97?) but those power/temp results look surprising. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/u...-canyon-review-and-benchmarks-stock-idnum294/

It's really strange that DS's results were the exact opposite of Hexus'.. 7° to 8° cooler than 4770k (Hexus had 10° hotter) and 18W lower power draw at load (Hexus had 18W higher).

At OCN, DS said he was using a final version ES that should be the same as retail.. so maybe Hexus was using an early ES?

I won't get my hopes up yet, but I really hope it turns out to be a reason to FINALLY upgrade my 2600k. Though Kyle just said that might not be the case since I'm at the 4.5ghz threshold (I've never tried going farther....4.5 is more than enough for everything I do). If DC can reliably hit 5.0+ with a semi-decent cooler, I'd probably open the wallet up anyway. Especially since I have a Microcenter 15 min up the road. Then again, I'm probably better off just upgrading to the GTX 880 or whatever when that hits in a few months. I'm sure I'd see more gains out of that.

If this doesn't hit 5GHz on AIO coolers...nothing about this refresh is worth it.

I'm waiting on Haswell-E 8C.

If this doesn't hit 5GHz on AIO coolers...nothing about this refresh is worth it.

I'm waiting on Haswell-E 8C.

What's your comparison point? I'm on a lemon of a 2500k that can only hit 4.0GHz and still be prime stable. This is definitely a worthwhile upgrade for me, even without the ridiculous, hilariously unlikely overclocks you're asking for.

If you're upgrading from a 4770k or IBE, it won't be. Did anyone expect it to?

What's your comparison point? I'm on a lemon of a 2500k that can only hit 4.0GHz and still be prime stable. This is definitely a worthwhile upgrade for me
Is it? Think about your options for a second...

You could also swap in a Core i7 3770k, which nets you the following advantages for $329:
- Upgrades you from PCIe 2.0 to PCIe 3.0
- Upgrades you from Quad-Core to Quad-Core + Hyperthreading.
- Increased clockspeeds + decreased power consumption.
- Increased IPC / Efficiency.
- Keep existing motherboard and RAM.

A complete rebuild for a Devil's Canyon CPU would probably be closer to $800 or $1000... and I'm really not sure you get enough extra performance over Iveybridge to justify that.

Is it? Think about your options for a second...

You could also swap in a Core i7 3770k, which nets you the following advantages for $329:
- Upgrades you from PCIe 2.0 to PCIe 3.0
- Upgrades you from Quad-Core to Quad-Core + Hyperthreading.
- Increased clockspeeds + decreased power consumption.
- Increased IPC / Efficiency.
- Keep existing motherboard and RAM.

A complete rebuild for a Devil's Canyon CPU would probably be closer to $800 or $1000... and I'm really not sure you get enough extra performance over Iveybridge to justify that.

If he has an MC nearby E3-1230v2 is $199.99 :)

I am near an MC, so a 4790k will only cost $280+tax. Similarly, I'll be able to get a motherboard marked down by some $40, depending on which bundles they announce. I expect the upgrade to cost ~$450, grand total.

Two of your points are off:
-My current board is Z68, so I wouldn't get a PCIe upgrade (without buying a new motherboard)
-DC is still using DDR3, so I can just move my current RAM

Obviously my conclusion is dependent on the actual performance of a 4790k, but I have to wait another few days for the review sites to start posting that.

Last edited:
Given the cooling that they were using in their overclocking test and the high temps at 4.8GHz, it seems to suggest that there is still partially a cooling problem with DC. The improved TIM seems to have helped, but hasn't solved the issue completely. The chip seems to still be generating more heat than can be removed through the new TIM when the processor is overclocked and overvolted a significant amount, given the 79°C load temp seen when overclocked (either that or their water block wasn't seated properly, which I doubt).

I think delidding may end up still being required to break 5.0GHz, unfortunately...:(

Given the cooling that they were using in their overclocking test and the high temps at 4.8GHz, it seems to suggest that there is still partially a cooling problem with DC. The improved TIM seems to have helped, but hasn't solved the issue completely. The chip seems to still be generating more heat than can be removed through the new TIM when the processor is overclocked and overvolted a significant amount, given the 79°C load temp seen when overclocked (either that or their water block wasn't seated properly, which I doubt).

I think delidding may end up still being required to break 5.0GHz, unfortunately...:(

As long as the thing isn't throttling itself, you can at least validate how good a chip is before you go to the trouble of delidding. You don't need to stress test it but for a minute or 2 with low ffts on p95 28.5 to know if it's ballpark stable or not. It'll crash pretty much right away if you aren't close. You'll be able to do 5Ghz at 1.3v if it's good, I think. There are going to be a lot of 4.7 4.8 DCs is my expectation. Just like the 4770k... a lot of people got stuck at 4.2. 4.7 on DC is just as fail as that on Intel's part. Or Moore's part.

As long as the thing isn't throttling itself, you can at least validate how good a chip is before you go to the trouble of delidding. You don't need to stress test it but for a minute or 2 with low ffts on p95 28.5 to know if it's ballpark stable or not. It'll crash pretty much right away if you aren't close. You'll be able to do 5Ghz at 1.3v if it's good, I think. There are going to be a lot of 4.7 4.8 DCs is my expectation. Just like the 4770k... a lot of people got stuck at 4.2. 4.7 on DC is just as fail as that on Intel's part. Or Moore's part.

Possibly, but it's a bit premature to be passing judgement...we need to wait until people get these in their hands. It's usually pretty clear when a chip loses stability and having to add voltage early to maintain stability (at speeds <4.5GHz) won't be a good sign, and if this scenario becomes common, DC will look to be a bust.

I am near an MC, so a 4790k will only cost $280+tax. Similarly, I'll be able to get a motherboard marked down by some $40, depending on which bundles they announce. I expect the upgrade to cost ~$450, grand total.

Two of your points are off:
-My current board is Z68, so I wouldn't get a PCIe upgrade (without buying a new motherboard)
-DC is still using DDR3, so I can just move my current RAM

Obviously my conclusion is dependent on the actual performance of a 4790k, but I have to wait another few days for the review sites to start posting that.

Z68 can handle PCIe 3.0 just fine if your motherboard manufacturer keeps up with its BIOS updates. I have a Asrock Extreme3 Gen 3 and I can pop in an IB CPU which enables PCIe 3.0 so long as I have the latest BIOS which activates it.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I also have a 2500K that I only OC to 4.0Ghz. There is nothing in this refresh that makes me want to go out and spend $500+ to upgrade this system. The speeds will not justify the cost or work involved. Unless you have money to burn or just want to tinker, wait for either the Haswell-E line or Broadwell.

Back