Intel Desktop CPU Decoder iPhone App

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has launched a new app today called the Intel Boxed CPU Decoder. The app is extremely easy to use, simply select type of processor or socket, select the processors you want to compare and there you have it! It is actually harder to find and download the app than it is to use it (you actually have to search "Intel decoder” on iTunes). No word yet on a version for Android phone users.

It's a good clue that your branding scheme is too complicated if even your retail partners need an app to explain all your various models and brands.

The naming scheme is not more complicated than it has always been. Or maybe just a bit.

QX6800 = i7-975
Q6600 = I7-920
E6600 = i5-750
E4300 = i5-661
E2100 = i3-540

Nehalem vs Conroe/Kentfield
Arrandale vs.. Arrandale

It's a good clue that your branding scheme is too complicated if even your retail partners need an app to explain all your various models and brands.

I was going to say the same myself. However, AMD or NVIDIA isn't much better. At least ATI (AMD Graphics, whatever) has had some sort of consistency for a few generations.

The naming scheme is not more complicated than it has always been. Or maybe just a bit.

QX6800 = i7-975
Q6600 = I7-920
E6600 = i5-750
E4300 = i5-661
E2100 = i3-540

Nehalem vs Conroe/Kentfield
Arrandale vs.. Arrandale

i5 desktop chips are a quad core without hyperthreading with turbo boost. i5 laptop chips are a dual core with hyper threading and turboboost

i3 desktop chips are dual core, HT, no turbo. laptops are the same.

now you can get pentium dual cores named e6300, but there is also a core 2 duo e6300.

some core 2 duos on mobile are T's some are P's also whats the difference between a 5/6/7/9 c2d laptop chip?

core 2 quad 6/8/9....

etc.

im sure i could go on.

Installed apps are a deprecated concept. This could be (and already is) done as a web app. It would span more platforms, be easier to develop and it could look almost identical. What a waste of eng resources.

This would be totally usefull for me if I had an iphone and my employer let me use my cellphone while at work. Neither of which is true.

Exactly! You need a friggin' app to figure out what each CPU is!
Ah! How I miss the good ol' days... You only had 2-3 variant series (e.g. Celeron vs non-Celeron, MMX vs non-MMX, or old school DX vs SX) that simply named their frequency, and a new generation got a numerical increase in its name (386, 486, Pentium, Pentium 2 etc). You could just go into a store having missed the last couple of years of CPU releases and have no problem comparing CPU's. Yeah, at some point Cyrix etc could complicate your choices, but there never was a problem differentiating among the products of ONE company.

"i5 desktop chips are a quad core without hyperthreading with turbo boost. i5 laptop chips are a dual core with hyper threading and turboboost

now you can get pentium dual cores named e6300, but there is also a core 2 duo e6300.

some core 2 duos on mobile are T's some are P's also whats the difference between a 5/6/7/9 c2d laptop chip?

core 2 quad 6/8/9....
"

I thought for sure i5 and i3 do not have hyper threading, or at least i3 doesn't......

"i5 desktop chips are a quad core without hyperthreading with turbo boost. i5 laptop chips are a dual core with hyper threading and turboboost

core 2 quad 6/8/9....
"

I thought for sure i5 and i3 do not have hyper threading, or at least i3 doesn't......

There are also desktop i5's that are dual-core.

Too many different combinations at this point...unless you follow tech.. it's too hard to keep track of them all.

I miss when a range of launched processors were like the Pentium-75, Pentium-100 and Pentium-120, all with the same features (none crippled) and just differing by clock speed.

The segmentation has become ridiculous.

Nothing for android, Intel?

I guess AMD will cater to the enthusiast crowd as usual....

Definitely takes the cake for nerdiest app, "Check out my Intel CPU Decoder App!".... :rolleyes:

Back