• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Demos V8

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Intel is giving private demos of an eight core system called the “V8” at CES. Basically it is a dual quad core system, but it is still pretty snazzy.

Intel is showing private demos of an eight-core PC system at CES 2007 that's been dubbed "V8." Consisting of two Xeon quad-core processors built onto an Intel workstation motherboard, the system offers eight cores inside a large, WATX chassis.
 
Surprising there aren't just tons of these at CES.
Dell Poweredge 1950, 2950, 2900, 1900, and SC1430 are all dual quad core xeon servers. I'm sure other manufacturers have a similarly sized lineup.
 
I guess the "V8" name is a reply to the "4X4" which sound like a 4X4 truck :p
 
So AMD has 4x4, Intel has V8...

so will Via have a AWD?
 
seems kind of like old news to me.

All this is... is an Apple dual xeon system or Alienware dual xeon system with quad cores dropped in. They've already had that same basic set up available for the highend gaming/workstation for quite some time, now you just drop some quad cores in there and "double" your performance.
 
Can I not swap those for two Core 2 Quad chips? Or would the Xeons be faster.. I already have a stash of cash put aside for a multicore setup, but it looks like this may actually be more expensive than a used car with a V8 :eek:
 
Can I not swap those for two Core 2 Quad chips? Or would the Xeons be faster.. I already have a stash of cash put aside for a multicore setup, but it looks like this may actually be more expensive than a used car with a V8 :eek:


I'm afraid not dude. Quad xeons are 771 and Quad Core 2 chips are 775.
 
Surprising there aren't just tons of these at CES.
Dell Poweredge 1950, 2950, 2900, 1900, and SC1430 are all dual quad core xeon servers. I'm sure other manufacturers have a similarly sized lineup.

yeah...

at work we've been using the tyan 5380 motheboard based systems since the core2 xeons were out...

my reaction to intel's demo was :
"whaaaa???? you're doing a closed door demo of something that's been released for going on a year?!? bah???"

-scheherazade
 
Back
Top