Intel Demos 4P Tigerton system

It's not CSI... it's got quad, independent FSB. You won't see CSI for about a year and a half.

i wanna see benches :D

quad fsb has gotta be a lot of traces on the mobo though :eek:

Poncho said:
It's not CSI... it's got quad, independent FSB. You won't see CSI for about a year and a half.
Oh, that is somewhat disappointing though as long as QIB structure works and Intel can deliver the motherboards at about the same prices MP motherboards go for now things should be ok.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i wanna see benches :D

quad fsb has gotta be a lot of traces on the mobo though :eek:

yea... it's an MP board so it's HUGE, but I'm not 100% sure on how many layers it will be. I should be getting a couple systems here pretty soon so I'll know more.

coldpower27 said:
Oh, that is somewhat disappointing though as long as QIB structure works and Intel can deliver the motherboards at about the same prices MP motherboards go for now things should be ok.

Not really surprising since MP usually lags behind DP a bit. This platform is actually coming along pretty fast. They've done a really good job ramping it up. IIRC it's due to launch summer '07.

Poncho said:
yea... it's an MP board so it's HUGE, but I'm not 100% sure on how many layers it will be. I should be getting a couple systems here pretty soon so I'll know more.
i'm gonna guess 8 :D

Poncho said:
Not really surprising since MP usually lags behind DP a bit. This platform is actually coming along pretty fast. They've done a really good job ramping it up. IIRC it's due to launch summer '07.
That's good news, though what your saying aobut QIB, is there going to be 4 FSB on this chipset over the 2 on what Clovertown will use. Becuase from the articles listed above it talks about each Tigerton has a dedicated connection to each other or what not.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i'm gonna guess 8 :D

I heard a rumor in Germany that these type boards will about 10 layers, some with 12, just think 2 x 6 layers. One of the IBM guys said some Summit Boards for it will be very large but worth every square centimeter.

They talked about independent FSB's and off die Memory Controllers. I waiting to see the two 256bit banks of memory LOL! 42GB, you kidding me?

Poncho said:

That's what I heard too. But if the monster I heard about comes to life, IMHO, it will rock!

Form what I understand a quadcore processor on a 1333 fsb would mean about 333MHz per core.

What effect will this lack of bandwidth have on a 4P Tigerton system, or even on a 2P Cloverton system?

Thanks.

CSI will appear with the Nehalem based Xeon MP which is due for late 2008-early 2009.

Hopefully we'll see Tukwilla faster.

coldpower27 said:
That's good news, though what your saying aobut QIB, is there going to be 4 FSB on this chipset over the 2 on what Clovertown will use. Becuase from the articles listed above it talks about each Tigerton has a dedicated connection to each other or what not.

It's very similar to the Bensley platform (5000 series chipset) in that it has 1 FSB for each CPU. I'm not sure of any connection between CPUs, though that doesn't mean that there aren't any. MP isn't my main project, DP is, so I don't have as in depth knowlegde of the platform as I do with DP.

Shame CSI will be so late in the game. How much faster would Conroe be clock for clock if it adopted an IMC and HT?

I'm assuming that Tigerton will have massive amounts of L3 cache?

Also, AMD was bashing Intel (again) about the upcoming Tigerton based platform saying that it used too much power vs. the Quad Opteron. Any thoughts?

Essentially they said that he TDP of the CPUs plus the memory controllers used a lot of power. True?

They have TDPs as low as 50watts for the LV skus and top out @ 130watts. That's not too high if you ask me, though the platform as a whole will draw considerable power... but that's not abnormal with MP. I would say they will be in line with AMD as far as power goes since they lower watts on Intel's CPUs will be offset by the extra power for FBDIMMs.

Poncho said:
They have TDPs as low as 50watts for the LV skus and top out @ 130watts. That's not too high if you ask me, though the platform as a whole will draw considerable power... but that's not abnormal with MP. I would say they will be in line with AMD as far as power goes since they lower watts on Intel's CPUs will be offset by the extra power for FBDIMMs.
Hmm, so the Tigertons will have versions similar to the ones that Clovertown will have 50W/80W/120W.

Just out of curiosity do you know anything about Tigerton innards? Is it the MP of Clovertown? Or is it a Monolithic Native Quad Core?

Is Tigerton 65nm or 45nm. Since Intel is on tract to release 45nm by Late Q2/Early Q3 2007, Tigerton could be 45nm. Hopefully intel has single die quad core by then. That should bring down the TDP.

Tigerton is virtually identical to Woodcrest/Clovertown. This may change... but right now it's pretty much the same, just with a different package. It doesn't look they are going for the obscene amounts of L3 cache, in fact there isn't any L3 in the CPUs I've seen. I'm not really surprised at this since the big L3 was basically a band aid for the bandwidth issues that previous MP systems had. With NGMA, independent FSB, and FBDIMMs the L3 really isn't needed. Also it looks like it's going to launch @ 65nm with a refresh (drop in) with 45nm.

Poncho said:
Tigerton is virtually identical to Woodcrest/Clovertown. This may change... but right now it's pretty much the same, just with a different package. It doesn't look they are going for the obscene amounts of L3 cache, in fact there isn't any L3 in the CPUs I've seen. I'm not really surprised at this since the big L3 was basically a band aid for the bandwidth issues that previous MP systems had. With NGMA, independent FSB, and FBDIMMs the L3 really isn't needed. Also it looks like it's going to launch @ 65nm with a refresh (drop in) with 45nm.

So basically the MP line will still be about a year behind the DP/UP and desktop until Nehalem? And with the fact that there will be little to no L3, the prices should be much more competitive yes? And how are thermals looking? Has Intel pulled a Woodcrest type thing and lowered the TDP yet or is it still way too early to tell?

Duke3d87 said:
So basically the MP line will still be about a year behind the DP/UP and desktop until Nehalem? And with the fact that there will be little to no L3, the prices should be much more competitive yes? And how are thermals looking? Has Intel pulled a Woodcrest type thing and lowered the TDP yet or is it still way too early to tell?

I'm not sure how the raod map looks in reagards to Nehalem. I'm guessing that MP will still be a bit behind, but them ramping this platform has closed the gap a bit. They've really done an exceptional job with it. No idea on the pricing though... but I'm guessing that it'll be pretty competitive. The cost saved with no L3 (VERY expensive) should be noticable. Thermals... same as clovertown. 50/80/130 watts is VERY impressive. 50 watts for a quad core (low speed) is very cool. Pun intended. :D

Back