Intel D815BN and Athenatech 106 case

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I rarely have problems with a computer building, but this has me stumped. I have a Intel D815BN motherboard that has a USB header for front USB on it and if I connect it to the front panel and put a USB device such as a flash drive in it, the activity light comes on, so it is getting power, but it stays on and apparently times out after like 15 seconds and turns off. It does not recognize the device at all. If I attach my Asus back panel USB ports from my A7N266-VM, it works fine, unless I tried it the other way without rebooting, at that point it freezes those 2 ports.

I know you're thinking "this dumb butt has it backwards" but I don't. I reversed it and there is no power at all that way, which obviously shows that it is correctly wired. I could be crazy, but if two of the data lines are backwards would it do this?

The jumper connectors are all connected so changing the order of the pins (2 and 3 obviously) would be a royal pain.

Just was hoping that you guys had any ideas.

I'm using WinXP Pro so the PnP/Drivers issue is non-existant.

I reversed the data pins and it detects the device but now gives the frustrating "USB Device Not Recognized" error. My flash drive works fine in the back panel, but not on the front.

If I use my ASUS adapter, yet again, it does work, but I really would love to use front USB ports.

:confused:

Back