Intel CPUs and LGA 2011

ArbY

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2007
Messages
390
I am reading all this buzz about Ivy Bridge, and as I understand it will be for LGA 1155. What about 2011? Will the theoretical "Ivy Bridge E" be reserved for that socket?

Also, are there any leaked facts or estimations as to how Ivy Bridge might stack up to SB-E? Also, how many cores are expected for IB?

Final question, and this may not be answerable at this time, but..
3930K vs Ivy Bridge? Disregard everything and isolate these two and tell me if you can decide between them.
 
It's hard to form an opinion of IB right now. But I think its going to kick ass based a few benchmarks I have seen online.
 
I am reading all this buzz about Ivy Bridge, and as I understand it will be for LGA 1155. What about 2011? Will the theoretical "Ivy Bridge E" be reserved for that socket?
Current expectations are that intel will do the same with ivy that they did with sandy. That is they will release the mainstream parts on LGA1155 first and then will release the high end parts (presumablly reffered to as "IVY bridge E") much later on LGA2011 but all this may change.

Also, are there any leaked facts or estimations as to how Ivy Bridge might stack up to SB-E? Also, how many cores are expected for IB?
AIUI at the same clockspeed an IVY core is supposed to be a bit faster than a sandy core. Exactly how much faster will depend on the workload

However mainstream IVY bridge will only have four cores and IB-E (or whatever they finally call it) is still a LONG way off.

Final question, and this may not be answerable at this time, but..
3930K vs Ivy Bridge? Disregard everything and isolate these two and tell me if you can decide between them.
Depends on what your priorities are.

In threadcount limited tasks at stock/turbo speeds i'd expect a 3770K to be a little faster than the 3930K but there probably won't be much in it.

In highly multithreaded tasks i'd expect the 3930K to kick the 3770K's ass.

YMMV when overclocking, we will have to wait until more people have experiance with the chips to get a picture on that.
 
You wont beat 3930K with 3770K because there are strict differences between the two:

3770K is a die shrink of 2700K, but it still has only 8MB cache, 4 cores and 8 threads compared to 6/12/12 on 3930K and 3770K still has lower TDP and so on, so 3930K is better utilized in providing greater performance in this area as well(ofc for cost of more energy consumed and heat generated). There also differences like quad a dual channel RAM connections and probably something else I missed.
 
If you are running at 4.5GHz on both the 3770K and the 3930K the question becomes what kind of workload. More than likely you won't notice the difference between the two until you hit 4+ threads where physical cores are needed. HT does not work well for everything and when you are running a mixed workload the 3930K has more options on which core to put everything.

One of the big drivers is also going to be how much RAM you need. 32GB is a bit less expensive on the X79 platform and you can go to 64GB. For a lot of users, the difference is negligible and 16GB is more then enough. For me just having photoshop open 6 photos, having lightroom open and such consumes over 12GB. I also typically have a few (2-4) virtual machines running which eat 2-8GB each. Most people do not need that much memory, but I do.

Finally, the X79 platform has way more PCIe 3.0 bandwidth if you start loading add-in cards in the machine.

Here's the thing, for the vast majority of folks, the 3770K is going to make more sense. When you need a high-end platform, not just gaming CPU, the 3930K is going to be the way to go. With all that being said, sticking with a 2600K is going to be what a lot of desktop folks do.
 
Thanks for the info. I will be getting 32GB of RAM. I will definitely be running several virtual machines on my desktop. That's perhaps where the additional cores will make up the differences. I have the idea in my head of pairing the 3930K with an H60, so an overclock, while not planned, may just happen.
 
3930K LOVES to be overclocked, it just takes a little bit of a careful touch, sort of like the x58 platform. :)
 
I am reading all this buzz about Ivy Bridge, and as I understand it will be for LGA 1155. What about 2011? Will the theoretical "Ivy Bridge E" be reserved for that socket?

Also, are there any leaked facts or estimations as to how Ivy Bridge might stack up to SB-E? Also, how many cores are expected for IB?

Final question, and this may not be answerable at this time, but..
3930K vs Ivy Bridge? Disregard everything and isolate these two and tell me if you can decide between them.

Ivy Bridge E delayed until second half of 2013 ( http://www.techspot.com/news/47849-ivy-bridge-e-delayed-until-second-half-of-2013.html ). After reading the article there is no reason not to wait for haswell. Hell is there even a game that exists that makes my X58 chipset/CPU scream in pain at 2560x1600? I am more GPU limited than anything :) But think of it this way! You can now save money on your gaming budget for videocards and powersupplies :)

The "rumor" is 10-15% faster from SB-E. Nothing is for certain till people actually have the CPU and test it.

If you can run your programs/games fine with your current system. There is no reason to upgrade (unless you have a disposable income). Upgrade when you have the need to upgrade. The upgrade path for a top of the line motherboard/cpu/ram combo doesn't warrant the price performance for me (says the guy with the $1000).
 
I'm not sure I need to be told to wait over a year to upgrade.

It also annoys me how s2011 will reach EOL after roughly a year and a half in the market. Perhaps I'll have a greater disposable income when IB-E comes out and upgrade again anyway. If the chip utilizes quad channel RAM, then I can likely recycle everything save the CPU/mobo. Doesn't sound too discouraging after all.
 
I thought that means after 1.5 years there will be a second generation of CPUs added extending the platform another 1.5 years or so.
 
Intel's current tick-tock model has the tick occuring one year and the tock the next. Meaning, each platform would last only about 2 years, at least on the mainstream/desktop side anyways.

Ivy Bridge-E (if/when it comes out) will almost certainly work with the existing 2011 platform.
 
Intel's current tick-tock model has the tick occuring one year and the tock the next. Meaning, each platform would last only about 2 years, at least on the mainstream/desktop side anyways.

Ivy Bridge-E (if/when it comes out) will almost certainly work with the existing 2011 platform.

1 year to 1.5 for SB depending on how you look at it. Originally it would have been closer to 1.5, but personally due to having to wait for B3, SB was a bust for me until the first B3 boards in March of last year.
 
Back
Top