intel cpu upgrade -i5-2400 to ?

ronss

Weaksauce
okay...i got 3 computers. 2 amd and one intel with i5-2400....going to forget upgrading the amds,,,,they have amd 970, and a 560 cpu that i enable all 4 coars...its just not worth going to the fx cpus....

my intel i have is i5-2400, xfx 6870, and asus sabertooth p67(nice motherboard),and ssd 128gb....

i might spend $240 on upgrade....what would you upgrade on this computer?:confused:

Your question is really odd, what reason for upgrade you have? What activity you feel your computer is not doing well? In my opinion the only upgradable thing is your 6870 if you game hard, DO NOT replace the CPU however because there is nothing worth of upgrading from 2400 though

thanks...i was thiniking maybe a ivy 3570,,,,,,but i quess you are right, the upgrade just might not be worth it.....i had thoughts with the p67 sabertooth, that i could over-clock the 3570, and have a killer rig........i bought the i5-2400 at frys for $110, and maybe i could sell it for $130,...that would let me get the 3570 for $85

thanks...i was thiniking maybe a ivy 3570,,,,,,but i quess you are right, the upgrade just might not be worth it.....i had thoughts with the p67 sabertooth, that i could over-clock the 3570, and have a killer rig........i bought the i5-2400 at frys for $110, and maybe i could sell it for $130,...that would let me get the 3570 for $85

If you are really interested in overclocking go for it. Otherwise if you are not don't bother, waste of money.

yea....i sort of was thinking the same......i will wait and see when the amd 8350 piledriver comes out,,i read a review on it,,,about the same speed as the i7-2600k

Overclock your CPU and sell both AMD computers to get one Piledriver PC. Problem solved.

yea....i sort of was thinking the same......i will wait and see when the amd 8350 piledriver comes out,,i read a review on it,,,about the same speed as the i7-2600k

What review is that? There is no official PD reviews as far as I know.

Another thing that comes to consideration when you want to OC is to have a good memory, motherboard and graphics card(if you OC to boost the game performance), not to mention you must have decent WB installed if you aim to OC high.
Solely just replacing the processor wouldn't do any justice to it.
What I am curious about is that you own sabertooth, while you bought a locked CPU for it, didn't you plan to OC back then?
Getting either 3570K, 2600K or upper mentioned FX-8350 would not give you any performance advantage over 2400 really.

Another thing that comes to consideration when you want to OC is to have a good memory, motherboard and graphics card(if you OC to boost the game performance), not to mention you must have decent WB installed if you aim to OC high.
Solely just replacing the processor wouldn't do any justice to it.
What I am curious about is that you own sabertooth, while you bought a locked CPU for it, didn't you plan to OC back then?
Getting either 3570K, 2600K or upper mentioned FX-8350 would not give you any performance advantage over 2400 really.

i bought the motherboard after i bought the i5-2400....i saw the sabertooth p67 for $50 on craigslist, and was listed as nearly new...i could not refuse that price for such a nice board.

that piledriver article stated that this is the last amd desktop cpu,,,is that actually true? seems like intel would be a monopoly and need to be busted up

get a 2600k, seem to be in the low 200 resale range lately, then sell your 2400 or throw it in a cheap h61 board

OBR is worthless. Wait for official reviews.

Anyways, nothing is worth upgrading. If you go to the 3570k, you will break all crossfire and SLI capabilities on that P67 Sabertooth.

The only probable worthwhile CPU upgrade is to Piledriver from the Phenom II 560. You should really consider upgrading the 6870 or 260s instead.

thanks for the info...i might forget upgrading the cpu,,,but my thoughts now are going cross-fire with another 6870...

OP, why do you want to upgrade? What's the purpose of the upgrade?

Unless you state why you want to upgrade or where you're looking for better performance, it's impossible to help you.

If you want to get a performance increase, you can bump the clock speed of your i5-2400 by +400 MHz for absolutely no extra cost. This is because your CPU is limited unlocked:

sPsVa.jpg

thanks all......i upgraded the video card, msi 7870 frozer II ......will try to bump the cpu a bit...later

The Intel® Core™ i5-3570K or Intel Core i5-2500K would be your upgrade path for your budget. If you upgrade to the "K" and plan on overclocking you are going to want to add a good 3rd party HSF (Heatsink/fan) to deal with the increased temperatures.

Back