• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel CPU reads wrong speed on POST and in BIOS

BruiseAndy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
288
Brother bought an Intel board and a 2.4GHz celeron chip yesterday. I put the machine together today and it boots up and says its an 800 MHz chip. Any ideas as to the problem? Also it says there is a HD prob but I think that is a problem with the compaq HD he put in there.
 
Did you go into the BIOS and configure it for that processor?

I hope you backed up the data before moving the HDD to a new motherboard. There's a real good chance it will not boot on the new board. Always back up the data and then clear the drive. When you put it in a new computer, you can install the OS fresh.
 
Originally posted by djnes
Did you go into the BIOS and configure it for that processor?

I hope you backed up the data before moving the HDD to a new motherboard. There's a real good chance it will not boot on the new board. Always back up the data and then clear the drive. When you put it in a new computer, you can install the OS fresh.

Intel board as shown in my post, you do not have to configure it for the proc. And booting a hard drive from a previous system into a new system is not really something that should require a clean install of an OS. Kinda [H] lore. Thank you for the suggestions or input. I'm thinking the board is screwy unfortunately.

On a sidenote, your location says HP, you in Boise by chance? I know micron is up there and if I remember right HP has a place up there as well.
 
Originally posted by BruiseAndy
Intel board as shown in my post, you do not have to configure it for the proc. And booting a hard drive from a previous system into a new system is not really something that should require a clean install of an OS. Kinda [H] lore. Thank you for the suggestions or input. I'm thinking the board is screwy unfortunately.

On a sidenote, your location says HP, you in Boise by chance? I know micron is up there and if I remember right HP has a place up there as well.

First, switching systems with a HDD is a big deal because data paths change, chipsets change, controllers, change, etc. 9 times out of 10, it will not boot stable, if it even gets to the OS. I wouldn't really call it lore, but more like common steps. I've seen it thousands of times in the past 7 years.

I'm in Philly, but we do have a HUGE complex in Boise. It's one of our largest datacenters as well.
 
Back
Top