Intel Core2Duo / Intel Centrino?

Hi everyone,

What I don't understand is, why is there Centrino technology with Core2Duo? Isn't Core 2 Duo processor just what it is...exactly what it says a "Core2 Duo" processor(nothing else). I've owned many Centrino processor computers, all being Crap!! slow, and very laggy. I just don't want to buy something with Centrino anymore. It's horrible. What should I look for when purchasing a Laptop/Desktop. And also please explain to me why centrino is with core2duo?

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834110327

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117752

Thanks in advance.

PX

Centrino is the term for Intel's mobile platform, consisting of an Intel CPU, chipset, and wireless card. Every laptop containing a mobile Intel CPU is part of the Centrino platform. I doubt the fact that the computers you had were Centrino machines had anything to do with poor performance. Most likely it was due to preinstalled software that you never bothered to remove.

Centrino is the term for Intel's mobile platform, consisting of an Intel CPU, chipset, and wireless card. Every laptop containing a mobile Intel CPU is part of the Centrino platform. I doubt the fact that the computers you had were Centrino machines had anything to do with poor performance. Most likely it was due to preinstalled software that you never bothered to remove.

I sell these things all day and this is 100% correct. Centrino = Intel mobility setup basiclly, and C2D in a desktop is just a C2D.

Alot of the new laptops coming out have the new Centrino setup on them, Centrino2. Sony is basiclly rolling this out on all their higher end units.

Every laptop containing a mobile Intel CPU is part of the Centrino platform.

Not quite. If the CPU is on a MB with a different chipset, it's not Centrino. It's only Centrino if it uses the mobile CPU with a Centrino chipset. Centrino identifies the whole package, not just the mobile CPU.

Not quite. If the CPU is on a MB with a different chipset, it's not Centrino. It's only Centrino if it uses the mobile CPU with a Centrino chipset. Centrino identifies the whole package, not just the mobile CPU.

Except there aren't any laptops with Intel CPUs on different chipsets. Technically you'd be correct, but since there aren't any other chipsets for Intel's mobile CPUs, all laptops containing them are Centrino machines.

I could swear I saw a non-Centrino laptop with Intel CPU a year ago or so. That's actually where I learned that Centrino=chipset, not CPU. I think it was some sort of gaming laptop based on a desktop chipset. Battery life = blink-and-you-miss-it sort of laptop.

There are some desktop replacement laptops that use the desktop versions of Intel CPUs and chipsets. Naturally, they don't fall under the Centrino platform. However, that is also a different subject entirely, because I am talking specifically about Intel's mobile CPUs here. Every notebook that contains one of Intel's mobile CPUs is part of the Centrino platform.

Back