Intel Core i7 and Gaming @ [H]

wait it out......or you could drop a xeon hexa core ranging from $80-200 depending on how much overclock you desire.....it wold pretty much match or beat a 4770k in a lot of tasks;) depending on how many threads the game/app use

Yeah but will it overclock like the 920 D0? I also was looking into a new cpu on ebay last week. I have one of those 920 D0's overclocked to 3.8ghz running in my old X58 Evga 759 Classified. Have a new Asus 290X OC in there as a single card setup. Doesn't make sense to crossfire or SLI on that old 2.0 pci express bus at 8x limited channels. A fast card and a single 16X slot should be enough. Most games play pretty well though Kourosh as Tweakguides said his old 920 X58 system stuttered like crazy trying to play Watchdogs. I just got the game and will find out how it feels on mine. I still put money into it though. Got the Dominator 12gb (3x4gb) 2000mhz kit by Corsair last week. Got it up to 1800 mhz so far (tempted to go higher but don't want to push my luck). Does 8-8-8-24 stable at 1600mhz. Ever since I was a kid I use to love to upgrade and test the limits of older systems. Its more fun than buying a new setup including motherboard and new technology. Anyhow heres a tip.. Upgrade your OS to Win 8.1 and you'll get 6% improvement in FPS on average. Enjoy!

Doesn't everyone keep an oc'd i7 system in the corner for winter time gaming?

Someone spammed in here and copied a post from 2008.

On-topic though, I do which I had built a frickin' i7-920 system back then and kept it instead of skipping to Sandy Bridge. But back then I thought I could make "Mac" and "gaming" work back then by buying an older Mac Pro and dual-booting so I sold my previous system...

I would like to do a six-core upgrade for $75 too :).

Newegg still sales the X5650 brand new for $644 or you can buy a used one on ebay as you say or $75 or so.. I drop the X5660 in today and at stock speed it like running my i7-930 overclocked @3.6Ghz or so.

Newegg still sales the X5650 brand new for $644 or you can buy a used one on ebay as you say or $75 or so.. I drop the X5660 in today and at stock speed it like running my i7-930 overclocked @3.6Ghz or so.

Please do share your comparisons from your i7 to your new xeon when you get around to OCing that xeon either here or the 1366 x58 xeon club thread. I'm very curious to see how much gaming boost it really is. It'll be a week or so before I get my xeon. Debating whether the el cheapo 5650 is good enough or if spend more on the 5660 or 5670 is worth it

Now that I've had my Xeon 5650 for a couple weeks I can report this is a definite upgrade from my i7 920 D0. It OC's higher and runs cooler and on less voltage [both QPI/VTT and vcore].
Really see the hexacore love in BF4, noticeable boost from my i7.
My i7 ran at 4Ghz, my 5650 runs at 4.4Ghz though I've had it up to 4.8. In truth beyond 4.6 gets a bit shaky. Still yet for $70 I have extended my x58 lifespan by another couple years. For gaming the games which leverage all 6 cores make this a killer combo

4ghz_bench.gif

this 920/chip is badass! hell of an undervolter....1.25-1.3v etc could probably go lower havent tried yet....

4Ghz on air hell who needs water rofl

really does make my Xeon W3520 look like straight crap it wants 1.4v+ to be stable.... so at least semi-golden late batch 920/chip rofl

Last edited:
Can't tell the difference i have an AMD FX8320 even at default clocks plays games exactly the same as the Intel Core i5 4590K i have put in, building for my nephew although benchmarks indicate the Core is faster, gameplay wise there's zero difference from the two.

Now on the plus side i no longer get black screens (when the monitor goes to standby or running 3D Mark) which leads me to think that the MSI Gamer R9 290 i am using may have a BIOS compatibility issue with the ASUS Crosshair Z since it doesn't effect his Sapphire R9 290 in the ASUS board, guess that's to be expected really since the motherboard i am using is also a MSI Gamer 3 Z97.

Back