• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Core i7 965 Cooler Emerges

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,450
We have gotten our hands on the retail box heatsink you can expect to see with Intel’s Core i7 965 processor. Feast your eyes on the thin fins about half being made of copper. Intel previously built a cooler similar to this for the Core 2 Extreme QX9650 called the DBX-A. The beauty below has been dubbed “DBX-B.” The DBX-B is actually a smaller thermal solution than the DBX-A in terms of physical size, but outperforms the DBX-A. And they both have pretty blue LEDs in the top of them for that extra umph.
 
Better, but would anyone spending that much on the cpu not consider a better aftermarket cooler as well?
 
Had a chance to test it? Wondering how it stacks up to the previous air coolers you've tried with the 965. I'm not holding my breath for anything ground breaking though.
 
wow copper, I don't remember intel doing copper since P2/P3 ???? I don't quite remember
is it as silent as its predecessor?
 
wow pretty nice, i wonder how much better it is against the stock one.
 
Those look nice. Intel has had some success making decent retail box heatsinks. I recall the P4s came with quite a nice heatsink that was at least middle of the road compared to more expensive after market coolers.
 
Better, but would anyone spending that much on the cpu not consider a better aftermarket cooler as well?

No offense, but by that logic, Intel wouldn't have put a HSF in the retail box at all, that or they would have boxed a uber-HSF in it and hiked the price more... They make OEM/tray chips for that logic.
 
Can't we have something better than those bloody push pins? They work fine first time but are a hassle to get off and then never work as well the after being used once, often not clicking in properly. It's even worse with a large cooler like a Scythe Infinity where it's very hard to access the pins to get them out and you end up having to take the motherboard out just to change the processor..

Can't we have a clip on retention bracket or even better a screw on bracket. The cooler with the easiest mechanism for attachment, removal and reattachment that I've had is a Zalman water block which just had a bracket with a screw on either side. It caused no problems no matter how many times I took it off or put it on. With push pins I tend to have difficulties when they've already been used once. I hate them.
 
Looks like it will find a home on many a video card. Thats what I do with most of my box coolers. AMD made some spiffy heat pipe coolers a while back and they rocked on my 7900 series cards.:D
 
Structurally, it appears to be a GREAT improvement over the coolers provided by earlier generation CPUs. I'm hoping it performs as well as it looks. We shall see...
 
Due to feedback from distributors, Intel told us at the last conference that Xeons would be loosing the heatsink in the future. Disty's are tired of having 3 skus of the same CPU, 1 without, 1 with a large sink, 1 with low profile sink.

They said desktop boxed CPUs will continue to have sinks.

As far as throwing out the sink, I use them as I only build stock speed systems now.
 
No offense, but by that logic, Intel wouldn't have put a HSF in the retail box at all, that or they would have boxed a uber-HSF in it and hiked the price more... They make OEM/tray chips for that logic.

No but its the difference between good and good enough. I'm sure the new cooler is good enough for stock operations. That doesn't mean its a good hsf, especially not for an OCer. IMO most people eyeing the 965 are not the good enough crowd
 
Not inmpressed with Intel's stock coolers.

The push pins are a pain in the ass, and I even broke a motherboard one time with them. The fans are noisy, and even at stock CPU speeds, they just barely cool enough.

I'll stick with my Zalman coolers, thank you, and OEM chips.
 
Had a chance to test it? Wondering how it stacks up to the previous air coolers you've tried with the 965. I'm not holding my breath for anything ground breaking though.

Not yet, in a day or two.

wow copper, I don't remember intel doing copper since P2/P3 ???? I don't quite remember
is it as silent as its predecessor?

QX9650 had "same" copper mix cooler.

Can't we have something better than those bloody push pins? ....... I hate them.

They are made for the lowest common denominator certainly and meant to be installed after the board is screwed down. And no, I dont like them either.

not bad at all considering there is not much for after market coolers yet.

Considering the i7 has not officially launched yet! I did buy that Danger Den block, waiting on UPS.

Structurally, it appears to be a GREAT improvement over the coolers provided by earlier generation CPUs. I'm hoping it performs as well as it looks. We shall see...

Yes, it looks to be very good for what it is supposed to do...and that is not satify you guys. ;)

Wonder if the fan is still crap like the E8000 HSF series.

Got a Delta fan on it. Just spun it up. Had two speed switch on the side, nice and quiet, moved a LOT of air.

I'm sure the new cooler is good enough for stock operations. That doesn't mean its a good hsf, especially not for an OCer. IMO most people eyeing the 965 are not the good enough crowd

Exackery. I will put it in the hotbox and see what happens.

Not inmpressed with Intel's stock coolers.

I don't really think YOU are supposed to be impressed. :p
 
Can't we have something better than those bloody push pins? They work fine first time but are a hassle to get off and then never work as well the after being used once, often not clicking in properly. It's even worse with a large cooler like a Scythe Infinity where it's very hard to access the pins to get them out and you end up having to take the motherboard out just to change the processor..

Can't we have a clip on retention bracket or even better a screw on bracket. The cooler with the easiest mechanism for attachment, removal and reattachment that I've had is a Zalman water block which just had a bracket with a screw on either side. It caused no problems no matter how many times I took it off or put it on. With push pins I tend to have difficulties when they've already been used once. I hate them.

Agreed, absolutely hate them. I think they are the absolute worst design ever.
 
They should just sell the CPU without cooler like AMD did with their Black edition CPUs. I'll bet that the majority of the coolers will end up at eBay.
 
Nice... for a stock cooler that is. I'll stick with my True 120, though. Would be interesting to see them (thermalright) buy some OEM 965s and pair them with a true 120.
 
They should just sell the CPU without cooler like AMD did with their Black edition CPUs. I'll bet that the majority of the coolers will end up at eBay.

That doesn't make any sense. Who's going to seriously spend 1K on a CPU then try to ebay the cooler for 5$?
 
Yay! ANOTHER crap heatsink from Intel. Pushes all the hot air back down on the board, the fan is not shrouded to force air through the heatsink, and it uses push-pins.

3 strikes... and I could keep going
 
A question to HardOCP editors:

From the pictures it appears that the IHS has different colors.
The 965 has slightly more copper like color, the 920 IHS is much brighter.
Is there really a difference or is it just the angle of the photo?
 
A question to HardOCP editors:

From the pictures it appears that the IHS has different colors.
The 965 has slightly more copper like color, the 920 IHS is much brighter.
Is there really a difference or is it just the angle of the photo?

The 965 cooler has a thin fin design and is built from aluminum and copper. It is very much different from the 940/920 cooler. Sorry we did not get your good enough photos to make the differences pop.
 
I am sorry about the confusion, but I am not talking about the coolers.
My question was about the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader), the piece of metal on top of CPU.

The IHS is a copper, but the pictures are confusing and it looks like that the CPUs have different colors.


Sorry, my bad. The IHS is identical to my knowledge. What you are seeing is reflection difference picked up by the camera.
 
Back
Top