• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel core i5-750 vs i7-920

dezimieren

n00b
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
12
Im looking to perform a core upgrade on my system and I'm debating between these two CPU's. The system in question is used primarily for gaming.

i5 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

i7 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Now on face value they seem identical to me, but the i5 is alot cheaper. So which one should I be looking at? If I go with the i5 then i'll end up saving ~$250 compared to an upgrade using the i7. The savings are based on the purchase of a mobo, ram and CPU and is in Canadian dollars.

Assistance greatly appreciated :D
 
Two different platforms, 1156 (more budget oriented) for i5 750 and 1366 (high end) for i7 920.

1366 offers insane bonuses like triple channel DDR3, quad Xfire and SLI, and the ability to upgrade to a 6core CPU.

1156 is priced cheaply but offers great bang for the buck. Some high end 1156 boards have Xfire and SLI. You're restricted to dual and quad core CPUs. Dual channel DDR3 means memory performance is slightly slower.

Pound for pound the 750 is a bit slower than the 920 but overclocks slightly better (feel free to correct me on this) ...
 
Thanks for the reply!

I currently use a single GTX 260 and have no plans to utilize SLI, so it would appear that an i5 system would best suit my needs and budget.
 
Thanks for the reply!

I currently use a single GTX 260 and have no plans to utilize SLI, so it would appear that an i5 system would best suit my needs and budget.

Indeed - I myself just purchased an i5 750 with an ASRock P55 Extreme. Both offer tremendous bang for the buck.

Here's a roundup of ~$150-$200 mobos: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-motherboard,2463.html

and ~$100-$150 mobos: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-p55-motherboard,2436.html
 
I5 750 is the way to go :) specially if you are going with a single GPU.

For a good mobo i would go with the MSI P55-GD80. It was awarded top honors here at hardocp.

Good luck :)
 
The Corsair's a good value, but this set of GSkill Ripjaws achieves the same timings with .15v less.

Seems to come highly recommended around this forum.

+1

I really like my Gskill. I've had a few sets of Gskill and have had excellent results with speed and compatibility.
 
If you wanted I7 I would get the 860. It's only 80 bucks more, same mobo, same ram.
 
Last edited:
Because DDR3 Ram and x-58 mobo are more.

When the 920 first came out it was a sweet deal, basically almost the same price for a full setup that the I5 costs now.

Just depends on what you are building. For now personally I'll go 1156. When prices come down on the hex-core then I'll jump over. Or by that time just wait for Sandy then jump to that.
 
Last edited:
Because DDR3 Ram and x-58 mobo are more.

When the 920 first came out the guys that jumped on it first got the sweet deal, basically almost the same price for a full setup that the I5 costs now.

Just depends on what you are building. For now personally I'll go 1156. When prices come down on the hex-core then I'll jump over. Or by that time just wait for Sandy then jump to that.


you're using DDR 3 regardless

there are some cheap x58 boards out there now and have been for a while

yes the overall cost is higher, but the 920 has aged pretty well and is still king in performance

cost will always be a factor, sometimes it's worth paying more, sometimes it isn't it all depends on what kind of experience you want and whether or not you're willing to pay for it
 
The i7 920 is still a good chip, but the i5 750 performs just as well or better when both are at stock in most cases, plus runs cooler and uses less power. Unless you value the sliver of extra performance triple channel RAM can provide, want triple SLI, or have $1000 to fork out for the upcoming Gulftown, 1156 makes the most sense for most people upgrading this year.
 
ive had a 920 and have a 750 now and the 750 is like a 920 without HT.

Its very snappy
 
I mused over the same decision for awhile back in September and I ended up going with the i5 750. The way I added it up, they overclock the same, the end result is the i7 920 is slightly faster, but it more expensive and puts out much more heat (uses more power, etc.). While the i5 750 is a more advanced chip and uses less power, it also isn't as fast. I decided to sacrifice the ~3% clock-for-clock performance for a much smaller power envelope and a better mATX setup. Determine your priorities and buy accordingly :).
 
To further blur the lines; MicroCenter has the 920 for $220 if you're local to one.
 
@OP...

In my opinion, if you've got the dollars, then go 920, although comments above state that the 750 is a better OC'er, this is not always true. If you want to go for raw clocks you can disable HT on the 920 and probably OC better than the 750.

Though disabling HT is kinda dumb on the 920, because that's why you paid the extra dollars, you can achieve higher clocks on the 920 by shutting it off.

If you're into USB3, you'll likely find it on newer P55 boards, in this case go for an LGA1156 i7 if you want HT.

Otherwise, there's always the option to get a PCIe USB3.0 card and save money by getting one of the first gen LGA1366 boards.
 
I went with i5-750 originally but was disappointed with lackluster stock voltage overclocking. Sold the CPU/board and went i7-920. Haven't looked back.
 
lackluster?

Strange, I went from 920 to i5 750 just because I don't need 8 cores or SLI/CF, I want less power consumption (measured from the wall i5 @ 4GHz drew the same amount as my 920 @ only 3.8Ghz even with HT off) and clock per clock these cpu perform the same (except in application that can fully utilize 4+ cores).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top