Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 for 159 @ microcenter

Whenever I see Microcenter in the title, I usually assume it's B&M only.

EDIT: lol, didn't even realize there was a store in Tustin...still too far for a bus commuter to get to though from LA...

Wow, that's quite something. I bought one of these for $189 about a month ago, prices fall pretty fast on these things.

u guys think the price would still go lower since memorial day is like 2 weeks from now? :D

You also get VT in the q9400

you could consider that as getting a free copy of windows xp with windows 7 lol. or it could be meaningless to you. i suppose it depends on how tightly you hang on to 2001.

either way, q9400 instead of a q8200 is definitely an upgrade i would make.

How does this compare to the AMD 940be? (Sorry for my ignorance, I have never looked at quads before seeing this deal)

Just got this puppy today.

Sitting on a DDR2 board with 2 gigs of DDR2-800.

I'm thinking this thing's a bit bottlenecked. It sure as hell doesn't move XP any faster. lol Then again I didn't reinstall anything.

Will moving to a DDR3 board as a go-between solution (as in between this and going straight to i7) help matters any?

Should I buy this and upgrade from E6300 at 2.8Ghz on Windows Vista 32? Fry's is also selling Kingston Hyper X PC8500 for $49.99. Can I hit 3.5ghz with this combo?

It depends on what you do with your PC. If its just the usual internet+office stuff you'll see little or no benefit. If you game you'll see on avg. 5-10fps performance increase in most games, a few better a few worse depending on the resolution (I'm assuming 1680x1050 or higher) and settings you game at.

Nice article on quad/dual core scaling in games at different clockspeeds: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/3

You _might_ hit 3.5Ghz, higher is certainly possible, but OC'ing is a crap shoot. I've got a e5200 that tops out around 3.6Ghz for instance, but many seem to be able to get those to ~4Ghz.

It depends on what you do with your PC. If its just the usual internet+office stuff you'll see little or no benefit. If you game you'll see on avg. 5-10fps performance increase in most games, a few better a few worse depending on the resolution (I'm assuming 1680x1050 or higher) and settings you game at.

Nice article on quad/dual core scaling in games at different clockspeeds: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/3

You _might_ hit 3.5Ghz, higher is certainly possible, but OC'ing is a crap shoot. I've got a e5200 that tops out around 3.6Ghz for instance, but many seem to be able to get those to ~4Ghz.

Thank you sir! I appreciate the info and link.

you could consider that as getting a free copy of windows xp with windows 7 lol. or it could be meaningless to you. i suppose it depends on how tightly you hang on to 2001.

either way, q9400 instead of a q8200 is definitely an upgrade i would make.

Actually I don't run windows...but VT does help with KVM, Xen, and Virtualbox :)

Still shows 37 of these in stock in Denver, I'm trying to think of a reason this shouldn't replace the Q6600 in my secondary machine.

I purchased one from the Houston Store yesterday and plugged it into my box 8GB OCZ 1066 capable DDR2.

I was able to take it to 3.6 (450x8) with only a small bump in vcore. It is stable so far with no issues. I reinstalled windows and a few games which don't seem any faster than my old e6600, but that was expected (295 GTX).

All in all I have had a positive experience with this chip.

Hey guys, is this chip worth $159.00? I mean, is that a great deal for this chip or what?

Hey guys, is this chip worth $159.00? I mean, is that a great deal for this chip or what?

It's been $179 at Microcenter for many months, so it's a $20 discount. Excellent deal, but if you're not in a hurry you'll probably see better ones at some point.

It's been $179 at Microcenter for many months, so it's a $20 discount. Excellent deal, but if you're not in a hurry you'll probably see better ones at some point.

I thought Intel wasn't making anymore Quad core's for sock 775......or are you suggesting this CPU will go even cheaper? I'm really not in any hurry.

Then the Micro Center by me needs to update their signage and their website. They have it for 239.99, and even in store the price tag said that.

I thought Intel wasn't making anymore Quad core's for sock 775......or are you suggesting this CPU will go even cheaper? I'm really not in any hurry.

Yeah, I meant you may see q9550 for $160 or q9400 for $100, before production stops and they go back up.

Then the Micro Center by me needs to update their signage and their website. They have it for 239.99, and even in store the price tag said that.

It may at times go back up, but for like 6 months or more it was regularly on sale for $179.

Yeah, I meant you may see q9550 for $160 or q9400 for $100, before production stops and they go back up.

It may at times go back up, but for like 6 months or more it was regularly on sale for $179.

You seriously think the Q9400 will go as low as $100? I just picked it up for $175 with OTD which includes sales tax......Maybe I should return it.

man, if i had a microcenter or a frys near me, i definitely would have blown my college savings by now.

Why do I subject my jobless self to this subforum? :(
Are you really unemployed? Or are you just hiding something from us?

f-Fudge-Packer-3121.jpg

Anyone know why the q9400 and q9550 have been OOS at many stores for the past month?

Anyone know why the q9400 and q9550 have been OOS at many stores for the past month?

The q9550's were out of stock at my local store (Dallas) for the past few weeks when they suddenly had 38 when I checked last night. I think they just don't order enough and they sell like [H]ot-cakes

Whenever I see Microcetner in the title, Its Automatically Out of Stock.

The q9550's were out of stock at my local store (Dallas) for the past few weeks when they suddenly had 38 when I checked last night. I think they just don't order enough and they sell like [H]ot-cakes

It also doesn't help that their online inventory status doesn't refresh till the next day it seems.

Here's a tip for ALL MC shoppers - CALL the damn store you plan on shopping at, and find out what they really have. Don't just rely on the MC website. I learned that lesson from calling the Westmont store when I went to get my Q9400. Website said they had 20 in stock, guy I talked to said there were 38 in stock. I called to be sure that said 20 were STILL in stock, only to find out they had even more in reality.

Back