intel core 2 duo processor speed ?

wannabeapilot

Limp Gawd
ok guys i have a question soon im going to be getting a new laptop with a core 2 duo
but what i need to know is since its dual core will it be slow if i get the 1.6 ghz processor

or will i need to get the 2 ghz processor if i want it to not lag in games like oblivion and fear

thanks for your help :)

The most important thing about playing games is the video card. Get the most powerful video card you can possibly afford, but don't expect desktop like performance out of most notebooks. You won't get it.

The 1.6GHz dual core is generally fine, but the 2.0GHz would be better for games.

OC the 1.86ghz C2D to 3ghz and your set. If you dont overclock however, it still will be decent.

WarriorX said:
OC the 1.86ghz C2D to 3ghz and your set. If you dont overclock however, it still will be decent.

Few laptops allow overclocking. It isn't the easist thing to do considering the cooling solutions in most portable machines won't be up to the challenge.

I agree with Dan_D, your most important part is going to be your video card.

With a 8800GTS in 3DMark06, in the individual tests (not CPU score) I only gained around 1fps when going from a stock 1.86GHz E6300 to a 3.22GHz E6300. Yeah that's a desktop machine, but you can see it's still GPU limited even with the huge overclock.

ok thanks for your help guys i appreciate it :)

the graphics card ill probaly get will be either the 7900 go gs or the ati x1400 pro

wannabeapilot said:
ok thanks for your help guys i appreciate it :)

the graphics card ill probaly get will be either the 7900 go gs or the ati x1400 pro

It probably costs a lot more, but go for the 7900 if you can. The X1400 is junk for games - just a slightly faster X1300, which was barely adequate for F.E.A.R. at 800x600 for me.

Back