Intel Confirms Ice Lake Core Processor Family on 10nm+

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s not much, but Intel has updated their site with a bit of info on their upcoming Ice Lake processors, which will follow Cannon lake, their initial transition to 10nm: a post confirms that it’ll be a successor to the 8th generation Core processor family, and that the chips will utilize the 10nm+ process. The company may reveal a little more on August 21 during their Coffee Lake event.

Early Intel roadmaps indicated Kaby Lake would be followed by Cannonlake on 10nm but Coffee Lake is the fourth tweak to 14nm. Perhaps Intel has decided to stride forward straight to 10nm+ due to competition from AMD Ryzen processors. The uncertainty stems from Intel's statement of Ice Lake being "a successor to the 8th generation Intel Core processor family," rather than 'the successor'. In January we heard that three 10nm Core processor families would be launched by Intel; Cannonlake, then Ice Lake, followed by Tiger Lake (following this model: Process-Architecture-Optimization).

Desperation is hitting them hard to be posting this far ahead.

Hell, they haven't even said much about the NEXT one and are already talking about the successor.

Desperation is hitting them hard to be posting this far ahead.

Hell, they haven't even said much about the NEXT one and are already talking about the successor.
Intel is anything but desperate. They can wipe AMD out easy but they just enjoy their 80%+ market share and high profit margin on their CPU that still out sell AMD.

images

2015 finally arrived

Intel is anything but desperate. They can wipe AMD out easy but they just enjoy their 80%+ market share and high profit margin on their CPU that still out sell AMD.

You sound like a fanboy.

Then they'll be enjoying many lawsuits against them and/or forcefully split up.

Icelake has been on Intel's roadmap since at least 2014. Everybody knows it's coming. This could just be confirmation that it's taped out.

It was taped out quite a while ago. Icelake systems also spotted on Sandra. Also where the 48KB L1D comes from.

H2 2018 launch.

And as expected with Intel since X299 just launched, it will clearly mean Icelake will ship with PCI-E 4.0 to make X299 less relevant.

You sound like a fanboy.

Then they'll be enjoying many lawsuits against them and/or forcefully split up.
Hence why they don't knock them out. It is good for business to let AMD stick around. If Intel was worried they would of lowered their prices but it is business as usual for Intel. All AMD did was force Intel to move up their time table a bit.

In the future we won't bother to distinguish between skylake, kaby lake, cannon lake, coffee lake, latte lake, ice lake, tiger lake, etc. We'll just refer to them all as "asterisk lake".

In the future we won't bother to distinguish between skylake, kaby lake, cannon lake, coffee lake, latte lake, ice lake, tiger lake, etc. We'll just refer to them all as "asterisk lake".

If one of them (starting with 10nm) turns out to be better than Ryzen/Threadripper 2, then I'll likely get one. Then I'll have a bridge for sale.

*rimshot

Is there a lot of lawsuits against ARM Holding? Have it been split up yet?

Intel and ARM operate on completely different models. ARM is just a design company.

Intel makes designs and builds cpus and sues anyone who doesn't have a licence to make cpus based on their designs. They do not licence anything much of anything anymore... because they don't want anyone really making their cpus.

ARM designs cpus. They don't build them. They sell a licence to anyone that wants one that has money in hand. They don't even care if licences extend their core designs. Which is why there are multiple major ARM companies. Samsung, Apple, Qualcomm ect manufacture ARM extended CPUs designs.

Gotta love Intel talking about chips coming after the next chip.

If it was the end of March I would be looking forward to all the Zen 3 leaks on April 1. lol

Seriously though I'm excited... if the next intel chip gives us the normal 2-3% bump and this one does the same we can be looking at Intel chips that are almost boost performance double digits over their 5 year old designs. lmao Intel get lost.

They always did. That's what roadmaps are for.

Really they have held live streamed events to talk about products 2 iterations out ? Guess I missed those. lol

Having said that it does seem they are planning to perhaps get these out by xmas.... so I guess they are fast tracking stuff. Sounds more like they have decided to take the next chip on the road map and just leap frog it to me. Clearly another 2-3% bump in performance wasn't going to do anything but make them look stupid.

Really they have held live streamed events to talk about products 2 iterations out ? Guess I missed those. lol

Having said that it does seem they are planning to perhaps get these out by xmas.... so I guess they are fast tracking stuff. Sounds more like they have decided to take the next chip on the road map and just leap frog it to me. Clearly another 2-3% bump in performance wasn't going to do anything but make them look stupid.

Yes you missed it. NVidia also talked about Volta before Pascal launch and AMD talking about both GPUs and CPUs multiple generations out.

Yes you missed it. NVidia also talked about Volta before Pascal launch and AMD talking about both GPUs and CPUs multiple generations out.

I think your missing what intel is selling here. Volta has been talked about because Nvidia is selling it already. Amd talked about Vega before releasing Vega... even though performance of vega is seen to be weak they didn't go and start talking about vega 2 before releasing vega. AMD talked about zen for a solid year sure... but they didn't start talking about it before they released their Excavator core.

We'll have to wait till 21st to see what it is they want to detail... rumors are they want to talk about 4 core i3s and a bump for i7s to 6 cores for ice. We'll see I guess.If Intel is planning to get such products out before the end of the year I would have to say that is a pretty direct reaction to AMDs chips. If they feel the need to hype that change really hard I would say they are feeling some sales pressure. I guess I'll actually pay attention on Monday I am rarely interested in boring Intel sales streams... but perhaps I'll check it out. lol

I think your missing what intel is selling here. Volta has been talked about because Nvidia is selling it already. Amd talked about Vega before releasing Vega... even though performance of vega is seen to be weak they didn't go and start talking about vega 2 before releasing vega. AMD talked about zen for a solid year sure... but they didn't start talking about it before they released their Excavator core.

We'll have to wait till 21st to see what it is they want to detail... rumors are they want to talk about 4 core i3s and a bump for i7s to 6 cores for ice. We'll see I guess.If Intel is planning to get such products out before the end of the year I would have to say that is a pretty direct reaction to AMDs chips. If they feel the need to hype that change really hard I would say they are feeling some sales pressure. I guess I'll actually pay attention on Monday I am rarely interested in boring Intel sales streams... but perhaps I'll check it out. lol

You need to do your research.

Volta was mentioned in 2013
Navi was mentioned in 2016 before Polaris was released.
Zen3 was mentioned in 2017

And the last 2 you may even be able to find earlier dates.

You need to do your research.

Volta was mentioned in 2013
Navi was mentioned in 2016 before Polaris was released.
Zen3 was mentioned in 2017

And the last 2 you may even be able to find earlier dates.

We'll see on the 21st... but it sounds like Intel isn't going to be just mentioning ice lake, but rather talking about products they plan to ship before the end of the year in response to AMDs current line up. I understand how roadmaps work... the point is it sounds like Intel is going to start announcing products based on a chip that isn't next up. (we'll see on the 21s that may not be the case, perhaps product announcments are just unfounded rumors and all they will do is mention a few minor details of ice lake, as per usual.)

We'll see on the 21st... but it sounds like Intel isn't going to be just mentioning ice lake, but rather talking about products they plan to ship before the end of the year in response to AMDs current line up. I understand how roadmaps work... the point is it sounds like Intel is going to start announcing products based on a chip that isn't next up. (we'll see on the 21s that may not be the case, perhaps product announcments are just unfounded rumors and all they will do is mention a few minor details of ice lake, as per usual.)

I think this is a special circumstance since Cannon Lake was originally supposed to be 10nm, but Intel has changed that to its successor (Ice Lake), and is releasing that info for clarification purposes. As an enterprise IT tech, I can appreciate that, since business IT planners waiting to migrate their existing 14-32nm servers, desktops, and laptops to the smaller and more power efficient 10nm node can now plan accordingly.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Been hearing about the race to get at or below the 10nm die for awhile now from many sides of the fence. It'll be interesting if the final performance yields are truly impressive. Mostly it seems to be about power/heat ratios, perhaps a few more features and not so much speed. I've read some technical posts that really delve into why Intel needs to just commit to a new architecture to truly shake things up since the current seems to be reaching the end of its potential. Problem is that so much is invested and entrenched with the current I'm not sure how they could get the planet to go with something different.

I think this is a special circumstance since Cannon Lake was originally supposed to be 10nm, but Intel has changed that to its successor (Ice Lake), and is releasing that info for clarification purposes. As an enterprise IT tech, I can appreciate that, since business IT planners waiting to migrate their existing 14-32nm servers, desktops, and laptops to the smaller and more power efficient 10nm node can now plan accordingly.
Cannonlake is still going to be 10nm. Where did you hear otherwise? Cannonlake is the Process and Icelake is the Architecture, just as Broadwell was the Process and Skylake was the Architecture.

Cannonlake is still going to be 10nm. Where did you hear otherwise? Cannonlake is the Process and Icelake is the Architecture, just as Broadwell was the Process and Skylake was the Architecture.
Hadn't followed it enough to know that, I guess tick/tock isn't really dead.

Shoot...my bad. I just checked a few roadmaps and CNL is still the first 10nm offering. Don't know where the hell I hear otherwise, other than confusing things with too much blood in my coffee stream.

Been hearing about the race to get at or below the 10nm die for awhile now from many sides of the fence. It'll be interesting if the final performance yields are truly impressive. Mostly it seems to be about power/heat ratios, perhaps a few more features and not so much speed. I've read some technical posts that really delve into why Intel needs to just commit to a new architecture to truly shake things up since the current seems to be reaching the end of its potential. Problem is that so much is invested and entrenched with the current I'm not sure how they could get the planet to go with something different.

10nm isn't 10nm. So you cant compare. Renaming in the foundry business became big business.

Hadn't followed it enough to know that, I guess tick/tock isn't really dead.
It changed to Process (node shrink)-Architecture-Optimization. In the most recent case Broadwell=Process, Skylake=Architecture, Kabylake=Optimization, Coffeelake=Optimization 2 (or a stopgap due to delays with 10nm).

Coming up we have Cannonlake=Process, Icelake=Architecture, Tigerlake=Optimization.

It changed to Process (node shrink)-Architecture-Optimization. In the most recent case Broadwell=Process, Skylake=Architecture, Kabylake=Optimization, Coffeelake=Optimization 2 (or a stopgap due to delays with 10nm).

Coming up we have Cannonlake=Process, Icelake=Architecture, Tigerlake=Optimization.

Icelake is also process. 10nm to 10nm+.

Just give me the 10nm+ since they already have it in house.

I am more interested what's after the "lakes"..

Just give me the 10nm+ since they already have it in house.

I am more interested what's after the "lakes"..

I'm voting that they go with the names of moons...like Phobos. And Leather Goddesses will be their new company mascots. Watch.

Back