Now, as a preface, I own three Intel P4 based machines, and like them. Having said that, the idea posted on the main [H] page today that moving to intel chips will only be good for apple is perhaps a bit glib.
I was just talking to a Japanese Apple distributor based not too far from Tokyo (personal friend), who said that Apple will be able to reduce the cost of their products, and improve their processing power, however, they are always VERY worried about copycat clones and reverse engineering in order to produce such clones; which would likely be much easier if they were using intel x86 architecture for their new machines.
Based on what happened with the early IBM x86 machines, Apple doesn't want there to be a million knock-off, Apple-compatible clones. I mean, isn't it ironic that IBM branded PCs these days use Intel processors?
Granted, my contact is not really an "insider", in the truest sense, but what he says rings true. Can anyone else think of ways that switching to Intel processors might be BAD for apple?
(btw, I didn't see whether or not they said simply intel chips, or intexl x86 chips....could it be a non x86 architecture?)
I was just talking to a Japanese Apple distributor based not too far from Tokyo (personal friend), who said that Apple will be able to reduce the cost of their products, and improve their processing power, however, they are always VERY worried about copycat clones and reverse engineering in order to produce such clones; which would likely be much easier if they were using intel x86 architecture for their new machines.
Based on what happened with the early IBM x86 machines, Apple doesn't want there to be a million knock-off, Apple-compatible clones. I mean, isn't it ironic that IBM branded PCs these days use Intel processors?
Granted, my contact is not really an "insider", in the truest sense, but what he says rings true. Can anyone else think of ways that switching to Intel processors might be BAD for apple?
(btw, I didn't see whether or not they said simply intel chips, or intexl x86 chips....could it be a non x86 architecture?)