Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K - $309.99 - eBay

Nice... I just requested a price protection from my credit card for the one i purchased 2 month ago for $370... Sweet find.

If I was building a new machine, would it be better to go with this or a 4790K from Microcenter for $290? It's been a few years since I build my last machine and I haven't been watching the tech move along, but I know I need the cores over an i5 for transcoding for Plex.

If I was building a new machine, would it be better to go with this or a 4790K from Microcenter for $290? It's been a few years since I build my last machine and I haven't been watching the tech move along, but I know I need the cores over an i5 for transcoding for Plex.

Can plex use Quicksync? If you can use Quicksync it almost doesn't even matter what CPU you have for encoding/transcoding.

EDIT: Looking it up, it looks like Plex does not support Quicksync as of yet.

they perform identically.

So for a few more dollars, and "future proofing", it sounds like it makes a little more sense to go with the 6700k for peripherals then?
i can't really say. i don't know what 1151 motherboards can do that 1150 motherboards can't, or won't in the future. $320 for the 6700K is much more reasonable than the asinine $400+ they were going for not long ago. i'd say just have a look and see if there's anything (i doubt it) that skylake can do that haswell can't, figure out if it's worth it to you, then choose accordingly.

personally, i think that CPUs are one of the few things that you can be confident about buying used, which is why i jumped on a used 4770K for $230 on ebay. i'd recommend looking into that if that's something you're comfortable with.

Perfect timing. I am helping a friend build a new machine to last a few years and this should help do it.

Microcenter usually has good mobo/ram/CPU combos though, right?

i can't really say. i don't know what 1151 motherboards can do that 1150 motherboards can't, or won't in the future. $320 for the 6700K is much more reasonable than the asinine $400+ they were going for not long ago. i'd say just have a look and see if there's anything (i doubt it) that skylake can do that haswell can't, figure out if it's worth it to you, then choose accordingly.

personally, i think that CPUs are one of the few things that you can be confident about buying used, which is why i jumped on a used 4770K for $230 on ebay. i'd recommend looking into that if that's something you're comfortable with.

1151 boards have waaaay better pci-e setup.

Z97 is, iirc, 8 lanes off the chipset of pci-e 2.0
Z170 is 20 lanes off the chipset of pci-e 3.0

I think off the cpu's, they are the same or very close...

Also CPU -> chipset is DMI 2.0 on 1150 and DMI 3.0 on 1151. Bandwidth is doubled.

Microcenter usually has good mobo/ram/CPU combos though, right?

They usually have fantastic prices. Whether AMD or Intel. There AMD prices are killer, but you know....getting an AMD. I have thought about one for the garage though. Basic AMD + motherboard for $40 total.

Just got mine from eBay. Looks OK, but a "slight" chance the box has been opened. Seals weren't cut, but the tape seemed slightly off and I could open it easily myself and re-seal. Chip doesn't appear to have been used though as the gold contacts look pristine. I can only spot two TINY pin points in two of the pads. Probably factory tests? Heat spreader looks fine.

Back