Intel BOXDX79SI help please

no7fish

n00b
Hey guys, I've been sitting on this build for a while and I need some help to get it running. I have an Intel BOXDX79si that I've been trying to run with a i7 - 3820.

Since the bios apparently doesn't support this CPU ( I discovered after building) I sent it back to the 'egg for a replacement with the newer bios. They claim there are bent pins on the CPU socket and won't replace it. I know this is untrue because I inspected the pins while I was trying to troubleshoot the problem.

In any case, I'm stuck with this board, and I need to get it up to the current bios so it'll run with my CPU. Problem is I don't want to spend $300 more on a newer CPU just to reflash it.

Can someone on here reflash my bios for me if I send it to them? The thing is useless to me and I can't spend another $300 on a mobo or CPU, but I've been sitting on this machine for far too long. Help anyone??

I'm in Raleigh, NC too if there happens to be anyone close by with another in the series of Sandy Bridge E /2011 CPU's that can lend a hand.

hope someone can help my buddy out here. he is sitting on alot of $ in parts and unable to use them because intel decided to make it where the bios would not boot with that CPU without an update (WTF)

hopefully theres someone local to him that can drop a different chip in to get the bios up to date

Anyone? Anyone at all that can help me with a BIOS update? Or even a recommendation where to have this done?

Have you try calling the Intel customer support to get any suggestions?

There is a way to make a recovery BIOS disc that will flash the latest bios automatically even if the system boots up with an unsupported CPU. I remember reading about it when I was getting ready to purchase the DX79TO board. I read about it in the feedback section of newegg's product page. Like the post above said, Intel should have a way for you to get this done without a new CPU.

Here is the best advice that I can give you. You can find some resellers/repair shops in your area at this site http://inteltechpros.com/ . Check with them to see if any have an Intel® Core™ i7-3930K or an Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition in stock that they may be able to use for a few minutes to load the Bios on the board for you.

As far as the bent pins if you see any I would advise that you try to straighten them using the hollow part of a mechanical pencil. You have to be very carefil trying to do it but it is possible to do.

Here is the best advice that I can give you. You can find some resellers/repair shops in your area at this site http://inteltechpros.com/ . Check with them to see if any have an Intel® Core™ i7-3930K or an Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition in stock that they may be able to use for a few minutes to load the Bios on the board for you.

As far as the bent pins if you see any I would advise that you try to straighten them using the hollow part of a mechanical pencil. You have to be very carefil trying to do it but it is possible to do.

No retailer will open a CPU like that just for that purpose. And the pins in the socket on LGA style sockets are hooked. You do not use mechanical pencils on them. Tiny, tiny ass tweezers work best.

I fixed the pins as soon as it came bac from newegg. I spent this weekend travelling around various computer tech service to find that they cannot open a CPU to help, and it's not a common enough CPU that they have one around.
I ended up purchasing the 3930, reflashing the bios, and returning it for a full refund. I didn't want to do it that way, but it worked so now I have a computer and I'm happy.

Back