Intel BOXDX38BT Or Foxconn Mars

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
I plan on upgrading my current rig after the holiday and I'm trying to decide between these two motherboards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121090

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186133

I plan on pairing one of these boards with a Q6600 and then either 2GB or DDR2 or DDR3 depending on which board I go with. I want to overclock the Q6600 and this I plan on doing some heavy gaming/video editing and encoding. Which of these two boards should I do with?

One is a P35 w/DDR2 and the other is a X38 w/DDR3 only. So just ask yourself which do you want. There are plenty of P35 vs X38 threads. IMO I would go with the newer X38 but wouldn't jump on the DD3 wagon yet. I'm thinking about getting the Abit X38 QuadGT with DDR2.

The bonetrail is a pain in the butt to o/c right now...immature bios and all not to mention, intel boards are a pain to tweak anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Go with the intel IMHO.

If you have the cash to consider DDR3 get the X38.

intel boards are a pain to tweak anyway. Just my 2 cents.
:rolleyes:

At one time that was true, but since badaxe2 not so much. Out of all the 975x boards intels was the best, abits was damn close. I've got high hopes for the intel x38. Not having dumb heatpipes makes it a double winner.

Is it good the Intel doesn't have all the copper heat pipes or is it a weakness?

Depends on your cooling setup.

If DDR3 was bargain basement cheap like DDR2, I'd seriously consider ditching my BA2 for the BT board. But, I just ordered up 2x1GB more SuperTalent, and I'm crossing my fingers Intel doesn't bitch out and has a BIOS update that will allow the new Cores in the BA2.

We'll see. My Xeon is fine for a while.

Go with the intel IMHO.

If you have the cash to consider DDR3 get the X38.

:rolleyes:

At one time that was true, but since badaxe2 not so much. Out of all the 975x boards intels was the best, abits was damn close. I've got high hopes for the intel x38. Not having dumb heatpipes makes it a double winner.

In fact, Intel has never used a fan to cool its MCH or ICH, for that matter. Instead, Intel uses just a monster-sized passive heat sink to cool its MCH plus a smaller (but still sizable) passive heat sink for its ICH. You see, NB and SB cooling fans can get clogged and eventually fail, and replacements are nowhere near as common as CPU or GPU coolers.

In fact, Intel has never used a fan to cool its MCH or ICH, for that matter. Instead, Intel uses just a monster-sized passive heat sink to cool its MCH plus a smaller (but still sizable) passive heat sink for its ICH. You see, NB and SB cooling fans can get clogged and eventually fail, and replacements are nowhere near as common as CPU or GPU coolers.

Partially true on the bonetrail...the mb actually comes with a mounting kit to put a fan on the nb chipset. As for the ocability of the intel boards...like I said, it's mainly to due with the bios atm...the badaxe 2 was a dream to oc, the bonetrail...I can't even get the board to post with my ram set to it's default 1333. It will get better for sure but not right now. I'm in the process of returning this bonetrail (which I waited for and had high hopes for) and changing out to the maximus extreme.

Back