• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel board and CPU question

Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
677
I have a HTPC that was setup and working very well. It crashed last night and I can't get it to reboot consistently. Sometimes, when it does boot to Windows, it will crash out completely. No BIOS info on reboot. The Intel board code states E6 error. I read that is a loading drivers code. I don't know what that means.

It is an Intel DP55sb board and a G6950 Pentium CPU.

Any help on this is appreciated.
 
Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process. Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings. Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility. Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

flash the BIOS with "Recovery BIOS"
 
It could be a motherboard issue, a memory issue, a hard drive issue, or even a software issue. I suggest testing each of those things to try and figure out the cause. Try booting with one stick of RAM at a time and see if it will work. If not, try putting in another HD and installing Windows on it. If that doesn't work, then it's probably the motherboard.
 
It's quite unlikely that the CPU is failing. The motherboard is probably the issue.
 
I have only seen one other time where a cpu was bad. Very rare you are correct. The board did see some issues with the ethernet crashing after trying to connect to the LAN. It went away with the updated Intel site drivers, but now this E6 crap.
I think it is 50/50 but am leaning to the cpu.
 
I talked to Intel yesterday on chat and they said that my RAM might be the issue. It is an OCZ pair of ddr3 running at 1.65v 1333. The board can handle that no issue, but they said the processor is set up to run at up to 1.5v. So I ordered a new pair of DIMMs at 1.5v to test.

Here is the proc specs

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43230&wapkw=(g6950)


Does this sound right to anyone?


EDIT...
on further thought, I canceled the PNY order and want to max out that board. It's for a HTPC. I found this QC kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231309

Give me your thoughts....
 
Last edited:
I talked to Intel yesterday on chat and they said that my RAM might be the issue. It is an OCZ pair of ddr3 running at 1.65v 1333. The board can handle that no issue, but they said the processor is set up to run at up to 1.5v. So I ordered a new pair of DIMMs at 1.5v to test.

Here is the proc specs

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43230&wapkw=(g6950)


Does this sound right to anyone?


EDIT...
on further thought, I canceled the PNY order and want to max out that board. It's for a HTPC. I found this QC kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231309

Give me your thoughts....

Although your Pentium G6950 officially supports a maximum memory speed of DDR3-1066, that quad-module G.SKILL kit is definitely overkill for an HTPC. You don't need even 8GB, let alone 16GB, for an HTPC. 4GB total is enough.
 
I have a Ceton card in it and the DCA wants me to have a min of 4GB for the tuning abilities. (4 SDV's at once.)
I figured that adding another 4GB for everything else would make it a pretty good machine.
 
Back
Top