Intel "Bad Axe" XBX no video displayed

Kaiden

n00b
I posted this in the Intel motherboard section as well... but I'm kind of desperate to get some help.

I just put together all my brand new parts and I have a problem that I can't figure out. I turn the computer on and I don't get any video! I have the Intel E6600 along with Patriot 1GBx2 memory and a 7950GX2 video card installed. I doublechecked time and time again that all the power cables are plugged in. I have the OCZ 600-watt power supply. I have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector plugged into the 7950GX2, I have tried moveing the video from the primary slot to the other two PCI-E slots and no luck. I have tried two different monitors, using both DVI and trying the regular VGA adapter as well. The weird thing is is I get no beeps if I pull the video card out or have it in. I tested with the memory and pulled the memory out, and sure enough, i get 3 short beeps.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced an issue like this... do you think it's my motherboard? My video card? I wish I had another motherboard with PCI-E to test in, and my other computer has an AGP card... doh!

Well can you tell if your system is booting or not? Beeps and buzzes?

See, I'm not totally sure. I hear all the fans come on, but I can't tell if it is posting or not. There is no beep at all, but I see the lights on the motherboard come on, the fans spin etc.

Do you think it could be the processor possibly? Also, when I have my monitor unplugged it says no signal, I plug it in and that goes away, but no video. So I'm thinking the card is grounded. Also, the video card's fan spins and the video card starts to get a bit warm after awhile, so I definately think it's got power.

The other thing is, according to the manual I don't see any beep codes except for the memory beep codes. Is it possible there would be no other beep codes to give warnings? The only codes it says is a Thermal warning and a Memory beep.

Also, when I turn the system on, the keyboard and mouse lights come on, and I can turn off and on caps lock and numlock fine.

is your bad axe a rev 304 or higher,needs to be to support conroe or maybe a bios update to support that high power nvidia card

Hmm... I just ordered it brand new from mwave... when I get home I'll check. Will this be on the box? or how do I tell the rev?

maybe on the box but I think I remember reading there is a sticker on the mother board with the rev. number

If it turns out to be an older revision, what are my options? I ordered the MB and cpu from mwave, and they appeared to come bundled together, so I don't know why they would sell me two products incompatible with eachother. I don't really see many available boards for conroe =(.

You need to update the MB bios with another video card. The shipping bios will not boot with the 7950. It's a known issue.

Damn, double whammy, not only could it not support my cpu, but my video too, lol. Hmm... wonder if i should grab a cheapy pci-E at a hardware store and then take it back.

Thx for the info Fluke. Now I haven't updated a Bios in years... back to Amd Athlon 400mhz days...

I don't currently have a floppy... is this as simple as installing XP with a cheapy pci-E card and then download a driver and install from the OS or will I need to install from some sort of floppy?

One thing concerns me though. I was looking at the "BadAxe" Bios revisions and it doesn't look like they added support for the Core 2 cpu's until version 1334, which wasn't released until July.

So, if that's the case and I do get a cheap pci-E video card for now... am I not going to be able to boot anyway since I have a Core 2 Duo... or do you think any new motherboard bought in the last couple of weeks would be Bios 1334 or higher already?

Also... I just looked on Nvidia's website and it looks like the 7950GX2 is compatible with BIOS 1073 and higher, which means that I would probably be screwed anyway, either by it not seeing my core 2 or the video card... am I right?

Intel D975XBX Intel 975X Bios: 1073

Above rev are not Conroe 2 Duo friendly.
If you have any revision 303 or lower, your motherboard need some modifications. If you have rev 304 you are ok to run C2D. Mine is rev 302 and it's been moded right now.
Before I took it out I was running a 7950GX2 with no problems. My original bios was 1073 and now it's up to 1351.
Chech link below:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99298
Above link will help you understand.

My BadAxe Rev 3.04 booted with a C2D and the shipping bios. It's just the vid card holding you back. You need to confirm what rev board you have. If you go to the Intel website you can dl a file that will make a DOS based bios update floppy. Yes, you'll need a floppy. The Intel floppy makes it a no brainer. No commands or anything. Don't give up. The hardware you've selected will rock.
Fluke

Kaiden said:
One thing concerns me though. I was looking at the "BadAxe" Bios revisions and it doesn't look like they added support for the Core 2 cpu's until version 1334, which wasn't released until July.

So, if that's the case and I do get a cheap pci-E video card for now... am I not going to be able to boot anyway since I have a Core 2 Duo... or do you think any new motherboard bought in the last couple of weeks would be Bios 1334 or higher already?

Also... I just looked on Nvidia's website and it looks like the 7950GX2 is compatible with BIOS 1073 and higher, which means that I would probably be screwed anyway, either by it not seeing my core 2 or the video card... am I right?

Intel D975XBX Intel 975X Bios: 1073

from mwave than more than likely it's a 304 or newer,they are relieable and if need be I would get a a different vga to boot with and bios flash than do a return,undamaged of course
I am a believer in bios up-date from pure dos so all my systems have a floppy worth the $8.00 to have the option

I have this EXACT same problem right now!

I have a USB Floppy drive with the latest iFlash BIOS update. Problem is that I boot up the machine (no video) and watch the USB Floppy LED come on. Then it goes off after about 5-10 seconds and nothing! I let it sit there for awhile and then reboot....NO FREAKING VIDEO STILL!

I am so frustrated. I have tried everything I can think of. Are you sure this iFlash update method doesnt prompt the user to hit enter or type Y for yes or something?

Do we have to remove our 7950GX2 in order to update the BIOS?

*sigh*

Back