Intel Atom 330 board coming in September 08

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/233/intel_quietly_releases_dual_core_atom_330_mobo/index.html

Gig NIC on this one, versus the 10/100 on the previous board. Perfect for my next WHS. :D

Providing a big Internet experience in a small package, the Intel® Desktop Board D945GCLF2 features the newest mini-ITX form factor. Backward compatible with ATX/MicroATX, this form factor allows PC manufacturers and system builders to create energy-efficient solutions with the ultimate small chassis flexibility. The board is integrated with a low-power dual-core Intel® Atom™ Processor with 533 MHz system bus, and the Intel® 945GC Express Chipset with built-in Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950. There is a single DIMM socket designed to support up to 2 GB of DDR2 667/533 SDRAM.

For custom system configurations and future add-in upgrades there is a PCI expansion slot. In addition, the board includes an IDE connector supporting up to two ATA 100/66 devices, and an integrated 10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet LAN connectivity. Featuring High Definition Audio (6-Channel) with front panel header, the integrated stereo audio provides excellent value. The board also supports up to eight Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports (four back panel ports and two onboard headers supporting four additional USB 2.0 ports), two Serial ATA ports (3.0 Gb/s), and an S-Video connector.

Intel should ditch that chipset. It's the only thing holding me back from purchasing one.

Its a YEAR since Atom was released. GET RID OF THAT DREADFUL INTEL GMA. Give me PowerVR's GMA 500 or gtfo.

Seriously, this chipset has signficantly greater than 10x the power consumption of the cpu. Get your emberassing failure out of my sight Intel, I'm sick of seeing it.

Edit: suhweet, Intel announced GMA 500 for the new dual core Z5x0's. Deliverence! Goodbye forever Intel GMA.

Fuck. They need to upgrade it to something similar to the G45 but for a server I'm glad I waited on getting a GCLF. :)

I remember looking at atom boards a few [maybe 2] months ago, they were around $40 on ebay, now after "popular mechanics" did a little article [more like an advertisement] they are $80. :(

best [486];1032926131 said:
I remember looking at atom boards a few [maybe 2] months ago, they were around $40 on ebay, now after "popular mechanics" did a little article [more like an advertisement] they are $80. :(

Damn, wish I jumped on those deals. I wouldn't care what chipset it was running at that price.

Yeah, I looked at benchmarks and dothan was faster, so I got a mini itx motherboard for that, for about $5 more, every mini itx mobo has recently shot up in price on ebay. :( I hate it when the general population finds out about something "new" and well, currently "green", prices go up a bazillion times in a few weeks, instead of down.

I remember seeing these for cheap on ebay too. Anyways, I'm looking forward for the Atom 330.

im planning on building a cost-effective htpc for a christmas present, you guys think the atom 330 solution would work ok? its going to be a vista machine, and preferably somewhat portable... low power consumption is a must, i dont want anything more then 75w or so total...

I remember seeing a video somewhere of an Atom struggling bigtime with HD content running XP, so I don't really think the Atom would be a good call for HTPC.

However, there's a company called VIA that makes low power processor and chipset combos, and they actually are supposed to perform better than that Atom, but I don't knwo how true that is.

im planning on building a cost-effective htpc for a christmas present, you guys think the atom 330 solution would work ok? its going to be a vista machine, and preferably somewhat portable... low power consumption is a must, i dont want anything more then 75w or so total...
I hope your kidding. Atom plus the 945GC is just pure shit for video decoding.
I remember seeing a video somewhere of an Atom struggling bigtime with HD content running XP, so I don't really think the Atom would be a good call for HTPC.

However, there's a company called VIA that makes low power processor and chipset combos, and they actually are supposed to perform better than that Atom, but I don't knwo how true that is.
Thats VIA's Nano CPU which isn't ever on the market yet; VIA's other CPUs and chipsets are also pure shit for video playback.

I hope your kidding. Atom plus the 945GC is just pure shit for video decoding.

Thats VIA's Nano CPU which isn't ever on the market yet; VIA's other CPUs and chipsets are also pure shit for video playback.

Oh so the C7 is crap as well? I was under the impression they were better than the Atom but if that's not the case nevermind then.

Using a low power board/CPU like the Atom or Nano for a HD HTPC or any other processor-intensive application is a bad idea. You'd be better off with a mATX board with a more powerful CPU in a nice small case like the Antec Fusion. :D

Using a low power board/CPU like the Atom or Nano for a HD HTPC or any other processor-intensive application is a bad idea. You'd be better off with a mATX board with a more powerful CPU in a nice small case like the Antec Fusion. :D
or you could get the g45 mini itx board and throw in a c2d or maybe even a c2q.

or you could get the g45 mini itx board and throw in a c2d or maybe even a c2q.

Except for the fact that for almost the price of the Mini ITX Intel board you can buy both a X2 BE-2400 and a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H shipped. :rolleyes:

The only time you'll need a Quad is if you're using four or more Cablecard tuners and streaming it.

best [486];1032948218 said:
But it not ITX?

Tiny computer = good

If it's good then why is it that there aren't "mainstream" as in why can't I buy a Mini ITX board with a desktop CPU socket and a PCIe x16 slot less then $100? You know, at a decent price comparable to MATX boards that are awesome.

Tiny PC = good only when it makes sense and is priced accordingly.

Shit, MATX is "tiny" enough until some kind soul intergrates a dual ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner onto the back of a mobo with a solid IGP. Until then those four slots are like gold for an HTPC.

Except for the fact that for almost the price of the Mini ITX Intel board you can buy both a X2 BE-2400 and a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H shipped. :rolleyes:

The only time you'll need a Quad is if you're using four or more Cablecard tuners and streaming it.
true, but thats not mini itx and this is intel so of course its going to be a little more expensive.

Back