Intel Announces X-Series Basin Falls Refresh Processors

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Some info at Toms
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/basin-falls-refresh-intel-hedt,37900.html

So the base chip is now $589? So more like $650? Nicer board and your almost at $1000 before ram. Yikes I know its an 8 core and all but man. Is this normal HEDT? I remember reading they were going to have two tiers of high end, ie high end and super high end.
Do_nOcoV4AEq0yZ.jpg

Photo from OCN twitter

At least there is an upgrade path for LGA2066/X299 motherboards. Never know with Intel. Not sure the improvements other than the heat spreaders are reputedly soldered and not TIM-based. Also the "up to 68" PCIE 3.0 lanes is an improvement--not sure what the "up to" rub will be.

And it’s a massive 100mhz faster than its replacement. My delidded 7980xe is in no danger.

At least there is an upgrade path for LGA2066/X299 motherboards. Never know with Intel. Not sure the improvements other than the heat spreaders are reputedly soldered and not TIM-based. Also the "up to 68" PCIE 3.0 lanes is an improvement--not sure what the "up to" rub will be.

44 from CPU and 24 from the chipset, same as before.

The "up-to" is in regards to some of their last gen skews not supporting the full 44 PCIE lanes, I think all the current ones announced today fully support the 44 PCIE lanes though.

But the skus are about $10.00 cheaper this time!! Thank you so much Intel--every bit helps. And still no hardware fixes for Spectre, et. al.--just software and microcodes which will eat up a lot of the boosts to clocks. Have an idea I'll skip the upgrade as well.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
44 from CPU and 24 from the chipset, same as before.

The "up-to" is in regards to some of their last gen skews not supporting the full 44 PCIE lanes, I think all the current ones announced today fully support the 44 PCIE lanes though.

Good point as it says PLATFORM pcie lanes. Strange that they have two 10-core parts. I wonder if the 9820x is just a rebadged 7900x.

Well at least they aren't trying to push some 4 core parts on the hedt platform this time around.

Good point as it says PLATFORM pcie lanes. Strange that they have two 10-core parts. I wonder if the 9820x is just a rebadged 7900x.

Well at least they aren't trying to push some 4 core parts on the hedt platform this time around.
I would of bought a 4 core part of it fully supported ALL PCIe lanes but I have no intention of buying into the HEDT prices if I’m getting enthusiast level options lol. I don’t need a million cores, just the PCIe lanes and a few fast cores.

donno if this is the right place to ask but seeing some of the ram running at 4400mhz+. what is the point of those fast ram, especially at multiple channel 2/4/6, when the ring/uncore frequency is only at 3.6ghz. looking at these new cpu with mesh design, they only go up to like 3.2ghz at most before crashing. at this point wouldnt ram be too fast for cpu to benefit from it?

maybe some intel guys would have answer to this Dayman juanrga

mediocre.jpg

So microcode updates, no hardware fixes and laughable pricing. Nearly 3x cost of a 2700x for what 15% performance and possibly some PCI-e lanes? Lol have fun buying that for those sweet few FPS, 240p gamers. And a lot more power use, 165W TDP - 14 nm is really starting to bite them in the ass. It's like the 799999x vs the 1700/1800 all over again.

Looks like Intel is in for a rough year, and with 7nm hitting in coming months will begin to get even worse.
Value proposition almost makes a 2080 look good.

Utter bulllshit, they're not just priced higher than the ones they replace they barely clock higher. Fuck intel, it is decided my next HEDT will be Threadripper. No matter what.

Back