Intel Announces Winners of 2016 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation and the Society for Science & the Public today announced that Han Jie (Austin) Wang, 18, of Vancouver, Canada, is the recipient of the first place Gordon E. Moore Award and US$75,000 for developing microbial fuel cells (MFCs) that more efficiently convert organic waste into electricity. The award was given at this year’s Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, which is the world’s largest high school science research competition.

Wang, who received the top honor, identified specific genes in genetically enhanced E. coli bacteria that enabled them to generate power efficiently. His system can produce significantly more power than existing MFC processes at a cost that is competitive with solar energy, which he believes will make MFCs commercially viable.

Syamantak Payra, 15, of Friendswood, Texas, received one of two Intel Foundation Young Scientist Awards of US$50,000, for developing a low-cost electronically aided knee brace that allows an individual with a weakened leg to walk more naturally. When Payra tested his prototype with two individuals partially disabled by polio, it almost immediately restored a more natural gait and increased mobility.

Kathy Liu, 17, of Salt Lake City, Utah, received the other Intel Foundation Young Scientist Award of US$50,000 for developing an alternative battery component that could significantly improve battery performance and safety. Liu’s rechargeable battery is smaller and more lightweight, without the risk of fire inherent in lithium-ion batteries, which are used in planes, mobile phones and even hoverboards.

When I was the age of these chaps I was burning weed and chasing tail, I guess thats why I'm a cabinet maker/blacksmith.

Back