• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel announces AMD compat. 64 bit extensions...

from the article
Intel’s 64-bit extension technology will be software-compatible with AMD’s 64-bit extensions, Barrett said. There will be a few architectural differences that will not affect application compatibility, he said.
;)
 
I think Intel, while making it compatible with AMD's x86-64, will branch off and add more instructions to their own version and probably name it SSE64, making it incompatible with AMD's chips therefore robbing AMD of their edge in the 64-bit area even though AMD pioneered the idea and Intel bagged on it publicly only to realize the potential sales being lost to AMD because of the hype around 64-bit.

While I wouldn't expect anything different from Intel, I still don't respect it.
 
Originally posted by PliotronX
I think Intel, while making it compatible with AMD's x86-64, will branch off and add more instructions to their own version and probably name it SSE64, making it incompatible with AMD's chips therefore robbing AMD of their edge in the 64-bit area even though AMD pioneered the idea and Intel bagged on it publicly only to realize the potential sales being lost to AMD because of the hype around 64-bit.

While I wouldn't expect anything different from Intel, I still don't respect it.

I agree...I don't really see it as a win. I never really thought the "technology sharing" agreement between Intel & AMD was in AMD's favor anyway. Intel still is the 900 lb. gorilla & introducing an Athlon64 compat. chip w/ Intel's faster clockspeeds and much bigger marketing muscles to flex could hurt the sales of the A64. Just interesting that Intel is following AMD's lead, @ least intially...that's quite a change in & of itself and somewhat of an admission of the misinformation campaign that we don't need 64 bit computing for desktop computing. I know 64-bit is in its infancy, but the future belongs to 64-bit & Intel is pretty much admitting this---i.e., ppl do want 64-bit processors, irregardless of the "hype" surrounding the entire issue. ;)
 
Back
Top