Intel Announcement To Impact AMD’s Creativity?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to DigiTimes, Taiwan-based motherboard makers are saying that Intel’s recent transistor breakthrough will force AMD to be more creative.

Taiwan-based motherboard makers indicated that Intel should be able to increase its technology lead over AMD, and in order not to further endanger its market position, AMD should look to develop innovative solutions instead of competing head to head with Intel.

All I know is that AMD is dropping the ball hardcore and they need to pickup the slack ASAP.

Absolutely right. AMD got popular for its solid CPUs with a couple of features Intel didn't have right away. They got x64 and Dual first and they were lower power consumers too.

Intel played catch up and now they have all of that and a bit more. AMD will not be able to compete head to head and need an edge.

Things are not looking that great for AMD. The article mentions CPU+GPU integration as a possible edge for AMD. I would imagine that any such implementation would be targeted at the entry level looking for the absolutely lowest cost integrated video. While that would help AMD with market share at the bottom end, there is almost no profit to be made in that segment. Furthermore, Intel has been scooping up top graphics chip designer guys so they might have something brewing there as well. I think AMD’s only hope now is for Intel to make another really stupid decision (netburst v2?).

On the bright side, investors still don’t seem that excited about Intel. Over the last year, Intel stock price has actually declined!! They have turned their entire product line around and the market doesn’t seem to have taken that into account yet. Plus they have a PE ratio of only 25. Seems to me that Intel would be a nice long term investment. While big companies like Intel rarely generate huge returns, I think it will have an excellent averaged return over the next few years.

Absolutely right. AMD got popular for its solid CPUs with a couple of features Intel didn't have right away. They got x64 and Dual first and they were lower power consumers too.

Intel played catch up and now they have all of that and a bit more. AMD will not be able to compete head to head and need an edge.

They got dual first? How sure do you want to be on that? Intel was by far before AMD on SMP machines.. however, if you are talking about dual core, then AMD still wasn't the first, however they did beat Intel by almost 6 months. Intel creamed them on the quad core though by a long shot.

Also, as for 64-bit, how sure are you on that? MIPS was first followed by DEC... If you compared only intel and AMD, Intel was by far the first... by almost a decade.

I do believe in the processor technology war one company still dominates. Not really surprising considering how many different divisions they have making technology for processors.

IBM.

If you are talking symmetric processor.. that's them... duel, quad, and 8 core plus... Again them.

Virtualization at the hardware level... Yep that's IBM.

IBM has there development hands in every companies product.

How did AMD make the leap to duel core and 64bit for the desktop before Intel? IBM. They codeveloped and got them out the door. IBM has a knowledge store to rival the libraries of babalon when it comes to processors. Hell just information.

IBM has a server farm who's job it is to copy the internet.

Yes you read that correctly.

I know all of that because I worked for them for a few years a few years ago. ;)

They got dual first? How sure do you want to be on that? Intel was by far before AMD on SMP machines.. however, if you are talking about dual core, then AMD still wasn't the first, however they did beat Intel by almost 6 months. Intel creamed them on the quad core though by a long shot.

Also, as for 64-bit, how sure are you on that? MIPS was first followed by DEC... If you compared only intel and AMD, Intel was by far the first... by almost a decade.

Yes yes, what you say is true. I was referring to bringing these technologies to the mainstream market and making it work for them. Intel had 64-bit first, Itanium was their platform of choice to promote this. Call it whatever you want, luck, good timing... AMD brought the coolness factor in owning a 64-bit processor and extended the power with X2. None of this is revolutionary and none of this changed the computing world.

Back