Intel AHCI BIOS diagnostic codes

Metaluna

Limp Gawd
I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard that has been exhibiting a wierd problem booting off an Intel X25-M SSD.

I detailed the problem over in the Data Storage forum in this thread, but in a nutshell, when I have the SSD connected to the ICH10R controller, and AHCI is enabled in the BIOS, AND I have Windows 7 system and boot partitions installed on the SSD, the system hangs in the AHCI BIOS drive detection screen.

What I noticed is that during the AHCI drive detection, there is a 2-digit code being printed in the upper right corner of the screen that cycles through a bunch of numbers presumably to indicate different stages of the BIOS initialization. When everything is working, the code settles on "10", however when the SSD is installed and the system is hanging, the code is "23".

Does anyone have information on how to interpret these codes? Because this problem only occurs when Win7 is installed on the SSD, the only thing I can think of is that the BIOS is trying to read some partition information off the drive and getting confused somehow. The problem didn't occur when I tried installing Win7 on a mechanical drive (VelociRaptor).

Right now my system is running stable with the SSD booting off a Silicon Image Sil3132 PCIe controller, and my two mechanical drives on the ICH10R.

Back