Intel 930 or AMD 1090T ?

pseudo22

Weaksauce
I know you guys have probably seen alot of these threads, but i'm still curious to see what you guys (or girls) think.

I currently have a kit of Mushkin Redline 996805's right now and I plan on overclocking whatever processor I get. I mainly play games, but I just want the best performance all around. I'm currently thinking of the Intel Core i7 930 with the Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, or the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with the Asus Crosshair IV Formula. I understand the ram that I have is dual channel but i read it won't make much difference on the i7 board.

So what do you guys think? Intel? or AMD?

If you are spending this much on mobo Intel.

Amd is only worth it if you go with 1055T with budget $60-$100 mobo imho.

I'd say Intel. I have a Corei7 930 from a pretty good batch, and it's prime95 stable at 4.2ghz [200x21] and the temps on load are amazing. low 80s. The Corei7 at that frequency is good enough for anything and everything, it will get the job done.

So let's see here:

1. Gonna be playing a lot of games
2. Want best performance all around
3. Going to overclock (more than just a mild one, I'm assuming)

Intel it is. The new hexcores are only better at price/performance ratio and applications that can take advantage of all 6 cores when compared to the i7 930 and that only really makes sense with the 1055T as Michaelius pointed out. All of them will OC fine though.

*Though I don't know why this is in the motherboard forum.

I know you guys have probably seen alot of these threads, but i'm still curious to see what you guys (or girls) think.

I currently have a kit of Mushkin Redline 996805's right now and I plan on overclocking whatever processor I get. I mainly play games, but I just want the best performance all around. I'm currently thinking of the Intel Core i7 930 with the Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, or the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with the Asus Crosshair IV Formula. I understand the ram that I have is dual channel but i read it won't make much difference on the i7 board.

So what do you guys think? Intel? or AMD?

if you mainly play games and such the extra 2 cores isn't going to make a difference. the extra performance per core will. the 1090T is only going to pull ahead in highly multi threaded apps and the games that do this are few and far in between.

if you mainly play games and such the extra 2 cores isn't going to make a difference. the extra performance per core will. the 1090T is only going to pull ahead in highly multi threaded apps and the games that do this are few and far in between.

Good point.. very good point. How easy do you think it would it be to get 4.0GHz+ with the board i've specified, and a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler? Also, do you think it's a good board, or should I go with a Rampage or something? For graphics cards I only have 2 5770's that i'd want to CF, I don't think I'd need a third.. and a PCI SoundBlaster Xtreme Music that'd i'd like to try and fit on the mobo.

Back