Intel 865PE LGA775 Boards.

Rudyman

n00b
Anyone have a 865PE LGA 775 supported board? Looking at the Abit and the ASUS. The ASUS apears not to have raid on the controller.

Also what is the difference between the normal abit boards and the 3Rd Eye boards?

865pe chipset Socket-T boards just use the old chipset so you can use AGP and DDR. Waste of money IMO.

Actually what is a waste of money is buying a motherboard for this new CPU type that requires a new style Motherboard and $500.00 + new style video card that is not any faster then AGP spec'ed ones. Oh yea, don't forget the new RAM which at current speeds is actaully slower...

This should have been the technological step between the 915/925 series boards untill Intel gets above 4GHZ in processor speed.

Now, since neither of you have tried that board, I was looking for information from people who have Thank you very much.

You regret one little detail. Prescotts suck on Intel's 478 chipsets because they were not made for it. The 9xx chipsets, however, are MADE for the prescott, thus weilding better performance.

Rudyman said:
at what cost...

Cost of a normal board. Look at the Gigabyte Duo series if you want to keep your AGP and DDR. It has the GEAR slot which is actually an AGP slot and supports DDR as well as DDR2. Not to mention it's based off the 915p chipset.

hmmm, Gigabyte site does not seem to have board listed with 915 chipset and AGP interface....

Might be old data.

Rudyman said:
Anyone have a 865PE LGA 775 supported board? Looking at the Abit and the ASUS. The ASUS apears not to have raid on the controller.
Also what is the difference between the normal abit boards and the 3Rd Eye boards?

I looked forever for a good 865PE LGA board and finally found it in the form of a Soltek. Comes with the standard 2x sata 2x ata (4 drives) on the ICH5 bridge and adds a promise raid controller for 2x sata and 1x ata 133 (2 drives). I almost settled for the Abit AS8 board but im really happy with the soltek (it was unavailable for a long time because soltek's main US supplier dropped out and was recently replaced). As for the good part im currently running a 3.0ghz @ 3.75ghz with a 250mhz fsb and DDR500 ram on Air cooling. I can even go higher but I don't plan on it until I can get better cooling on the chipset (one of the negatives is the crappy heatsink it comes with). Also, 3rd eye just means the board comes with/supports the uGuru Clock, an external monitoring LCD for overclocking, temp, email, and a few other things i cant remember. It doesn't come with the AS8 board but can be bought for around $30 US. The best place I found for the Soltek board is here. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-062&depa=0

I'm glad to see someone else is looking to go this route...

Seeing as the LGA775 chips are similar in price to the 478's, I think it makes sense to go with an LGA775 and have the off-chance that they'll be compatible with 64-bit or dual core. In my mind, you lose nothing as these boards with 865PE chips are overclocking fairly similar to the Northwoods...

Unfortuantely, I'm not finding many people who have any of these boards

so_cal_forever said:
You regret one little detail. Prescotts suck on Intel's 478 chipsets because they were not made for it. The 9xx chipsets, however, are MADE for the prescott, thus weilding better performance.

They are made for the voltage specs and upcomming 64 bit Prescotts. However the LGA776 boards don't actually perform any better than existing socket 478 platforms based on the i875P or i865PE chipsets.

my bro has the AS8, and a proc he won from CPL

he went from a [email protected] northwood/abit IS7 to the stock 3.0 socket775/AS8 , not that much different

imo: so good so far, its only been 2 days

so_cal_forever said:
It's the same performance, they're even faster on the 8xx boards because of the RAM. Go inform yourself before you post something.

Dillusion, it has been a couple of days now. How do you like your DFI board? I ask becasuse I am a big fan of Abit. Had 2 myself and have had great luck with them. But I also like Asus.

gpfreek said:
So ya'll are sayin hold off on the LGA775 boards?

No, just the ones with DDR2 and pci-e(actually the latter is a good choice now that you can find the x700Pro @ newegg)

bountyhunter, why wait? Other than the obvious "price's will drop"? I ask because I am wanting to build a new system soon.

bountyhunter said:
No, just the ones with DDR2 and pci-e(actually the latter is a good choice now that you can find the x700Pro @ newegg)

fedex guy gets here on monday with a nice big box for me :) ill let you know then. ive had abit/dfi baords before, tons of em. generally its all the same shit, but i like dfi's layouts and features, but abit has much better overclocking utilities and software.

bountyhunter said:
says so in the gigabyte manual.

AGP card on teh PCI bus would suck incredibly, no matter which way you slice it

my friend has that gigabyte duo board with DDR/AGP 6800NU instead of a PCI-E/DDR2 and he can run all the games i can, i dont tihnk its on the PCI bus, i think its a channel on the PCI-E bus because theres no way he can play D3 on 1280 with everything on high and get the same fps as me...or play painkiller on full, or play rome total waron full, etc.

FYI for everyone who was following this post.

I have just installed and run for the last 24 hours the Abit As8 board with the Intel 550 processor and 1024MB's of Corsair Value select dual channel ram.

Everything is working great. Board is great, fitted into case fine. Drive disks were good.

Everything other then may Vantec 420 Power supply is great (It made that god aweful poping sound on the first power up ) :)

Got a cheap 350 in untill I can replace it.

Back