• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel 820qm ES results

drclaw09

n00b
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
13
I bought a intel 820 qm engineering sample off ebay. I know many people have has avoid them, but no one has actually given or shown a real reason. Well for 1/2 the price the sucker runs like a champ. Screen shot below. The chip showed up brand new and visually had never been used, the die was perfect mirror finish.

Anyways, works great 1/2 the price, if your on a budget it's not as much of a risk as some may lead you to believe.It's in an MSI 1656 barebones laptop.

And WOW my signature is old!!



i7820qmestest.jpg
 
Here's some reasons why to avoid ES processors.

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/320767.pdf

Go to the Errata section. It lists a hundred plus issues with the Intel Core i mobile processors. Hardware is a lot like software. With each new generation of CPU, you hope that more problems are fixed than created.

Buying an ES processor is a risk. You have no idea if its bugs will be a problem for the software you run today or 6 months from now or if it will run exactly the same for you as a retail CPU. I'm glad to hear you got lucky. Your new laptop looks like it is running great.

Here's the latest version of RealTemp.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

It should be OK but let me know if you have any issues. The GPU panel is a little fancier. If you have any problems try using the RealTemp.ini key GPU=1 for Nvidia GPUs and GPU=2 for ATI GPUs.

Another program I wrote recently is called ThrottleStop. It's designed more for laptops and some of the issues that they have. It combines the monitoring that i7 Turbo does with a few other goodies. :)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/ThrottleStop.zip

Edit: Good news! Your CPU has the same CPUID (0x106E5) and B1 stepping as the retail CPUs so it is likely almost exactly the same. Early ES processors will have a lower CPUID and more possible issues.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the links to the updated software.

Getting a QS or ES processor is definitely a risk, I just wanted to share my experience because when I was looking around for information when I purchased it the only opinions were from people who didn't actually own one.

Lotta luck in any processor, how much you can overclock, how long it will run, how much voltage it can take etc. I suppose getting a QS just ups that risk factor a bit.

Can't beat $250 shipped...:eek:

Cheers

Jason
 
I'm sorry for asking such a question, but what utility are you using on the right side of screenshot for frequency monitoring? Thank you!
 
Yup that's the gadget. Works pretty weel to see how much tuuuurrrbboo you are getting.
 
Back
Top