Intel 8 Core

ComputerGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Does anyone know when the Intel 8 Core will be coming out? I know amd isn't giving them much competition. Also, will I be able to do a 2P system with them? I know there's not much info out. Just wondering if anyone has found more info than me.

Thanks!
 
8-core LGA2011 CPUs are slated for release in Q1 2012. They will be 2P-capable. They will also be very expensive.
 
8c, 2p:
xeon [2687w, 2690, 2680, 2670, 2665, 2660, 2650, 2650L]

edit: guess i opened my big mouth too soon. Looks like those are released yet. Still, there's the older 8c 2p xeon chips.
edit2: those aren't* released yet.
 
Last edited:
OK I was looking for a non xeon series, I thought that they were making a consumer chip like the i7-2600k that was a lot less was that scraped because there was no competition? I did not know if only the xeons were multi Processor or if consumer chips could be multi Processor systems also.
 
There will be no consumer 8 P dual processor systems for many years. Code today mostly uses less than 4 threads so the market for desktop systems with 32 threads would be very small..

was that scraped because there was no competition?

Right now SB-E 8 core 16 threaded chips are 150W parts. Intel seems to have set a limit of 130W on the desktop enthusiast platform at the moment so until they can get their chips under this limit I do not expect to see any. Wait for ivy-bridge-E. They should be able to get 8 core / 16 threads at less than 130W and still clock the chip over 3GHz.

if consumer chips could be multi Processor systems also.

For a long while multiprocessor on Intel means xeon. Just like multiprocessor on AMD means Opteron.
 
Last edited:
I did not know if only the xeons were multi Processor or if consumer chips could be multi Processor systems also.
8 cores, 2 processors? Xeon all the way. It doesn't look like Intel will be making consumer i7 with 8 cores until 2013. And, as far as I remember, Pentium 3 were the last non-Xeon CPUs that could be used in dual socket systems. The new Xeons don't even use the same socket - probably because people used to buy Xeon CPUs for their consumer LGA 775 boards for cheap.
 
The new Xeons don't even use the same socket
1366 and 1155 used the same sockets for xeon and desktop. I thought lga2011 would continue that. I believe the EX chips do not use the desktop sockets however. And server processors have server chipsets.
 
1366 and 1155 used the same sockets for xeon and desktop. I thought lga2011 would continue that. I believe the EX chips do not use the desktop sockets however. And server processors have server chipsets.
LGA1155 and 2011 do continue that. However, as usual, consumer CPUs can't be used in MP configurations (and in the case of the LGA1155 Xeons, they are workstation CPUs that also don't support MP).
 
Maybe 16nm will lead to Intel consumer 8 core cpu's.

I would expect to see 22nm 8 core / 16 threaded desktop cpus in the enthusiast platform but probably 16nm on the mainstream. Although if AMD would be able to compete with Intel's enthusiast platform this would come sooner.
 
I think well get to a point where well have 128 core CPU's in a cube with 10's of billions of single digit or decimal digit nm transistors etc....

Cores are where it counts now. And software written to take advantage of cores. The days of frequency based power is over.

I would doubt if Intel released an 8 core in the next few years for mainstream. 6 core will be the main and 8 will be the enthusiast more than likely.
 
Cores are where it counts now. And software written to take advantage of cores. The days of frequency based power is over.
Not everything can be written to run on multiple cores. Frequency and IPC improvements will never cease to be design goals for new CPUs.
 
Look how many games can take advantage of more than 4 threads? In the end except for things like video editing the value behind high core processors has stalled for the time being. Writing multi-threaded software that can take advantage of a large amount of cores is extremely hard. Unless something changes don't count on seeing the value in more cores any time soon.
 
Look how many games can take advantage of more than 4 threads? In the end except for things like video editing the value behind high core processors has stalled for the time being. Writing multi-threaded software that can take advantage of a large amount of cores is extremely hard. Unless something changes don't count on seeing the value in more cores any time soon.

Until there's a way to passively thread it in an optimal manner it's going to remain difficult and slow-moving. Currently there really isn't something that's capable of doing that. I did read an article on Scientific American while on the throne a few months ago about something being developed that can do that but I can't find the article. Clearly we're not there yet. Also keep in mind that some things can't be highly threaded or even multi-threaded at all, so something like that would only go so far.
 
Look how many games can take advantage of more than 4 threads? In the end except for things like video editing the value behind high core processors has stalled for the time being. Writing multi-threaded software that can take advantage of a large amount of cores is extremely hard. Unless something changes don't count on seeing the value in more cores any time soon.

Well I am mostly interested in Video Editing so...That's mainly why I am asking.

OK so from what I gather,

The only chips that will be for multiprocessor systems will be Xeons

8-core Xeons are available now however, they start at ~1000

SB-E are available now but only go up to six core.

IB-E will be released Q4 of this year.

There won't be a consumer grade 8 core until 2013 possibly mid 2013?


Questions ???

Will IvyB-E have 8 core chips?

Will IvyB-E cost the same as the current Xeons?

What is the lowest price that a 2p 8core Xeon system can be made for?

What is the Best Processor for Video editing that is currently available?

I know some of the questions I am asking do not currently have answers like pricing, so just give me your opinion.

Thanks!
 
There will be 8-core Sandy Bridge-E chips for 2011 platform, so you'd naturally expect that Ivy Bridge-E 8-core chips would follow.

They'll cost a lot. Intel doesn't like lowering prices when they don't have competition and currently their only competition at the high end is themselves and since their last-gen chips stay relatively expensive, don't expect any drastic price decreases on their current SB-E chips at all.

dunno, go check :p

Currently available? For what platform? How much? Not sure why you'd opt to go with a server platform, but the current SB-E 6-core 12-thread chips start at ~$600.

Is a 2600K not enough? It's hard to justify paying such high prices for the SB-E or even IB-E chips, especially considering that C2 stepping is yet to be seen and the X79 chipset has been pretty weak.

Why are you asking? We won't be seeing IB-E chips for until late this year I'd guess.
 
Look how many games can take advantage of more than 4 threads? In the end except for things like video editing the value behind high core processors has stalled for the time being. Writing multi-threaded software that can take advantage of a large amount of cores is extremely hard. Unless something changes don't count on seeing the value in more cores any time soon.

The reason why there are little to no games that take advantage of more cores is because they're built around console limitations. The reason why little to no software is multi-threaded is because most software can and does run just fine on one thread.

Writing multi-threaded software isn't hard, it was hard in the beginning when no one knew how to do it well, but now there are entire generations of programmers coming out of school that have learned it that way from the ground up.

It's not so much the fact that there is no value in more cores, it's that there is no value in more processing power. A good 95% of computer users only do things on their computers that a quad or even a dual core can rip through without breaking a sweat. People no longer need to buy new computers because what they have can easily run office, browsers, etc. The focus will now be on performance/watt, which is why you see windows supporting ARM in 8.

There will ALWAYS be value in more power to power users. Whatever form that comes in, it doesn't matter. It will be more cores, then maybe clock speed again after the paradigm shift to a carbon based material that can handle higher frequencies.
 
Would you guys rather play BF3 or Rage?

There's your answer.

With the sheer performance of today's dual and quad cores processors alongside powerful GPUs, either game will run at perfectly acceptable framerates. There's no real need for anything more hardware-wise than that which I just stated for 99% of people that play those two games.
 
The SMP capable processors are only XEON and Opteron. This is so that the vendors can push their respective markets accordingly and keep that segment fully profitable.
 
There will be 8-core Sandy Bridge-E chips for 2011 platform, so you'd naturally expect that Ivy Bridge-E 8-core chips would follow.

Currently available? For what platform? How much? Not sure why you'd opt to go with a server platform, but the current SB-E 6-core 12-thread chips start at ~$600.

Is a 2600K not enough? It's hard to justify paying such high prices for the SB-E or even IB-E chips, especially considering that C2 stepping is yet to be seen and the X79 chipset has been pretty weak.

Why are you asking? We won't be seeing IB-E chips for until late this year I'd guess.

Will SB-E chips be Xeons? Will the IVB-E also be Xeons?

My current system is a 4p Quad Opteron system however I am looking to upgrade becuse I am finding the ddr2 ram a bottleneck. And I find that Intel is better supported in the Video editing world. I hope to edit 4k video soon so I want to make sure it's up to the task.

Could someone post a list or give me a link to a list of SB-E Processors.

There won't be a consumer grade 8 core until 2013 possibly mid 2013 is that correct??

What is the Best Processor for Video editing that is currently available?


Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I thought SB-E processors were allready out? However, it seems like the i7-3960X is SB-e am I wrong? Will there be two SB-e Processors? Also, can I do a 2p setup with the i7-3960X Since its and Enthusiast Proc?
 
I thought SB-E processors were allready out?

I do not believe the xeon versions are available yet.


However, it seems like the i7-3960X is SB-e am I wrong?

Yes. This is an enthusiast SB-E 1 P chip.


Also, can I do a 2p setup with the i7-3960X Since its and Enthusiast Proc?

No. You will need xeon versions.

If you do not want to wait a few months for this. I recommend you looking into lga1366 xeons that are 2P capable. You can get 2 x 6 core / 12 threaded chips on a dual processor lga1366 board.
 
OK Thanks for those answers. So the consumer level Procs of the SB-E where relesed, just not the Xeons, Right?

There will be 8-core Sandy Bridge-E chips for 2011 platform, so you'd naturally expect that Ivy Bridge-E 8-core chips would follow.
.

Can Anyone confirm this? What will the SB-E chip be called? Will it be a Xeon?

Could someone post a list or give me a link to a list of SB-E Processors.

There won't be a consumer grade 8 core until 2013 possibly mid 2013 is that correct??
 
Last edited:
Sandy Bridge E is an architecture. There will be BOTH Xeon and Consumer (i7) chips released that are SB-E.

They are almost exactly the same except the consumer ones are locked out of multi processor use, and the Xeon ones (which do support multi-proc) are MUCH more expensive.

If you have the cash wait until you can get a dual Xeon SB-E setup, 2x8cores, will romp through video.
 
Sandy Bridge E is an architecture. There will be BOTH Xeon and Consumer (i7) chips released that are SB-E.

They are almost exactly the same except the consumer ones are locked out of multi processor use, and the Xeon ones (which do support multi-proc) are MUCH more expensive.

If you have the cash wait until you can get a dual Xeon SB-E setup, 2x8cores, will romp through video.

Also the I7 chips have cache and CPU's lasered off to conserve power.
 
More info about dual socket 2011 xeons
http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=98291
Lists the diff xeons and specs along with some mother boards coming out.

Well this is tentative pricing for the dual socket 2011 cpus
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011102701_Prices_of_Xeon_E5-2600-series_CPUs.html

8 cores are pretty expensive.

No word on exactly when they come out but I'm hearing Q1 2012 but delays happen.

I'm looking at building a dual socket 2011 cpu system to replace the rig in my sig for video editing and gaming. I was looking at EVGA SRX + 2x e5-2609s and overclock them to 3 ghz+ hopefully 4 ghz and upgrade to more cores down the road when their cheaper. I heard rumors that they might not overclock much in that case I might have to get e5-2643s.
 
More info about dual socket 2011 xeons
http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=98291
Lists the diff xeons and specs along with some mother boards coming out.

Well this is tentative pricing for the dual socket 2011 cpus
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011102701_Prices_of_Xeon_E5-2600-series_CPUs.html

8 cores are pretty expensive.

No word on exactly when they come out but I'm hearing Q1 2012 but delays happen.

I'm looking at building a dual socket 2011 cpu system to replace the rig in my sig for video editing and gaming. I was looking at EVGA SRX + 2x e5-2609s and overclock them to 3 ghz+ hopefully 4 ghz and upgrade to more cores down the road when their cheaper. I heard rumors that they might not overclock much in that case I might have to get e5-2643s.

Why chose 2011 over a dual 1366 board like this, other than upgrade paths? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131652

In Video do you think it's more beneficial to have more cores, or more processors, or is it the same. And is it more beneficial to have a higher clock speed, and less cores, or the opposite?



Looking for a few more votes on what to do here. So for Video Editing which of these options would be most beneficial? And Why?

Single i7-3960X

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131652 with Two Xeon Proc's http://ark.intel.com/products/series/39565

Or a single of the new 8 core Xeon's http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/TYPE-Xeon E5-2600.html# with the possibly of adding another later. Consider it with only one Proc for now though.
 
And is it more beneficial to have a higher clock speed, and less cores, or the opposite?

It depends on the specific application you are running. All my games run faster on a higher clocked duel, but then on the flip side winrar and video encoding is faster on the lower clocked quad. Like most things it's a tradeoff and I don't like running super hot CPUs that incorporate both attributes.
 
Back
Top