Intel 750-series 2.5" SSD not just limited to the Asus M8I anymore…!

Boil

[H]ard|Gawd
Intel bridges the U.2 gap with an M.2 cable for its 750 Series SSD

ssdu2.jpg

This is perfect for a few of the chassis in this forum; I am looking at the MI-6 & the A4-SFX…

Both have the M.2 stuffed up in the attic of the chassis, sandwiched between the MB, the MB tray & the GPU mere millimeters away from the MB tray heating things up… Not to mention the PCIe riser cable draped directly overhead, restricting airflow…

The M.2 > U.2 adapters will not work with the vast majority of SFF builds using mITX boards, as the M.2 slots are on the backside of the MB and the adapter is too tall for that space…

Now, by choosing a different cable, blazing fast non-thermal throttled NVMe speeds, with a wider selection of MBs…!

Are you referring to the Z87 Impact when you say MI-6? There's no point in buying such a fast SSD with that mobo.

Well, you could connect the 750 to any M.2 board for a long time now, many companies I think this is the cheapest (they are all completely passive so there is no quality issue I believe) http://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-U2-131-SFF-8643-connector-PCIe-NVMe/dp/B01D2PXUQA?ie=UTF8&keywords=u.2 cable&qid=1465433657&ref_=sr_1_19&s=pc&sr=1-19 and then the cable is harder to find, more expensive but it is certainly on sale: Amazon.com: Funtin U.2 (SFF-8639) to Mini-SAS (SFF-8643) Cabling for 2.5" NVMe SSD: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, you could connect the 750 to any M.2 board for a long time now, many companies I think this is the cheapest (they are all completely passive so there is no quality issue I believe) http://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-U2-131-SFF-8643-connector-PCIe-NVMe/dp/B01D2PXUQA?ie=UTF8&keywords=u.2 cable&qid=1465433657&ref_=sr_1_19&s=pc&sr=1-19 and then the cable is harder to find, more expensive but it is certainly on sale: Amazon.com: Funtin U.2 (SFF-8639) to Mini-SAS (SFF-8643) Cabling for 2.5" NVMe SSD: Computers & Accessories

That type of adapter cannot be used on MBs with backside-mounted M.2 slots that are residing in chassis like the A4-SFX or the MI-6… Not enough clearance…

The new cable that Intel is providing hardwires the cable to the M.2 'adapter', thereby making it slimmer, so it should fit behind the MB in 'back-to-back' chassis just fine…

This will also be great for folks with larger MBs; mATX & such that have their M.2 slots between the PCIe slots… When you load a couple of GPUs into said slots, there is no room for an M.2 > U.2 adapter, but there should be room for this cable end… Dual M.2 slots onboard…? RAIDed 750s…!

Last edited:
Well then you probably haven't seen PE4C V4.1 (PCIe x16 Adapter) this one either. This breaks out the M.2 slot into a PCIe mechanical x16 electronically x4 alas only 2.0 and not 3.0 (consider, however, that even the 1.2TB Intel 750 tops out 2400 MB/s in theory and the x4 2.0 is 2000MB/s -- it won't be a limit in real life). Since you want to use it internally and don't need a lot of power, 4Pin IDE Male to DC 5.5mm x 2.5mm Male Converter Adapter Power Supply Cable 12V this power converter will do.

It gives you quite a lot of options, I think. U.2 is just one of them Amazon.com: JZLL U.2 PCIe (SFF-8639) to PCI-E X4 3.0 Adapter U.2 NVMe SSD PCIe Card Intel 750 p3700: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, quit busting my chops dude…

That first one I would not use, the total would be greater (in volume) that just using the new Intel cable & 2.5" drive… That adapter & extra cabling & PCIe card is more bulk…

The second is really neat looking, but if I am going to mount a 2.5" NVMe SSD to that to stick it into a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, why not just go with the actual Intel 750-series PCIe add-in cardin the first place…? Also, for the second I would need to either not have discrete graphics, or go bifurcation on the PCIe slot, or go mATX minimum… All of the chassis I have referenced towards this new Intel cable have been decidedly mITX chassis…

Also, for the second I would need to either not have discrete graphics, or go bifurcation on the PCIe slot, or go mATX minimum… All of the chassis I have referenced towards this new Intel cable have been decidedly mITX chassis…

What I showed you is a converter from M.2 to PCIe. No need for bifurcation. Your M.2 slot already has 4 PCIe lanes just need a simple converter to expose them in a PCIe slot format.

Okay, quit busting my chops dude…

That first one I would not use, the total would be greater (in volume) that just using the new Intel cable & 2.5" drive… That adapter & extra cabling & PCIe card is more bulk…

The second is really neat looking, but if I am going to mount a 2.5" NVMe SSD to that to stick it into a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, why not just go with the actual Intel 750-series PCIe add-in cardin the first place…? Also, for the second I would need to either not have discrete graphics, or go bifurcation on the PCIe slot, or go mATX minimum… All of the chassis I have referenced towards this new Intel cable have been decidedly mITX chassis…

What I showed you is a converter from M.2 to PCIe. No need for bifurcation. Your M.2 slot already has 4 PCIe lanes just need a simple converter to expose them in a PCIe slot format.

What I mentioned in relation to PCIe bifurcation was the second one, not the first… The first is the M.2 adapter, the second is a solution for a non-existing problem… As I stated above, if you have an open PCIe x4 slot for the adapter card, why buy the 2.5" SSD & not the PCIe add-in card version instead…?!?

Back