• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel 750 POS x2 drives

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
9,778
I am beyond frustrated and tomorrow upon my second 35 mile drive to Microcenter in Atlanta they are going to be pissed too.

I have tried two Intel 750 SSD cards now and they both failed. First one lasted about 4 days. It just stopped posting as an available boot drive. Second one failed 10 mins after installation.

I have a Rampage IV and 3930K processor. All my PCIe slots are good because I have quite a few different cards and they all work fine in all the slots. But no, not this POS intel card.

RIght now I know the PCIe slot is not bad, I installed my old Adaptec 5405 and Seagate Cheetah 15k SAS drive as a temporary OS drive and at least for a spinner they are damn fast compared to 7200. The Adaptec card is working fine as it is low level formatting this cheetah that I have no idea what data is on it right now.

Here is my question... should I get a 3rd card and hope that it actually works?

When the first card was working it was absolutely mind blowing fast. Faster than any enterprise product I have ever used. I really want to have these extremely fast cards. I may get a Samsung 950 and PCIe adaptor card off Amazon.

In the meantime is there some sensitive voltage or something special about these damn intel cards that would make 2 of them go bad back to back? Maybe my AX1200 power supply is bad but it isnt blowing up any other cards in my system regardless of slot.

Any thoughts? Get a new 3rd one or abandon Intel with these cards? Could microcenter have gotten a bad batch of these cards in, like they were mass manufactured to be bad?
 
I think you need to actually test your PSU. Microcenter has a little $10 gadget that'll read the voltages off your mainboard connector. You might also consider a Samsung 950 in a PCIe NVMe adapter in place of the Intel.
 
I think you need to actually test your PSU. Microcenter has a little $10 gadget that'll read the voltages off your mainboard connector. You might also consider a Samsung 950 in a PCIe NVMe adapter in place of the Intel.

Yeah I think you are right. But all of my other cards are just fine and dandy that is the confusing part. Maybe they are just built to have more tolerance or something. Anyways do you think there will be any noticeable difference between the Samsung and the Intel card?
 
You'll notice a difference if your system is a web server for Google. Otherwise, no, you shouldn't.
 
Back
Top