Intel 720 480 and 240GB SSDs

caw2007

[H]ard|Gawd
Damn fine price on these. 240GB is now $119 on NE. Added Microcenter link for the 240 since it's still $109 there, but after tax it evens out. Local pickup though..

240GB @ NE $119:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-20-167-190-_-11212014_1

480GB @ NE $199 (add to cart if price isn't showing right):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167192

240GB @ MC $109 + tax:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/431244/730_Series_240GB_SATA_60GB-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive

Last edited:
OMG. That 480GB is so tempting....

ugh. Bought. 200 is just too good to pass.

ROFLs, when the OP said "lid" I thought it was the top of the SSD with the skull... Didn't realize it comes with a free HAT. :cool:

you guys thinks they will better deals on a 480 SSD next week or just buy this right meow?

I did too, coincidentally just had a Samsung 830 give up on me, so I pulled the trigger.

Eeek, can I ask how long you had the 830 and the method of death? (hate being off topic but this is a fear of mine considering the 830's were my first ssd's in the box.)

Still rocking two and have zero complaints but I would like the warning signs.

I'm in the market for a larger SSD, I own the Intel X25-M 120GB SSD, is this worth the premium over larger and cheaper SSDs?

I'm in the market for a larger SSD, I own the Intel X25-M 120GB SSD, is this worth the premium over larger and cheaper SSDs?

I would say no, unless performance consistency and write endurance aren't mission critical.

Of course it's a better deal than most SSDs that aren't on a special sale.

Intel 730.

Aluminum enclosure with skull art work. The hat even looks kick ass.

Last edited:
The MX 100 512 was 168 after the wallet checkout which seemed like a better deal. But that one went oos in 30 minutes. This is also a decent deal but I feel like there will be cheaper. It would have been better if that wallet checkout worked and this was 15 dollars cheaper or you could switch promos.

I just spent $400 on xmas presents for my nephew & brother-in-law ( all xbox/tablet stuff ). If not, I'd be so in for 1 of the 480's.

I couldn't pass up 2 of the 480s for mysql and or maybe 1 mysql 1 for my os / log files, not sure yet.

These are just what I needed while waiting for the 3600 PCIe drives to drop in price.

Now to unload some other barely used intels and samsungs! LOL

I see people recommending the MX 100 over this, due to this bench, any thoughts?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1222?vs=1141

The difference between Intel 730 and the mx is that one is an enterprise grade SSD with a excellent 5 year warranty and the other is a consumer shit grade SSD with a 3 year warranty.

It depends on the consumer. If your plan is to put this in your PC and use it for general stuff and games then you would probably do better with another drive. However, if you plan on putting this bitch in your ESXI host with a hardware RAID card then you won't do better then this especially at this price.

I just bought a crucial m550 512gb like 48 hrs ago. How does this intel compare?

intel has typically offered a decent mail in rebate deal for BF any word on that?

Okay so the hat promo is now gone so you can get 15 dollars off with google wallet checkout on android app

oh geez... this is a smokin deal.. Maybe it's time to rebuild the daily rig with all these deals.. :eek:

In for one for my father-in-law's MacBook Pro. One more name checked off on my holiday shopping list...

Thanks for the notification!

In for a 480GB - root hdd on my server is in the process of dying. This will be a great upgrade.

Uh, what? It's a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

It runs extremely hot and is very high in power consumption. One review commented that it draws power from the 12V rail like a 3.5" drive. It's got zero low power states.

As I mentioned in the first page, the SSD 730 doesn't support any low-power states and hence idle power consumption comes in quite high at 1.34W. For a desktop this isn't an issue but it's clear that the SSD 730 isn't suitable for mobile use. Load power consumption isn't as terrible, but it's still relatively high.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7803/intel-ssd-730-480gb-review/7

So tempting for that Intel reliability. I've bought allot of Intel SSDs and yet to see one fail. The first X25, trim not supported, is still running like it's brand new.

Ya, I'm excited to put these into use and not fear that in 6mo the writes will have taken over :D

Eeek, can I ask how long you had the 830 and the method of death? (hate being off topic but this is a fear of mine considering the 830's were my first ssd's in the box.)

Still rocking two and have zero complaints but I would like the warning signs.

Honestly, I haven't had any problems for about 3 years and was convinced it was my motherboard or RAM giving up. Basically I just started getting BSOD;s but they would happen when the system was doing consistent r/w, even after a clean reinstall. As soon as I did a clean install on my Sandisk Extreme II all the issues went away. It will pass any SSD bench with no errors, which is why I ruled it out initially.

Yikes I bought one.

Hopefully I spend a ruined weekend trying to see if this works with Vista on a P5Q-E from 2008, and then give up and get another $500 of upgrades

Clarification, this is the 730 drive. This has a few enterprise class features that are super useful.

Yikes I bought one.

Hopefully I spend a ruined weekend trying to see if this works with Vista on a P5Q-E from 2008, and then give up and get another $500 of upgrades

Get a cheap copy of Windows 7 or get in on the Windows 9 preview build for free

Darn, I had to get one! I will replace one of the 240GB SSD in my esxi server. Thanks!

Get a cheap copy of Windows 7 or get in on the Windows 9 preview build for free

Thanks I'll look into it. I want to play Wolfenstein NO and cant do it on Vista anyway. My E8600 has still been good to me though. Time to go to Microcenter I guess.

Back