intel + 3com 10/100 nics... OHH MY

pwrusr

2[H]4U
thought some of you might enjoy hese older nics:

IMG_20120408_123037.jpg

I wonder if they are worth keeping or not since i have a box full of 'em. (anyone need nics for a pfsence box? :p)

thought some of you might enjoy hese older nics:

I wonder if they are worth keeping or not since i have a box full of 'em. (anyone need nics for a pfsence box? :p)

Old skool lol

Last edited:
i still have all of my pci 3com 10/100 ethernet cards, never know when i might need them...

... well... i'll probably never use them, but still.

Those PCI intel nics are awesome.

They perform great (for 10/100) and are supported out of the box on just about everything.

I have a few lying around still.

I ran that compaq/intel one in my old pfsense box. You can plug a fibre card into it as well.

I love the Intel 10/100 NICs. Almost every version of Windows has the drivers. Makes for a quick install when a client's computer got zapped by lightning and onboard NIC is cooked.

What's really funny is that I just setup that exact same dual-port Intel NIC into my pfsense box.

They are useful, in fact very useful, in a corporate environment. You see 95% of large enterprise sized businesses DO NOT Need the bandwidth of gigabit still to this day. That is why I still recommend most access switches, as long as there isn't huge data transfers required such as system images etc..., to all be 2960 (non G) type switches that are only 10/100 with Gig Uplink/trunk ports.

What's really funny is that I just setup that exact same dual-port Intel NIC into my pfsense box.

And to Red Falcon, yes those cards are perfect for firewalls. Unless your ISP subscription can deliver more than 100m then it is an absolute waste to have gig cards in your server. However given the price of gig cards there is absolutely no reason NOT to get a gig card in any machine now days. I am simply stating that the cards are still truly useful even today.

I can't see exactly what kind they are, but my Untangle box uses 3C905-TX's and it's quite happy pulling near 40mb/s. :)

I got a similar dual intel 10/100 nic in my Smoothwall box .. and i still have some old 10/100 intel single nics .. as stated .. very reliable and no hassle on installs in linux or windows

I bought a box of Intel Pro/100S, 40 of them, brand new in OEM packaging at a computer show in New Hampshire a few years ago. That was a great score. I split the box with a friend since I thought I didn't need that many spare NICs. I wish I hadn't split the box. I ended up using most of the NICs in various servers, client computers, and other stuff within a couple of years. :(

No ISA cards?
Before I start calling something old school I require dip switches to select my IRQ :D

If I had a dollar for every one of those cards that have passed through my hands....I'd be owning some really hot hobby cars in my garage.

I tossed (gave away) about 30 10/100 NIC's. I don't use them at home anymore and they were just taking up space. I've moved on to Gb and never looked back. I have a Dell Gb switch uplinked to a Cisco 2960G PoE switch via dual Gb fiber (overkill for home, but fun as Disneyland!).

I have a few left, as well as some 10 Mb cards. Only reason I'd use them is for a firewall. No where else in my network would I allow such petty speeds. :D

Back