intel 26xx series cpu understanding ram

rhys24

n00b
Hi all.

have 2 x 2695v2 chips and trying to understand how the Ram works.

currently have 2 x 16gb chips in each. 1 plugged into each cpu.

Now when I go into windows I see it says I have 32gb of ram installed.

What im trying to work out is if I have a single cpu machine with 32 gb of ram installed and an applicated like 3ds max requires 30gb to render the scene.

Moving this to the dual machine with 32gb installed does windows still treat it the same?

Is the ram shared? Or will I get a bottleneck as each cpu requires more?

thanks tried to find the answer online but couldn't!

A process running on one CPU can access the other CPU's memory but it adds latency and whatever bandwidth there is between the CPUs. On those chips they also perform best when using 4 sticks each. You would get better performance with 8x4gb than with 2x16gb.

Of course 8x 16GB will work very well too... :) for total 128GB RAM :eek:

^-- You do realize which CPUs he has ;) You don't get 2 of those and only run 16 or 32gb ram a :D :D

Just make sure that if you do go quad dims per cpu - which will give you best performance - all 8 dimms are exactly the same model and are on the motherboards approved memory list

Just make sure that if you do go quad dims per cpu - which will give you best performance - all 8 dimms are exactly the same model and are on the motherboards approved memory list

Not true since each CPU has its own memory controller. All DIMMs within a CPU's banks should be the same though.

Back