Intel 2600k overclocking help plz

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
1,843
I used to be a good oc'er lol. Then I took about 5-6 years off of the hobby and am totally behind the curve with this.

anyway setup as follows:
2600K
Swiftech apogee watercooling setup with dual radiator-decent setup overall
Asrock Z77 Fatality performance motherboard
Mushkin redline 1866- 9-9-9-27 ram modules--4x4 gb sticks
Asus 670 Nvidia graphics card.
Mushkin 120gb SSD for os/boot, Samsung 500gb data drive
Mushkin 800W PSU

So rig runs well at default and mild overclock up to about 4.5-4.6ghz. Only about 1.325v needed for 4.5ghz. Past that things get dicey. I need 1.4v to get 4.8ghz booting and pll is at 1.8527 I think. It's OS stable and most apps, however prime95 causes memory dump blue screen after about 5-10mins. I've tried tweaking the vcore and the pll, but the other's I'm leaving pretty much alone. Speed step is still enabled as I do like it to throttle down when not loaded. Load line level is set at 1(most aggressive I think) and holds very well and actually volts up just slightly under load vs idle.

Just wanting some feedback on what you all think I could try tweaking. More vcore, pll, vtt ????? I think I'm close, as the IMC seems to be the culprit for the stability issue. I may back off later, but I'm a bit stubborn and want to figure out what I can do to try to stabilize this setting. I was hoping for 5ghz on water, but that looks like it's not going to happen, but 4.8ghz isn't too shabby. Hell even 4.5-4.6ghz is a decent upgrade over my older i7 920 @3.6-3.8ghz I was running prior(on same water setup).

BTW the Fatality performance board seems great. Nice bios, and seems very fast. I had to pull the Biostar Z77 x3 as it had the intel reboot loop issue so I have to RMA that one :(.
 
I know this is [H] but do you really need 200 to 300 more Mhz? This may be all your chip can do without running it at crazy voltages.
 
Most of the Asrock boards I've seen, (including mine), seem to run much better and can maintain higher overclocks if you don't have the vcore set on Fixed, instead use Offset in the bios. I'm not sure if this is still true with the Z77 boards, but I know it is with the Z68 boards. I'd head over to overclock.net and check out some of the threads in the Intel Motherboards section, (they have several on Z77 Asrock boards).

4.5-4.7Ghz is about average and isn't terrible for a 2600k, very few of the 2600k Chips will do 4.8Ghz+, even with good cooling. I consider mine a very good chip as it will boot at 5Ghz pretty easily, but I need about 1.45v to do it and I wouldn't run it at that 24/7.
 
You have plenty of vcore ceiling as long as your maintaining a decent temp under 75 under load . I ran alot of sandys up to 1.48 and sold like that to freinds and never since have they even had a glitch

Just saw you setup and that you have all you memory slots filled up , try pushing your vccio to 1.020 , that memory is a heavy strain on your imc and will take higher voltages to push past 4.5 ghz
 
Last edited:
Back
Top