Intel 2600K $315 or $292.50 after coupon and cashback

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Buy.com has the 2600k on sale for $315
http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-core-...core-1-mb-l2-8-mb-l3/q/loc/101/219565205.html

There is also a $10 off $200 coupon for new customers and 4% fatwallet cashback.
http://www.fatwallet.com/coupons-cash-back/Buy/

Newegg hasn't budged from the $330 release price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product

Of course with the chipset recall announced today, I'm not sure if it's worth buying now or waiting a month when the new motherboards come out.

hmmm, wonder if I should return the one I already bought or hold onto it until march

I think 292 is a pretty good price

Retailers are pulling all Sandy Bridge CPUs for now. Looks like March is best case scenario for those looking to upgrade.
seems a bit strange to pull the CPUs when the problem is limited to the chipset

My reaction to this deal....Darn...

My reaction to the Recall...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...........

I have noticed my i7 being LESS stable (at stock) than my x6(overclocked)....little hiccups here and there....Bulldozer can't get here early enough...

wow never heard of any AMD chips being pulled for recall - jk, good thing I'm waiting for socket 2011 to upgrade.

wow never heard of any AMD chips being pulled for recall - jk, good thing I'm waiting for socket 2011 to upgrade.

Phenom I x4 9600 TLB error says "hi"

BTW, my Phenom I x4 9600 is still running strong in my server with no problems...solid chip for $50...Hopefully my SB is at least as reliable with these "small" problems.

My i7 920 is still running great at 4ghz....can't see myself upgrading for a while. Maybe only the GPU after my 460 SLI begin to start slowing down in important games

isn't the chipset on die now though?

No. The bug apparently effects the last 4 SATA ports on the SATA controller which is not on the proc: Source 1 2

This issue does not affect the processor but only affects the supporting chipsets. Intel has implemented a silicon fix to this problem.
Source

Last edited:
No. The bug apparently effects the last 4 SATA ports on the SATA controller which is not on the proc: Source 1 2

Source

Interesting and thanks for your post. I guess I got caught up in the NB integration and thought they did everything on die now, guess not.

Source

I looked through your source links, but I don't see any mention of it being just the last 4 sata ports potentially affected. Where did you hear this?

I looked through your source links, but I don't see any mention of it being just the last 4 sata ports potentially affected. Where did you hear this?

Mentioned by anandtech, techreport and everyone else who attended Intel's conference at 11:43am.

Anand does a good analysis and report:
Analysis:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall
Source:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

The problem in the chipset was traced back to a transistor in the 3Gbps PLL clocking tree. The aforementioned transistor has a very thin gate oxide, which allows you to turn it on with a very low voltage. Unfortunately in this case Intel biased the transistor with too high of a voltage, resulting in higher than expected leakage current. Depending on the physical characteristics of the transistor the leakage current here can increase over time which can ultimately result in this failure on the 3Gbps ports. The fact that the 3Gbps and 6Gbps circuits have their own independent clocking trees is what ensures that this problem is limited to only ports 2 - 5 off the controller.

If you have a desktop system with six SATA ports driven off of P67/H67 chipset, there’s a chance (at least 5%) that during normal use some of the 3Gbps ports will stop working over the course of 3 years. The longer you use the ports, the higher that percentage will be. If you fall into this category, chances are your motherboard manufacturer will set up some sort of an exchange where you get a fixed board. The motherboard manufacturer could simply desolder your 6-series chipset and replace it with a newer stepping if it wanted to be frugal.

If you have a notebook system with only two SATA ports however, the scenario is a little less clear. Notebooks don’t have tons of storage bays and thus they don’t always use all of the ports a chipset offers. If a notebook design only uses ports 0 & 1 off the chipset (the unaffected ports), then the end user would never encounter an issue and the notebook may not even be recalled. In fact, if there are notebook designs currently in the pipeline that only use ports 0 & 1 they may not be delayed by today’s announcement. This is the only source of hope if you’re looking for an unaffected release schedule for your dual-core SNB notebook.

Back