Intel 1000GT not connecting at 1Gb to a netgear switch GS608v2

metropole

Limp Gawd
I use a GS608v2 for my network. I have several wired PC's and laptops. All of them factory 1Gb. I recently upgraded a Dell PC with a Intel 1000GT adapter. The adapter will not detect 1Gb and when forced to 1gb does not connect.
I triple-checked cables. The same Cat6a cable works for an other PC. I also tried a different cable. Same result. I also disabled the firewall on the PC with no better results. Any tips are welcome

P.S. sorry fo the double-post. But I could not find an answer on the netgear forum

I use a GS608v2 for my network. I have several wired PC's and laptops. All of them factory 1Gb. I recently upgraded a Dell PC with a Intel 1000GT adapter. The adapter will not detect 1Gb and when forced to 1gb does not connect.
I triple-checked cables. The same Cat6a cable works for an other PC. I also tried a different cable. Same result. I also disabled the firewall on the PC with no better results. Any tips are welcome

P.S. sorry fo the double-post. But I could not find an answer on the netgear forum

I would assume that you installed the correct drivers right ?

Yes, upgraded to the latest matching ones. Tried different cables, ports. Tried to force it...
I found one reference with google about a similar problem with a different (maybe older netgear switch and the 1000GT)

I'm guessing that the negotiation for speed happens at a low layer; no firewall blocking it?

a firewall wouldnt block link speed negotiation. have you tried other ports on the GS608?

if both the cable and GS608 are known-good, it can only be the adapter (or possibly the adapters software).

I have tried an other port. No sucess.
Looks like I'm going to try with a new adapter.

I have a 50ft shielded Cat5e running @ 1Gb, so Cat6 is by far not required.

What I would do is try moving the link closer and using a shorter patch cable, just to see.

I'm doing 6ft max.

maybe you should try a 1foot One LOL JUST KIDDING

I had a weird problem like this before too, my brand new Thinkpad with the gigabit nic card inside i7 4 gigs ram FAST nice laptop, had a simular issue, it was freaking weird.

I had a giga bit router, plugged my laptop in and it would only connect at 10/100, i changed the cable to the exact same manufacture length COLOR and they were both cat6 one connected at 10/100 the other was a1g bit, swapped them back and it was slow again, was weird, so i tried the same cable that i got 10/100 connection on another computer and it connected at 1g, tried it back with the lenovo laptop and it would only see 10,/100 so well it was a mystery, never solved it, instead i sold the laptop to a friend that never used the port at all and that wanted wireless only anyways.

It was baffling tho....

I've had issues with the smaller netgear switches before, I was using some expressport gigabit adapter for my laptop (Sonnet I think). When attaching to my netgear it would only autonegotiate at 100mbps, if I forced it, I think it worked. Although whenever I plugged it into a different switch, bigger netgear or dell (I don't recall) it would autonegotiate to 1gbps w/ no issue.

This was 3 years ago, so my memory of it is pretty flaky.

Back