Integrated Graphics and Hardware Overlay Performance

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to create PCs as small as possible for my applications. Decent 3D is not required, so losing a graphics card and going for integrated graphics seems like a good idea.

However, my application requires a hardware overlay. The hardware overlay in a card as ancient and low-end as a Radeon X300 will do the trick. It scales 1080p video to any lower resolution without a problem and with no CPU overhead.

I've tried Intel GMA 950 and X3100 and both of these incur a pretty big CPU penalty when the hardware overlay is used. I'd prefer to use Core 2 but I'm open to all ideas - can any one recommend an integrated graphics chipset that has a hardware overlay?

780G based motheboard from AMD would be your best bet i suppose, with a relatively cheap Processor from AMD .

Didn't have any problems playing videos or running Aero with the integrated X1200 graphics on my mobo.

I'm liking the look of the HP Slimline PCs with integrated Geforce 7100... any idea if hardware overlay is implemented here? For what it's worth the 8400GS in my laptop might as well be an integrated chip (in that it's a chip mounted on the motherboard) and that works fine.

Back