integrated audio w/ good quality ?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by userjack, Mar 18, 2004.

1. userjack

userjack n00b

hi there

im looking for a socket A mobo w/ the best possible integrated sound
    (i dont care about cpu load, just the ... the sound :) )

2. BaldHeadedDork

BaldHeadedDork Gawd

Anything with an nForce2 chipset. The intergrated audio nVidia used (forget the name at the moment, I'm a dark-side-of-the-force guy) is as good as an Audigy. CPU loads aren't a problem, either, since the sound processor is wired in as an onboard PCI devise.

BHD

3. SilverMK3

SilverMK3 [H]ard|Gawd

Edit:
    Any nForce2 Chipset with the MCP-T south bridge. Only these boards carry the nVidia SoundStorm certification. Note that you'll only get great sound out of a SoundStorm motherboard if you're using the digital outs to connect to a home theatre receiver or digital speakers. If you just use the regular analog outputs (mini stereo plugs) you'll be using the crappy onboard Realtek codec - which is not as good as most PCI solutions.

4. xonik

xonik [H]ardForum Junkie

I was definitely not satisfied with a SoundStorm/Realtek combo I installed a few months ago. I would tip my hat to the VIA Envy24PT as the best onboard solution. That, or the Analog Devices SoundMAX, which is pretty good as well.

5. zerogt86

zerogt86 Gawd

boards with soundstorm:
    abit nf7-s
    asus a7n8x delux
    chaintech nforce 2 zenith (i think)

uhh, thats all that comes off the top of my head... mayb a DFI board aswell although im not sure... anyway id recomend the NF7-S, ive had alot of luck with it.

6. leukotriene

leukotriene 2[H]4U

The ADI 1980 I heard did not sound good, but CODEC output quality seems very much dependent on implementation.

7. FanZ

FanZ [H]ard|Gawd

most soundmax or soundmax cadenza boards are really nice.. soundstorm equipped boards have shitty analog output, but really nice digital.

8. userjack

userjack n00b

hi again
    tnx for ur quick replyes

i`ve been looking at an abit mobo - it has a via sound part connected to a realtek one, do u know which one does what, which is more important for the noice level and the others characheristics of the sound
    output ?

most mobos ive seen use either c-media or realtek chips - which
    u think r better?

TIA

9. NightRaven

NightRaven [H]ard|Gawd

If you really care at all about the sound quality, I'd get a sound card. Generally, the quality difference between types of onboard audio is just varying degrees of crap.

10. leukotriene

leukotriene 2[H]4U

That sounds like an Envy24 solution connected through a Realtek CODEC but I wasn't aware Abit was doing any such thing.

The implementation of the CODEC is nearly as important as the quality of the CODEC itself, which makes picking a good sounding integrated audio solution essentially impossible by partnumber alone.
    You have to listen to it.

The newest Realtek (658) and C-Media (9761) CODECs should be very high fidelity and they support 96KHz sampling rates, but as soon as you embed the chip on a motherboard you are going to encounter output quality issues unless you are extremely careful about placement.
    Most manufacturers seem to consider CODEC placement a low priority - it's a checkbox feature at best.

11. xonik

xonik [H]ardForum Junkie

That applies to soundcards, too.

Leukotriene, I think you and I are overanalyzing the impact of component placement/selection, because I've found that most people don't even notice these differences because of speaker/headphone selection and undeveloped ear training. It's worth noting, I guess.

12. GodsMadClown

GodsMadClown 2[H]4U

Yeah, well... The more high-fi or mid-fi stuff you listen to, the better your discrimination gets. It's a vicious circle.

13. leukotriene

leukotriene 2[H]4U

It's sad, isn't it? I almost wish I was listening to my stuff on Sony headphones that came free with an early-model walkman.

Actually, even with those you could probably hear the interference that some motherboards exhibit through the CODEC analog-out when the optical drives are being accessed.

14. userjack

userjack n00b

leukotriene
    tnx 4 the info