Integrated Audio VS Sound Card

rcrez

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
209
Is it really possible to hear the difference between integrated audio and a sound card? I'm not talking about features such as surround sound or digital audio. I want to compare the vanilla 2-channel analog output.

The 1st generation ipod shuffle is a pretty simple device and from what I've read, the sound reproduction is about as good as it gets.
 
it is very possible to hear the advantages sound cards provide over integrated. using crap speakers or headphones won't produce much of a difference as would using better quality components. from personal experience using integrated audio vs. my creative xi-fi on my logitech z2300s was a night and day difference. the difference was even greater when i used my 2.1 receiver setup at home. and yes, the first gen shuffles are probably as good as it goods in terms of sound quality among flash players.
 
It is difficult to give a definitive answer. For example, I absolutely LOVE the integrated Realtek 883 sound on my motherboard, and I am still shocked that I love it. I used to have an Audigy 2ZS, and while it sounded good, it didn't sound as good as the Realtek. But, I have heard other people with different motherboards, which also have the Realtek 883, say their audio constantly pops and crackles...
If you are not satisfied with your current sound (i.e., it pops and fizzles), and want something basic, you can get some nice low-cost cards very easily. But if you're thinking of a general upgrade, find the motherboard you want first, then look at its audio, read reviews on the audio specific to that board, then make your decision.
 
It is difficult to give a definitive answer. For example, I absolutely LOVE the integrated Realtek 883 sound on my motherboard, and I am still shocked that I love it.

I agree. I had an Audigy also back in the day. When I upgraded motherboards a while back I found that my Intel board (at work and I don't remember the exact model) had an onboard soundcard with optical out, which is how I connect my PC to my receiver. I found that the sound was actually much much better from the onboard card. I had read it was good, but I was shocked at how good.

I have actually received many complements on my sound setup from audiophiles who were pretty horrified when I told them that it came from a built in card ;) I think they felt a little better when I told them the board used vacuum tube amplification heh

It really depends on what you have.

EDIT: I didn't include that my board is also based off Realtek. ALC650 IIRC.
 
I agree. I had an Audigy also back in the day. When I upgraded motherboards a while back I found that my Intel board (at work and I don't remember the exact model) had an onboard soundcard with optical out, which is how I connect my PC to my receiver. I found that the sound was actually much much better from the onboard card. I had read it was good, but I was shocked at how good.

I have actually received many complements on my sound setup from audiophiles who were pretty horrified when I told them that it came from a built in card ;) I think they felt a little better when I told them the board used vacuum tube amplification heh

It really depends on what you have.

EDIT: I didn't include that my board is also based off Realtek. ALC650 IIRC.

uh yeah if you are using the optical out, all its doing is sending the signal to your receiver thats doing the decoding. The receiver is what is going to determine how good the sound is.
 
yea i was about to ask that, if its optical it should make absolutely no difference right since its all just digital. i plan to use the optical out port on my mobo so there really isnt any need for a sound card right?
 
Sorry don't want to sound like an ass, but use the search button? :)
There is a Bezillion threads about this subject.
And yeh..they're right :)
 
uh yeah if you are using the optical out, all its doing is sending the signal to your receiver thats doing the decoding. The receiver is what is going to determine how good the sound is.

Hell if I know. I just know it sounds noticeably better from the on-board over my sound card. I switched back and forth several times to make sure and asked a few friends what they thought.

I like good sound, but my experience in getting good sound comes from testing (and often returning) a whole lot of stuff, not from knowing the hows and whys. *shrug*
 
LoneBullet.be go away. if youre not going to add substance to the thread and youre just going to whine, then dont post.
Hell if I know. I just know it sounds noticeably better from the on-board over my sound card. I switched back and forth several times to make sure and asked a few friends what they thought.

I like good sound, but my experience in getting good sound comes from testing (and often returning) a whole lot of stuff, not from knowing the hows and whys. *shrug*
it sounds noticably better from one optical port to the other? i remember reading that optical ports all have the same sample rate/bit rate but maybe this is not true? maybe they all have a max and some are less quality than others? please share some details on your experience (mobo and soundcard model)
 
The soundcard was an Audigy Platinum and the motherboard is a A Open AX4B. I was actually trying to find the stupid Audigy right now to give it a listen again, but I have no idea where I put it. I still use the AX4 system as my net/mustic machine, but I also have a newer D945PVS rig that is my gaming machine. It also has an optical out on-board sans vacuum tubes. I might have to lug it up here and see. I just always assumed my new mobo made the improvement, but perhaps my Audigy had problems or was dirty or something.
 
wow...with ASIO everything is new now...the music is better..thanks to my xfi..i know theres a better sound card out there with asio option but this is great..

so this is an advantage of using a sound card via intergrated..:) :)
 
I went from a dedicated sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer) to onboard and I honestly could not tell the difference. There was some light crackling every once and a while, but hardly anything else.

~Ibrahim~
 
I went from a dedicated sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer) to onboard and I honestly could not tell the difference. There was some light crackling every once and a while, but hardly anything else.

~Ibrahim~

depends on your settings actually..if u use a media player with ASIO, kernel streaming that would make a difference..

if ure using a low bitrate mp3, then it would not make a difference since te source is already bad..but imo..it outputs better music then an onboard...maybe my ears are lying to me but..i can hear the difference ;) ;)
 
If you run analogue there is a world of a difference if you have decent headphones or speakers... Speakers then you will have to pay extra to get good sound for...

But optical out it says itself not much difference. Since your receiver is doing the conversion from digital to analogue sound the onboard audio or soundcard is just a transport for the digital signal.

But analogue out I can´t explain how much my Realtek AL850 crap sucks... It´s so incredibly bad compared to X-fi, Xmeridian, Elite pro it´s ridiculous...

I do have HIFI headphones that is very detailed and not very forgiving for bad sources.
 
depends on your settings actually..if u use a media player with ASIO, kernel streaming that would make a difference..

if ure using a low bitrate mp3, then it would not make a difference since te source is already bad..but imo..it outputs better music then an onboard...maybe my ears are lying to me but..i can hear the difference ;) ;)

I don't know what ASIO or kernel steaming mean, lol! Just iTunes and WM11.

I'm the opposite of an audiophile <- no idea what the word of that is, lol...

I'm only judging by some MP3 songs (majority at 192k, a few at 128k) and in-game soundtracks/sounds...I am not be able to tell which I'm using. There is a slight crackling noise, however, whenever I scroll a web page.

My speakers, however, are completely off-brand (5.1), there isn't even a company name on them! I do, however, have a vague imprint of the words "POWER WOOFER" on my subwoofer and the model number OG-5050.

~Ibrahim~
 
I don't know what ASIO or kernel steaming mean, lol! Just iTunes and WM11.

I'm the opposite of an audiophile <- no idea what the word of that is, lol...

I'm only judging by some MP3 songs (majority at 192k, a few at 128k) and in-game soundtracks/sounds...I am not be able to tell which I'm using. There is a slight crackling noise, however, whenever I scroll a web page.

My speakers, however, are completely off-brand (5.1), there isn't even a company name on them! I do, however, have a vague imprint of the words "POWER WOOFER" on my subwoofer and the model number OG-5050.

~Ibrahim~

The crackling is probably a bad thing. Might want to check on any updates to your system. Some of the AOpen Shuttle PCs had an issue like that with the on-board sound that was fixed with a BIOS update. It could be you are having a similar issue.

Your speakers maker is most likely DCT (they use OG naming system), and yes it is a low end system by anyone's standards, but you could have done much worse. For the price (IIRC most DCT systems go for about $90) it isn't that bad and it is probably perfectly fine for your needs if you aren't huge on sound. I a more about sound than picture. I am sure some people here couldn't stand to use my Samsung SyncMaster 912n and Optiquest Q9 dual monitor setup, just like I probably wouldn't want to use your speakers ;) If it sounds good to you go with it heh.I would however check on that crackling.
 
Honestly, the crackling can only be heard if I turn the volume all the way. Shows you how much I care about my audio, lol!

Yeah, they came with my last system whose builder I would strangle with barbed wire any day (Hugebee). I could've gotten these or some beige 2.1 ones. I chose these.

For me, if it can produce noise at a decent volume with limited distortion, I'm OK with it. Of course, it is extremely subjective, :D

I'm getting a new system (P5N-E SLI) and the new onboard should be better unless OPC somehow cured the Creative + Vista issue they were having with my sound card, then I should be good to go. (The card is an old Audigy Gamer, btw)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in my situation would it better to get an X-Fi sound card or upgrade my speakers to some nice Logitech ones?

~Ibrahim~
 
Back
Top